What's the use of BD-Live? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Default What's the use of BD-Live?

What's the use of BD-Live? For example, I just watched Kung Fu Panda again and checked the BD-Live and it is the same as when I bought the BD several months ago. Wasn't the main advantage of this interactivity to have content added over time? Or am I missing something?
Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Well I think a good answer is the Transformers bluray which got 10 or more new speacial features video in the run up to the sequal of the film. Or Disney BD-Live which has been constantly evolving with new features added to the system, or Uni/Sony/WB which are doing the same... For instance the Lord of the Rings HD trailer which was added to TDK.

So you see, it's difficult to judge the value of BD-Live based on a single disc.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post
What's the use of BD-Live? For example, I just watched Kung Fu Panda again and checked the BD-Live and it is the same as when I bought the BD several months ago. Wasn't the main advantage of this interactivity to have content added over time? Or am I missing something?

meh, and it's nothing we couldn't download using more regular methods. BD live is a stoopid gimmick and I hope it eventually gets dropped.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 AM

I recently got my BD connected to the internet and was playing around with some of the BD live features on some of my discs.

I'm most impressed by the additional features for THE DARK KNIGHT. In addition to that I love the LORD OF THE RINGS trailer and the FACEBOOK connection. I think that connecting to social networking sites such as Facebook/Twitter/Myspace are exciting prospects.

On my GLORY disc, I connected to Sony's portal and while I feel there can be some definite improvements, I did like the promo for MOVIE IQ, where you'll have access to an always updated database of movie facts. I do admit being suprised how little Sony actually has on their webportal given how agressive they've been.

I connected my BOURNE discs to Universal's website and while there is not much for Bourne, there are some nice previews for upcoming titles, though all in SD. However i'm anxious to see any additional uses.

With all 3 it does seem their is a community/chat option which seems to have potential when scheduling events, though tapping away on a remote is not my sense of excitement.

Have yet to have a disc that can connect to the Disney portals so I don't know what's available there. Does Paramount/Dreamworks even have a portal and does FOX/MGM?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
I recently got my BD connected to the internet and was playing around with some of the BD live features on some of my discs.

I'm most impressed by the additional features for THE DARK KNIGHT. In addition to that I love the LORD OF THE RINGS trailer and the FACEBOOK connection. I think that connecting to social networking sites such as Facebook/Twitter/Myspace are exciting prospects.

On my GLORY disc, I connected to Sony's portal and while I feel there can be some definite improvements, I did like the promo for MOVIE IQ, where you'll have access to an always updated database of movie facts. I do admit being suprised how little Sony actually has on their webportal given how agressive they've been.

I connected my BOURNE discs to Universal's website and while there is not much for Bourne, there are some nice previews for upcoming titles, though all in SD. However i'm anxious to see any additional uses.

With all 3 it does seem their is a community/chat option which seems to have potential when scheduling events, though tapping away on a remote is not my sense of excitement.

Have yet to have a disc that can connect to the Disney portals so I don't know what's available there. Does Paramount/Dreamworks even have a portal and does FOX/MGM?
nobody taps in chat messages on their remote, we all use our laptops check out my movie night thread stickied in this forum, and in my sig. It has instructions on how to access a web based text entry portal for all studio's that have implemented movie chats. Works out a lot better.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
nobody taps in chat messages on their remote, we all use our laptops check out my movie night thread stickied in this forum, and in my sig. It has instructions on how to access a web based text entry portal for all studio's that have implemented movie chats. Works out a lot better.
Seems I need to invest in a laptop...lol. Or get the one that I have fixed. Seriously, thanks for sharing and that does open up a lot for a movie discussion after a community viewing.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 AM

Laptops are a dime a dozen these days! Heck you can get full laptops for netbook prices!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post
I watched TDK yet again last night and I also did the Facebook linking. I don't really understand the purpose of doing so though. It seems like it just reproduces your profile page from the WB BD-Live website (which is kinda empty *cough*) into your Facebook.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

So studios can keep track of what you watch and bombard you with numerous advertisements for their products and sponsored products.

Oh, and its a way to trick you into thinking you are getting 'extra' content when infact it could very well fit on the disc but they rather you view a handful of their advertisements first. Rare exceptions when new content is created after the title has been on the shelf for more then a month (Transformers for example).
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 AM

Well I did enjoy THE DARK KNIGHT features on James Newton Howard's Harvey Dent theme and his and Zimmer's collaboration at the screening.