Journey to the BD3D 350 club... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Default Journey to the BD3D 350 club...

Today, I'm at 311 3D blu-rays, including those on order. However, not only has the market changed but my life as well, hopefully for the better, as I'm going to be a first-time father in early Summer. So, life is no longer about me, my family, or my lifestyle but is and/or will be about my significant other, her friends and family, her lifestyle, and more importantly, about our child. Country boy meets big city college town girl.. yadda yadda.. So, by this time next year, there probably won't be a lot o 3D collecting, gaming, or doing much of anything that doesn't revolve around a child and family activities..

Usually when I make these threads, I do them at like 100 at a time.. BD3D 200 Club, 300, etc.. Now knowing how the market is heading, we can do it a little differently..

There certainly still are 3D projectors being sold, and I believe that even many 4k blu-ray UHD players have 3D blu-ray support built in. While we're not getting a whole lot of North-American 3D blu-ray releases any more, the biggest issue right now is the lack of 3D televisions being produced. Not everyone is willing to install a projection system, just like not everyone is willing to install a dedicated 7.1, atmos, or DTS: X audio system in their home, sans maybe some HTIB setups, which really are nothing like the real deal.

Lastly, there is the region coding issue. Some studios and/or distributors still region lock their releases, even when these same films often are not being released in North America. For example, Terminator 2 seems to be region locked in Europe, even though it seems like it was cancelled in North America. Ratatouille, Viy, The Forbidden Girl, Die Schneekönigin, Hunger Games Mockingjay II, Legends of Oz, Lost Place, Banshee Chapter, Tarzan (2013), Animals United, Need for Speed, etc, are all examples of 3D movies released in Europe that were not released in North America and were locked, and there are many more.

Obviously, the only way you're going to enjoy the full spectrum of what's available is to either get an all region player OR to have a player from each region. One other option may be to dual-boot a 3D HTPC, with a copy of Powerdvd installed for each region you want to use, likely one for A and one for B.

During black Friday, I picked up Book of Life, Lego Batman, and the Gods of Egypt steelbook. Today, my 311th blu-ray was ordered, Alice: Through the Looking Glass steelbook.

Other films I'm looking forward to, to help get to 350 are: Thor 3, The Maze, Star Wars: the last Jedi, Viy 2, if there's an English dubbed/subbed version, Bladerunner 2049, Justice League, Geostorm, Jumanji, Tomb Raider, Incredible 2, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Ant Man & the Wasp, etc..

As always, feel free to let us know where you are, in your 3D collection, and movies you're most looking forward to seeing! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:34 PM

So, I've since ordered blade runner, the maze, the last pirates film, geostorm, valerian, and last Jedi U.K. version. I decided not to get jumanji after seeing it in the theater and decided against justice league and tomb raider as of now, due to some of the 3D reviews I've read online. There are still many 3D films id like to get and see, but life has been so busy and hectic for me lately, that I've not even watched many of the ones already in my possession. So, if anyone is wondering where I've been, I'm basically preparing to have my first child, and that has tasked priority over my life right now. A lot of sacrifices have been made to move forward, but hopefully things will get easier and better over time, especially with time management.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:39 PM

Currently, pre-orders included, I'm at 331. This includes Avengers: Infinity War, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Ant Man and the Wasp, Black Panther, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Ready Player One, and others. Other films I'm looking forward to owning are The Meg, maybe Incredibles 2, Viy 2, Mortal Engines, Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse, Fantastic Beasts 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Alpha?, Venom?, and if they properly release a 3D blu-ray of Revenge of the Creature, definitely, as I've just recently cancelled my amazon order for their creature legacy collection, which included an SBS version of the film. Between future releases and back releases that I have not currently gotten yet, it should be pretty easy to hit that magical 350. Hopefully there will be a few more surprise releases between now and the next year or so. I hear 3D Film Archive is working on several old restorations and releases.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Currently at 337, after finding a few good sales/deals on Those Redheads from Seattle, Boss Baby, and Everest, with only 13 more to go.. Got The Meg and Sangaree preordered as well.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM

According to BD.com I have 347 movies, but I have purchased several recently that I have not added to my profile. So I am probably around 355 or so movies.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:36 PM

I ended up getting the meg from amazon free, because when I pre-ordered it, it was for the blu-ray, 3D, and digital versions, and apparently that was before amazon knew about the (best buy exclusive?) version, which had 2D, 3D, and digital included. Amazon later changed the product description to indicate it was a 3D only version with a digital copy, but I brought it up to Amazon, thinking maybe they would just send out a 2D blu-ray copy or something like that, but they decided to just fully refund it. I'm guessing this is a problem for multiple people, as they've take the meg 3D off of their site, at least temporary, with one of those warnings about the item being under review.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 AM

With orders and pre-orders, I'm at 355:
338: Zootopia (AUS)
339: The Good Dinosaur (AUS)
340: Monsters, Inc (AUS)
341: Finding Dory (AUS)
342: Angry Birds (UK)
343: Pan (UK)
344: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Chinese)
345: The Grinch
346: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (4k, 3D)
347: Step Up 3D
348: Jivaro
349: Incredibles 2 (UK, on order)
350: Deep Sea
351: Bunker of the Dead (German, on order)
352: Mortal Engines (UK, pre-ordered)
353: How to Train your Dragon 3: The Hidden World (UK, Pre-ordered)
354: Captain Marvel (UK, pre-ordered)
355: Dumbo (UK, Pre-ordered)

So I'm officially in the BD-350 club, finally..
Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Not sure what number I'm at, probably below 100, but I'm likely to end up getting a personal UHD TV set some time in the next year or so and the biggest problem is, as you said, a lack of sets that support 3D in NA. Our family set does support UHD. It's a 55", 2016 Model. We got it online on Boxing Day 2016. and it was $2000 CAN at the time.

I don't think either Costco or Best Buy had a 3D-UHD TV. Or even just a bog-standard 3D HDTV. It's even worse now online than it was before. Amazon.ca only has a couple sets that are UHD/4K and 3D and they cost over $10K CAN with shipping over $1000 as well, some 'music touch' thing. I have no friggen clue how I can get my hands on a reasonably priced 3D UHD TV. I might actually have to go without. Do they even make such TVs in North America anymore?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

malakai, where do you get your AUS releases from? I've wanted a few but they're expensive as all hell.