Digital Copy Codes, Why do they Expire? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-16-2010, 01:55 AM

Question Digital Copy Codes, Why do they Expire?

Seeing as this is a new feature that started out small and is now attached to almost every new movie release (not all)

The thing is if there is only a one time redemption on the code, why does it have to expire? Some people, like myself don't have enough room on a computer (each movie can take between 1-2gbs of room at a time) or share a computer. This comes to some people putting off on the Digital Copy or not bothering with it because they do not own an iPod or other portable video player. Then at a time, when they crack open the case (this happened with me about a year or so ago) to find the Digital Copy and figure, why not put it in itunes and transfer it to your video ipod? I had put off on this Blu-Ray for a while until a holiday came up and it was on sale for cheap, maybe 15$? (movie was Death Race) So i purchased it and ended up redeeming the Digital Copy ONE DAY before it expired (had it expired i would NOT have been a happy camper -_-) but a month or so ago i got back into trying to watch the Dark Knight, 2 times prior i had really thought it was a horrible movie..Third time around i enjoyed it and found my brother had it on Blu-Ray with a Digital Copy, knowing he doesn't bother with the Digital Copies (only owned Dark Knight and Wedding Singer on BluRay, nothing else) i went to copy it on my iTunes to find it had expired December 2009.

Basically i'm just wondering why they bother to make them Expire, you purchase it included with the movie and it is on a separate disc, i can understand the one time redemption to keep people from sharing the disc around. I just don't understand the Expiration :/
Old 09-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Default Double Rainbow, What does it Mean?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read on the Warner stickers, the Digital Copy is meant to be an incentive to purchase the movie within the initial release timeframe, maybe so they can maximize sales or boost sales numbers during this launch period.

The Digital Copy expiration is coherent with that idea, in that, it's an infalible way to know that you won't get the "prize" or "added bonus" if you didn't actually got the movie early.

I think the reasoning behind this, is: if you use the Digital Copies, and purchase a BD on the release week, why would you wait, like, a year and a half to use the code, "right?" And if you don't use DCs, you won't mind anyways.

Apparently, having no space on your HDD, or jumping on the DC train at a later date is not a possible scenario for these guys. Tell me about it. I've lost the opportunnity to redeem my Matrix and Yes Man! movies
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 PM

i have found with a few that if you missed your time to upload the movie you can change the date on your computer and if you disconnect from the net it will think it's still within the time frame and allow you to move it to a portable device.

others still need to go online and check with a server or something... it will not do anything till it does. but i'm sure there is a way to circumvent things to still use it.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 AM

Wish I knew too. Gotta be about money. The retailers and sellers of movies want your money.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 AM

Are you sure this works? My computer is a mac and I cannot seem to hack the date.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:52 AM

I can't stand this rip off feature, first off you get charged extra for the digital copy that expires faster than you can load it (IF YOU CAN LOAD IT)!!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM

I recently bought an ipad and a mac. I put in a digital copy of Dark Knight that I got with the original blu release in December of '08. I was expecting the copy to be long expired but I tried it anyway and it worked. I also tried other copies that are at least a year old and they all worked. The only ''funny'' copy I had was Star Trek...it did not recognize the ipad. Only the iphone or ipod touch.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Digital Copy codes definitely expire for the itunes version. There are a few studios that do not seem to enforce the expiration on the Windows Media Player Version (Sony, Fox, Universal). Coincidentally, those three studios do not enforce Windows Media Player DRM on the WMV digital copies either so I can load those WMV's on my android smart phone and watch them. I know Disney, Warner, and Paramount enforce the expiration dates on the Windows Media Player Version digital copies. I know Disney enforces Windows Media Player DRM on the WMV digital copies, I suspect Warner and Paramount may as well but I have not verified this.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-MAN View Post
I can't stand this rip off feature, first off you get charged extra for the digital copy that expires faster than you can load it (IF YOU CAN LOAD IT)!!
So 1 year is longer than you can load it? Seriously, many of these last 1-2 years before the code expires. Stop being lazy and redeem them when you buy the title.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 AM

I think if you call there helpline you might be able to redeem it when it has expired.