Dark Knight BD Live and Panasonic BD35 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Dark Knight BD Live and Panasonic BD35

Hi,
This is my first time posting so not sure if this is the right spot for this but I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with the Dark Knight's BD Live features with the DMP-BD35P-K from Panasonic?
Pretty much anytime I try watching any of the streaming content the title of clip get blown up and superimposed over the video image the whole time and then the player freezes when the clips end regardless of which clip or trailer I play. Also does everyone else find themselves needing to log in everytime they sign into BD live regardless if they have the little "Remember me WB" box checked? This is the first disc I've had this much trouble getting this stuff to work with so I'm really hoping it's not the player. I tried reformatting the SD card but that didnt help.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this
Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbert View Post
Hi,
This is my first time posting so not sure if this is the right spot for this but I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with the Dark Knight's BD Live features with the DMP-BD35P-K from Panasonic?
Pretty much anytime I try watching any of the streaming content the title of clip get blown up and superimposed over the video image the whole time and then the player freezes when the clips end regardless of which clip or trailer I play. Also does everyone else find themselves needing to log in everytime they sign into BD live regardless if they have the little "Remember me WB" box checked? This is the first disc I've had this much trouble getting this stuff to work with so I'm really hoping it's not the player. I tried reformatting the SD card but that didnt help.
i dont have this player but i was planning on buying it. did you upgrade your bd-live to 2.0? if not maybe thats why its all messed up.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Hmmm, I logged into the BD-Live with the 1500 but I really didn't take the oppertunity to test out any of the content. I'll have to give this a try.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Hey Boston-I'm not sure but I thought the player was automatically BD live 2.0 capable right? I know its supposed to be capable of 2.0 so figured that should work out of the box. Anyway I just downloaded its most recent firmware update yesterday and it still didn't help.

I just spoke to the panasonic customer support a little while ago and he seems to feel this might be something on Warner's end. So if anyone can let me know if the streaming video in BD Live's media center is playing ok for them (i.e. the title doesnt cover the screen the whole time and the video doesnt freeze the player when it ends) please let me know. I'm curious if it works even for people with other players than the BD35k too.

I can't find any mention of this anywhere so I'm not sure if I need to bring back the disc or if I'm the only person who bothered watching Mad Love yet

Also does WB even have a technical support line for home video. I tried calling around over there and got a major runaround.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Well, I just tried it on the Samsung BD-P1500 with firmware version 2.1 off of the TDK 3 disc set (not sure if there are different sets) and everything works flawlessly... I would suggest checking for a firmware update, should be very easily done from the main menu.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Thanks. I'm really starting to wonder if my player is defective--not sure why it is resizing and freezing the videos this way but since the firmware update just came out yesterday it doesn't seem to help. I really wonder if other panasonic players are having this issue. Starting to regret not just getting the ps3 despite my hate for sony.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:21 PM

I'm having trouble with Wall-E all of the sudden now (I know I'm changing discs on ya). Extrodenarly fustrating, I updated and installed BD-Live from Wall-E not too long ago and now all of the sudden it just doesn't work. Part of me had the same thought you are about the PS3, but quite honestly.. More than anything else it makes me more determained not to get one.

Studio's need to under stand real darn fast that it's not enough to test with the PS3 and call it good. That is flat out unacceptable if they want to advertise BD-Live features, they need to be getting it right period. BD-Live errors need to be the exception not the rule.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I get the same thing on my BD55 which has the same guts as the 35 so it's not your player. Welcome to the bleeding edge.

Dave
Old 12-13-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hi,
Interesting. I'm still waiting on my copy of the Dark Knight from Amazon, but I couldn't get the BD Live feature on Wall-E to work last night, so I think the Panny 35/55 definitely have some issues with BD Live. The only other BD title I have is Iron Man and that works fine, so I know the memory card & network connection are OK. But Iron Man's BD Live is pretty simple - it just checks for an update, and then when you go into the BD Live menu you can download a stupid game. On Wall-E, when I went into the BD Live function on the main menu, it told me BD Live was not yet available in "my location" (Tucson, AZ area). 20 minutes on the phone with Disney support couldn't resolve it. I temporarily also have a Sony BD350, so tried Wall-E in it - and I could immediately see the problem. On the BDP35, the disc doesn't try to connect to Disney and download the disc update like it did on the Sony. After it loaded the update, the BD Live feature worked fine on the Sony 350, except for the idiots at Sony engineering. I hate Sony too, and they make the worst designed remote controls ever. You have to use the toggle buttons to maneuver up & down the virtual keyboard. Well, the clever fellows at Sony put a "Home" button 1/8th of an inch below the down toggle button, so when my big thumb would also hit the "Home" button", you are instantaneously dumped out of the movie and into the player's main menu. Then you have to re-load the disc all over, re-load the connection to Disney BD Live, re-log in again, and pray my thumb doesn't hit "Home" again which, despite my prayers, it did repeatedly.

But, in answer to your question, Wall-E BD Live will not work at all on the Panasonic BD35, so I think you TDK Live problems are player related, and Panasonic will someday issue a firmware to correct it. I'm on the 12/8 issued FW 1.6, and it doesn't fix any BD Live problem.

EDIT: Well, I'm giving up on Amazon and just ordered TDK for in store pickup from Best Buy. My copy from Amazon now seems to be coming from Phoenix to Tucson (90 miles) by way of Denver (600 miles). So I'll try the BD Live on my Panasonic BD35 tonight and post the results.

Last edited by Cochise; 12-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Honestly I think Disney particularly is doing a bad job with BD-Live, I guess we'll find out next friday whether warner is better.