High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-hardware-general-discussion-18/)
-   -   7.1 set but the rears arent working (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-hardware-general-discussion/74595-7-1-set-but-rears-arent-working.html)

CXK 12-20-2008 01:54 AM

7.1 set but the rears arent working

I just got a new surround reciever, sub and some speakers. I'm using the Onkyo HT-S6100 HTIB (switched the sub out for a Supercube I...little overkill haha) and right now I'm using an LG BD300 Blu-Ray player. Were watching Iron Man connected via HDMI with the LG set to pass the audio to the reciever for processing (at least I think thats what it means). The side speakers are acting as the rear surround speakers right now. I know the movie isnt 7.1 but why would this be happening?

Things ive checked:
Speaker wires are properly connected to the reciever (and verified that they all work)

I've tried letting the Blu-ray player do the audio stuff and they did turn on but the woofer didnt really have any bass when I tried that.

The DTS-HD and TrueHD logos show up when needed.
Ive heard of this problem before, is there anything I can do?

edit: My primary BD player will be my PS3 when it returns from repair. If that helps.

dominica 12-20-2008 02:29 AM

I have don't have a Onkyo HT-S6100 Receiver. However, going off memory from my friends system :

When You are watching a 5.1 movie and you see: PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD on the receiver.

Use your remote and select Movie/TV button and select Dolby PLIIx Movie. This mode will expand 5.1 channel sources to 7.1 for movies. When you have a true 7.1 source it will do it automatically for you.

Listening Mode: (PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD) + Dolby PLIIx

Movie/TV Mode on Remote : Dolby PLIIx Movie

or for Music

Music Mode on Remote: Dolby PLIIx Music

CXK 12-20-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominica (Post 1340966)
I have don't have a Onkyo HT-S6100 Receiver. However, going off memory from my friends system :

When You are watching a 5.1 movie and you see: PCM, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD on the receiver.

Use your remote and select Movie/TV button and select Dolby PLIIx Movie. This mode will expand 5.1 channel sources to 7.1 for movies. When you have a true 7.1 source it will do it automatically for you.

or for Music

THANKS! It seemed to have worked. The TrueHD light is still on, so I'll still be hearing the uncompressed goodness? I'm new to this, ive had Blu-ray but just an old home theater system so i never really got to have the TrueHD/DTS-HD sound. And I'm finally using HDMI so the picture does look better than component. Exciting stuff.

dominica 12-20-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CXK (Post 1340974)
THANKS! It seemed to have worked. The TrueHD light is still on, so I'll still be hearing the uncompressed goodness? I'm new to this, ive had Blu-ray but just an old home theater system so i never really got to have the TrueHD/DTS-HD sound. And I'm finally using HDMI so the picture does look better than component. Exciting stuff.

Congrats and enjoy. Yup with the TrueHD lights on your are still hearing the uncompressed goodness even with the Dolby PLIIx Movie. If you put the PS3 back it will say PCM instead of True HD or DTS HD. Make sure you set your PS3 to Linear PCM (It Decodes all the formats internally and send it to PCM)

PS3 Settings:

Under Video Settings:
BD DVD Dyanamic Range Control: OFF
BD/DVD Audio Output Format HDMI: Linear PCM

Under Music Settings
Audio CD Import : MP3 320 kbps
Audo CD Output Frequency: 44.1/88.2/176..4 kHZ
Bitmapping: Type 3

Under Sound Settings

Click Audio Output Settings
Select HDMI
Select Automatic (manual if you want to tweak it)
X Enter (Save)

Note Sure what TV you have.

Enjoy

Favelle 12-20-2008 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominica (Post 1340966)

or for Music

So when he selects PLIIx, he'll still be listening to the lossless audio, but the rear channels will be "matrixed" into 4 speaker instead of two for 5.1 material, right?

If PLIIx is selected, what happens with true 7.1 material?

macachia 12-20-2008 04:17 AM

I can't find the dolby plIIx movie option on the onkyo 606. Whenever i selectdifferent listening modes, i only get: direct, multich and pure.

Any idea please? I'd really like to upmix 5.1 to 7.1

thanks

CXK 12-20-2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macachia (Post 1341024)
I can't find the dolby plIIx movie option on the onkyo 606. Whenever i selectdifferent listening modes, i only get: direct, multich and pure.

Any idea please? I'd really like to upmix 5.1 to 7.1

thanks

I dont know a lot about the 606, i bought it and returned it since it was an impulse buy and really didnt need to put it on credit. BUT, from what ive read this reciever looks like a modified 606. I could be wrong of course.

CXK 12-20-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favelle (Post 1341011)
So when he selects PLIIx, he'll still be listening to the lossless audio, but the rear channels will be "matrixed" into 4 speaker instead of two for 5.1 material, right?

If PLIIx is selected, what happens with true 7.1 material?

I'm hoping thats the case, it does say the PLIIx and the Dolby TrueHD thing is lit up also.

Favelle 12-20-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CXK (Post 1341582)
I'm hoping thats the case, it does say the PLIIx and the Dolby TrueHD thing is lit up also.

Yeah, the TrueHD light is on, then that must be the case....

CXK 12-20-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favelle (Post 1341595)
Yeah, the TrueHD light is on, then that must be the case....

It kind of sucks that it has to do it that way. I was kind of hoping to see the screen have the large "True HD" or "DTS-Master Audio" on the screen rather than PLIIx Movie and a little trueHD logo.