Special Features in Standard Definition - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Special Features in Standard Definition

I apologize if this is a re-tread; I swear I searched for a similar thread.

Why the hell are studios still tacking on special features in Standard Definition? Is it really that hard to transfer them to HD? I just recently grew fond of special features, and I want them all in HD dammit!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:27 PM

In many cases special features are filmed in SD - 4X3 SD no less.

I do agree that new releases should have HD extras.... if they are filmed in HD at least.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Now View Post
I just recently grew fond of special features, and I want them all in HD dammit!
I actually lost interest in special features once I started buying Blu. All I really care about are the commentaries now.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler View Post
I actually lost interest in special features once I started buying Blu. All I really care about are the commentaries now.
I recently started getting into the commentaries as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I apologize if this is a re-tread; I swear I searched for a similar thread.

Why the hell are studios still tacking on special features in Standard Definition? Is it really that hard to transfer them to HD? I just recently grew fond of special features, and I want them all in HD dammit!
As Super-VHS said until very recently most "behind the scenes" filming has been done with standard definition video cameras shooting 24p. There is no point in up converting SD video to HD.

Doug
Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 AM

I don't really have a problem with SD special features, they are a one time watch for me.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM

It's quite true that tons of the documentaries & featurettes you see on discs were shot on videotape. Some are shot on film but they are easily in the minority. I agree that the filmed docs should be transferred to HD though. But really only the newer films from the past couple years are likely to have featurettes and docs shot on HD video. More and more, we are getting these newer special features in HD, which is nice. Though I like extras, especially the meaty documentaries (an hour or longer), SD vs. HD extras have never been a factor in any of my BD purchases.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Even if they are shot on video or tape or whatever it should be an industry standard that EVERY feature on a Blu Ray should be in HD. It makes no sense to have the feature film in stunning 1080p HD but port over the SD special features in 480i. It reeks of laziness, and it certainly isn't "bang for my buck".

Hell, if Coppala's 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' can have special features in HD, why can't every film? It just doesn't make sense to me, other than another strike of laziness against the studios.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Even if they are shot on video or tape or whatever it should be an industry standard that EVERY feature on a Blu Ray should be in HD. It makes no sense to have the feature film in stunning 1080p HD but port over the SD special features in 480i. It reeks of laziness, and it certainly isn't "bang for my buck".
There's no point to upscaling 480i content unless you just want to waste space. Features shot on film or HD video should be in HD, I agree, but if the source is SD there's no point.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Hell, if Coppala's 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' can have special features in HD, why can't every film? It just doesn't make sense to me, other than another strike of laziness against the studios.
A few of Dracula's features were shot on 16mm film. Film, even 16mm, can be remastered to HD and wind up looking great.

Also, American Zoetrope can take the time to remaster these film elements.... they're a small facility that is owned by the director. He can tell them to take the time, because, it's 'his house'....

When things are shot on SD video (and Dracula has a few thrown in - compare them) the will look like that no matter how much tweaking. Even upconverted SD is still SD. It will look no better really and waste a lot more space than just plain ol' 480i SD.

It's similar to 28 Days Later - almost that whole movie was shot on SD video and on the blu-ray it's been upconverted to 1080p. It looks no better (with the exception of the 35mm sequence) upconverted than it does in SD resolution on DVD.