Sony 3D Tears - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Default Sony 3D Tears

Hi everyone,

Iíll try be as brief as I can. Iím a huge 3D Blu Ray fan but my tech jargon isnít great so please bear with me.

I have a Sony KD55X8505b Ultra HD TV. The 4K is fantastic. The passive 3D Ėunpredictable.

I donít know if itís the perfectionist in me but lately the 3D has started to disappoint. For example, blu ray review sites will give high praise to 3D releases like Pacific Rim, Monsters. Inc, Toy Story 2 and compliment them for having virtually zero crosstalk.
Eg: (At the beginning of Toy Story 2 when Buzz is jumping along the coins over that enormous chasm, the giant tower that disappears down into that chasm has a lot of ghosting surrounding it)

(Titles on screen two are never easy to read Ė you can see the left and right sides sitting next to eachother)

I can almost always spot crosstalk on my TV Ė normally itís at the top left or the bottom of the screen. Blu Rays that are described as flawless still have it on my display.

I should say that the TV is in my bedroom and not living room Ė so I sit pretty close to it. But Iíve tried every possible seating position Ė along the zero axis etc and the picture is still unpredictable.
The middle of the frame is normally fine but I canít take my eyes off the crosstalk out of focus in the background.

Iíve got a couple of questions
a) Am I missing something?
b) Are some Blu Rays truly exempt from crosstalk?
c) Whatís the best seating position?
d) If the foreground is in focus, does that mean crosstalk is ďallowedĒ in the out of focus background?

Thanks for your help. Any seating/calibration suggestions would be really appreciated.

Conor
Old 03-07-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConorBond007 View Post
Hi everyone,

Iíll try be as brief as I can. Iím a huge 3D Blu Ray fan but my tech jargon isnít great so please bear with me.

I have a Sony KD55X8505b Ultra HD TV. The 4K is fantastic. The passive 3D Ėunpredictable.

I donít know if itís the perfectionist in me but lately the 3D has started to disappoint. For example, blu ray review sites will give high praise to 3D releases like Pacific Rim, Monsters. Inc, Toy Story 2 and compliment them for having virtually zero crosstalk.
Eg: (At the beginning of Toy Story 2 when Buzz is jumping along the coins over that enormous chasm, the giant tower that disappears down into that chasm has a lot of ghosting surrounding it)

(Titles on screen two are never easy to read Ė you can see the left and right sides sitting next to eachother)

I can almost always spot crosstalk on my TV Ė normally itís at the top left or the bottom of the screen. Blu Rays that are described as flawless still have it on my display.

I should say that the TV is in my bedroom and not living room Ė so I sit pretty close to it. But Iíve tried every possible seating position Ė along the zero axis etc and the picture is still unpredictable.
The middle of the frame is normally fine but I canít take my eyes off the crosstalk out of focus in the background.

Iíve got a couple of questions
a) Am I missing something?
b) Are some Blu Rays truly exempt from crosstalk?
c) Whatís the best seating position?
d) If the foreground is in focus, does that mean crosstalk is ďallowedĒ in the out of focus background?

Thanks for your help. Any seating/calibration suggestions would be really appreciated.

Conor
A: Different televisions technologies handle crosstalk differently. Plasma TVs and DLP TVs/projectors handle crosstalk the best, yet DLP is only used on projection now days, and I believe plasma tvs aren't in production any more either.

B: It really depends on the director and stereographer and how they filmed the 3D film. It also depends on the TV and technology, as I said, as well as how each person perceives 3D.

C: I've not really noticed sitting in different locations (angles from the screen) being that much differently than sitting right in front of the screen, but there probably is a cutoff point. You'd probably have to check out your TV manual (or the Sony website) for its tech specs, to see if they have an answer.

D: There are many variables: director/stereographer intention, how aggressive they wanted to go with the 3D, setting the scene (or convergence) up incorrectly, using zoom (vs fixed) lenses that aren't set to infinite focus, etc. Background objects are often times out of focus, and those backgrounds are sometimes ghosted a little (or a lot, depending on the film) - So, yes, it happens.

I guess there is also the possibility that your TV isn't working correctly. Only you can gauge how bad these issues are and if they've gotten worse over time. If you're not experiencing good 3D, maybe you could list some of the films you've tried, and one of us may be able to give you more input. I haven't seen Toy Story 2 in 3D myself.