BD-Live rant - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Default BD-Live rant

gah.... I am done with BD-Live. My system is a PS3. My wifi connection is stable (as evidenced by my games) and my internet is stable and fast (as evidenced by my downloading). But seemingly no matter what BD-Live disc I connect to, my experience will almost ALWAYS be a hassle.

Last night I popped in Iron Man again. Another screen popped up saying there was an update, so I went to download it... after 10 minutes it just stopped progressing. Dropped to XMB and went back in. This time I skipped the download and just watched the movie. After movie is over I pop in Hellboy 2 to mess around with it. Asks me if I Want to download BD-Live. I say sure.. it gets 1/4 of the way through and hangs up. Reboot and do it again, get halfway through and hangs up.. reboot one last time it makes it all the way through. I sign up for Universal's BD-Live site and tool around.... no BD-Live content yet.. hmmm... Ok, I slap in Incredible Hulk which I also grabbed yesterday. Downloads BD-Live update right away (wow!) and I go to login and it tells me invalid username/password combination... I login on both Hellboy 2 and the web again with the username/password and it work, login with hulk and it comes back invalid.

I know it sounds like a broken record "If they can't even get this stuff working how do they expect it to take off in the mainstream?" but really... how do they?

And the Hellboy issue (likely caused by loaded servers) is even more frustrating as they (Universal) JUST HAD a major BD-Live enabled wide release just a few weeks earlier (that for some reason isn't working now).

These companies need to expect unexpected growth. They need to expect that BD will take off even beyond their most optimistic predictions. Because if they don't, when it does take off faster than predicted you are going to have even more consumers annoyed that their players are locking up, connections are getting dropped, etc.

Of course BD-Live is a very small part of BD.. but I know I am overly soured on Hellboy 2 and Incredible Hulk as a result and the BD-Live feature in general.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM

This might have received more attention in smackdown.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM

eh... really didn't want to stir up the pot.. just a rant after about an hour of frustration last night.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Honestly? I find BD Live to be a waste of my time. I felt the same with HD DVD in terms of downloadable content. Maybe I am just getting old or something, but I typically just like to watch the movie itself, and a few extras if it is a movie I am really into and want to learn more about. I tried playing around with the Sleeping Beauty BD Live extras and was frustrated just trying to sign in. It is just not worth the hassle to me. I am just not into playing trivia games, chatting, etc. I am sure BD Live will evolve over time and may actually be interesting to me at some point, but it seems to fall short right now.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Other than some mild issues with getting the Disney stuff setup I have had pretty good experiences with BD LIVE. Paramount doesnt even require that you creat an account. I dont like the way that trailers are streamed on Universals titles as the quality is really poor. Sony does trailers better but it takes a bit.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Formerly metsfan1545d

bd live is a waste to me, ive only used it once and that was to download a quantom of solace video and it took 25 mins to download a 2 min clip so im done with it
Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM

And this was all before the latest raft of issues with TDK and the lastest Panasonics, and--for some--ALL Universal BD-Live titles.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM

I'm sick of all this crap too. I'm sick of Blu Ray Java too (or B-J as I call it)... They have introduced inconsistency in the format. For normal Blu Rays, disk resume works. For BJ disks, I have to go to a menu and bookmark if I want to resume, then when I want to I got to load the bookmark. And clean it up after.

I just want to watch the movie, and sometimes, watch the docos. All this PIP doco stuff is just crap. I still would like to see the doco on Doomsday but I can't be bothered watching the movie and waiting for popups.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Haven't experienced big issues with BD-live personally. Only thing that has happened is that sometimes a BD-live site isn't up and running at the time of release of a movie, but aside from that, no issues to report.

I'll agree on the Java issue though. Some discs can easily and smoothly be resumed, others not. However, I find PiP a nice feature personally. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
Honestly? I find BD Live to be a waste of my time. I felt the same with HD DVD in terms of downloadable content. Maybe I am just getting old or something, but I typically just like to watch the movie itself, and a few extras if it is a movie I am really into and want to learn more about.
+1. I also hate how studios claim BD-Live one of the reasons they can charge an outrageous sum for a Blu-ray disc. If it isn't spectacular enough to be on the disc itself, then I don't really care.