Disney movie chat still seriously flawed - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM

Default Disney movie chat still seriously flawed

This is a sudo follow up to the thread Crazzeto started in smackdown when me and him first tried out movie chat with Sleeping Beauty.

We both listed several issues we had during the chat from trying to create a loggin to even being able to chat.

A couple of nights ago we gave it another go this time with Wall-E. And unfortunately the experience was no better. No loggin issue this time but as far as I am concerened there chat function just does not work at anything approaching an acceptable level.

This time around I had a USB keyboard plugged into my PS3 to make text entry easier. However, with this setup there is a lagg with every key you press and since I type fairly quickly this lagg resulted in me dropping characters all the time. The effect is that you have to type so slowly it actually gets painfull

Then there is still the problem with text entries going off screen after you get more than one line long so you cant see what you are typing (a big issue with the lagg dropping characters).

But worst off all whole lines of text are still being dropped when you enter them.

This system just doesnt work (and after trying out the Warner Bros version on 'The Dark Knight' I really would suggest that Disney just copy the Warner version. It works much, much better)

Very quickly Crazzeto and I decided to just have Disney sync the movie for us and chat over IM instead. Thats still a very damning condemnation of how bad their chat software is.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM

yeah, it was some serious suck... In fact I'd say they haven't fixed anything at all with their BD-Live software. For isntance attempting to use the number pad to tap in text still suffers from a "double tap" bug. Very dissapointing disney, I'd like to try a disney title again eventually once I have a working 2500.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:16 PM

not to totally rag on bd-live, but I'm more than happy to wait out the beta period.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Disney sucks, WB totally rocks though.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM

WB certainly does.......for every single thing that Disney gets wrong Warner was the complete oposite. No problems what so ever logging in and text entry worked flawlessly. I cant remember how may people we had logged in at the same time on The Dark Knight movie night but it was working flawlessly.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 AM

I think we had 8 people, that's the one big limitation with WB that irks me some... The 8 person per chat rule, I hope that's something they remove going forward.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 AM

That is an annoying limitation. However, Warners system worked great with 8 people (although I wish there had been some way to scroll back in the text since only the last 3-4 comments stay on screen at once)

I just cant imagine the Disney system with 8 people on it at once. It was painfull just with 2
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM

What are you talking about dave, MSN pizzowned any BD live chat I've seen

Of course there's the small detail that with WB's system there's generally no great need to be using MSN
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Update:
Well for starters disney has removed the contact information link from www.disneybdlive.com... I decided to finally call in the "double key press" issue with TT9 text entry durring movie chat, in order to find the phone number I had to find my post that layed out contacting disney and the experience on the phone with them in the movie night thread.

Anyway, having finally found the phone number I called them up and finally reported the issue. There were a couple of peices of goodnews that did come from this call. First of all, they guy on the phone let me know that they do in fact have a Samsung BD-P1500 in house for testing! That was great news to me, tells me Disney seems to finally be moving on from this idea of "well it seemed to work on the PS3, why wouldn't it work on any other bluray player"... That's a nice theory, it doesn't work out in the field.

The second peice of good news is the guy claims that claims external text entry from a blackberry/iphone works... I have to imagine they implemented this as a web interface, so hopefully maybe text entry from a laptop works and for some reason it just didn't work the night dave and I tried it again? Or at the very least maybe (just maybe) I could at least get it going from my Windows Mobile smart phone? Either option would rock trying to use the bluray player remote, particularly since it isn't functional.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 PM

Do you want to give that a quick try some time and see if it does work. You dont have to sit through the entire film again, just to see if it is working now?