Your Pick For Best 3D Blu Release 2014!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 AM

Default Your Pick For Best 3D Blu Release 2014!!!

U.S.:

Transformers: Age Of Extinction
X-Men: Days Of Future Past
DragonFly Squadron (for historical reasons)

Foreign/Imports:

Frozen
Noah
Maleficent

Overall*: Frozen (the Mickey short tips the scales for me)

* Have but have not seen yet (and therefore reserve the right to change my mind and add a few more,lol): How To Train Your Dragon 2, The Bubble, Planes; Fire And Rescue, Sin City 2, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Peabody And Sherman, Tarzan
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 AM

Probably a tough one. I haven't seen Hercules, Noah, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Guardians of the Galaxy, Amazing Spiderman 2, or TMNT yet. Some people may not count a reissue from another year as a good candidate for 2014, but Born the be Wild came out in May, on a double feature, with To the Arctic. Born to be Wild is one of the greatest 3D documentaries I've seen.

Anyway, Thor: Dark World, Metallica: Through the Never, Gravity, Maleficent, Transformers: age of extinction, and Hobbit 2: Desolation of SMAUG would likely be my top list of 2014 candidates, throwing in HTTYD 2, CA: Winter Soldier, and Deepsea Challenge for good measure, based on what I've seen and what I haven't so far.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:10 PM

While I haven't seen every 3D Blu-Ray release this year, I've seen quite a few. Here are my brief thoughts on each, with my picks for the best ones this year:

Run - A blind buy when I first bought my 3D rig. Native 3D makes things look natural, but the movie itself is terribly boring.
Gravity - A Favorite - Strikes a great balance between action/drama/sci-fi/family accessible/compelling story/compelling visuals/demo disc/efficient running time.
47 Ronin 3D - (watched this in 3D via VuDu) Surprisingly forgettable, but not as bad as I expected...but still pretty dull.
I, Frankenstein - A guilty pleasure, it's 'Underworld' for people who got bored with that franchise. 3D made it fun enough to entertain. Sticks and hoodies.
Stalingrad 3D - From what I've seen, the 3D is very nice...but I keep falling asleep half an hour into it. Several attempts.
Pompeii - I'm a big Paul W.S. Anderson fan. He does action, and 3D well, as can be seen in the gladiator battles. But, in the disaster portion he shows he is no Ronald Emmerich. Left me underwhelmed.
The Lego Movie 3D - A Favorite - I went into this with an attitude, not expecting to like it. SO funny! Great visuals. Probably ranks higher on my 2014 Comedy list than 2014 3D list. Fingers crossed for MiB/Jump Street in 3D.
300 Rise of an Empire - Bought this just because. Glad I did, as I found the story solid and the battles exciting. On the high end of the "average" 3D films this year. Better period fix than Titans/Pompeii.
Protector 2 - Damn. Odd scenes, scaled back Jaa action, terrible CGI. Shows that martial arts can benefit from 3D...just needs to be better.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D - I didn't care for the movie. Visuals were great. Did anyone expect otherwise?
Captain America - The Winter Soldier - Fun movie, with some really great 3D shots. IMO, story is hindered by the floating gunship aspect.
Godzilla 3D - A Favorite - It was everything I wanted it to be. Bleak story, fantastic use of 3D with some very memorable shots.
Transformers Age of Extinction - Shiny. Shifting aspect ratios shift too often. Walberg is entertaining, but that's it. Did anyone expect otherwise?
Edge of Tomorrow 3D - A Favorite - Pretty much a perfect movie. (Of course time travel stories can be picked apart...but still...)
X-Men Days Of Future Past - Possibly the best X-Men film yet (a series I wrote off as terrible), with some very solid 3D.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D - A Favorite - Peter Jackson knows how to frame a 3D shot to make the most out of it. Not having read The Hobbit, I found the story entertaining.
Hercules 3D - A Favorite - It does what it does surprisingly well.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - A Favorite - Far more compelling than I expected it to be, with fantastic visuals.

---

The best this year?

#4 - Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - A riveting story, it's heavy tone can hinder it's rewatchability as a "fun" 3D movie.
#3 - Gravity - A movie for everyone, it feels like a theme park ride. Even when you know what is going to happen, it is exciting.
#2 - Edge of Tomorrow - Highly entertaining story, it isn't #1 (for 3D disc of the year) because odds are you can enjoy it just as much in 2D.
#1 - Godzilla - While it may not be perfect, it's use of 3D to contribute to the story is thrilling, and necessary viewing to get the best sense of scale.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 AM

Strictly with respect to the 3D, the best release of the year was THUNDER AND THE HOUSE OF MAGIC... by far.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRH View Post
Strictly with respect to the 3D, the best release of the year was THUNDER AND THE HOUSE OF MAGIC... by far.
That was the BEST blind buy for me...3D wise. Your right!! The 3D is AWESOME!!!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRH View Post
Wow I just tried this and from the very start this is on a league of its own!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Wow I just tried this and from the very start this is on a league of its own!
Glad you liked it. From the opening scene, I IMMEDIATELY moved my recliner closer to the screen....I knew I wanted to soak up those pop outs as much as possible. Hope the studio responsible releases another 3D blu release this year!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:12 AM

I just bought into 3D in September so I mostly own older releases that have 2D/3D versions so I'm very limited with 2014 releases.
So far my favorites are a 3 way tie: Captain America: Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, and Godzilla. I found myself rewatching these just to enjoy the 3D effects.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Glad you liked it. From the opening scene, I IMMEDIATELY moved my recliner closer to the screen....I knew I wanted to soak up those pop outs as much as possible. Hope the studio responsible releases another 3D blu release this year!!!
Oh indeed! The movie was kind of by the numbers but the 3D is so amazing that is my show of piece for anyone wanting to see what real 3D is all about. Comparing something like this to Cars for example, I felt so let down hoping for the same amazing effects!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin95 View Post
Oh indeed! The movie was kind of by the numbers but the 3D is so amazing that is my show of piece for anyone wanting to see what real 3D is all about. Comparing something like this to Cars for example, I felt so let down hoping for the same amazing effects!
Agreed. The movie was kind of an afterthought add on for me. The real star was the 3D presentation...BAR NONE!! Maybe Madagascar 3 3D, Christmas Carol 3D, Tangled, or A Turtles Tale (I or II) comes somewhat close to second to Thunder....but not really,imo. I have not seen an animated 3D blu that is EQUAL or MORE impressive than Thunder!!