Cameron pushes back Avatar sequels another year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 AM

Default Cameron pushes back Avatar sequels another year

James Cameron pushes back Avatar sequels another year

The scripts aren't completed yet. I believe that the longer Cameron waits to start production, the less significant this franchise will be. Avatar, as a film, wasn't really that good, IMO. It was long in the tooth and not really original. Some people may call it another preachy tree-hugging save-the-planet type of film. What made it a great success was the immersive 3D experience, at a time before people were bombarded with tons of 3D films at the theater.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM

I agree that the franchise, if there is to be a franchise, becomes less and less relevant the more he delays it. On the other hand, it seems encouraging to me that he wants to spend more time working on the scripts. Perhaps this is an acknowledgement that the script for the first movie was its weakest aspect.

Far too many blockbuster movies these days go into production without a completed screenplay, and wind up with muddled, incomprehensible plots.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Far too many blockbuster movies these days go into production without a completed screenplay, and wind up with muddled, incomprehensible plots.
Or, far too many sequels go into production with a completed screenplay, etc...
They're like, oh shit, that movie made way more money than we expected, let's rush and make a sequel.