What are your feelings about glasses-free 3D? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Default What are your feelings about glasses-free 3D?

This question was asked by Josh Zyber in the Will Glasses-Free 3D Finally Interest You in 3D? The Bonus View section but gave no place to answer with a comment. (Edit: The blog does have a comments section at the bottom of the page for comments on the main topic.)

James Cameron recently stated that "3D will surge again with glasses free technology"

My concern is that I hope Cameron knows what he's talking about! Because the two main glasses-free television systems now being developed, Dolby and Ultra-D, are creating multiple views using conversion algorithms to take the left eye from a 3-D BluRay and synthesize a new right eye through interpolated in-between images. i.e. The manufacturers are throwing away the original stereo and synthesizing new depth from a single view.
Current glasses-free televisions will not deliver director-intended 3D and several of the content creators are disgusted that both systems will destroy the theatrical stereoscopic intent! Also, neither company demonstrates with warnings that the 3-D has been modified from it's original format.

It looks like UHD Full 1080P Passive 3D will be the technology to beat for a while delivering the theatrical 3D experience.

Last edited by Paul H; 03-28-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:32 PM

My feelings are that auto-stereoscopic technology isn't good enough to compete with glasses-on 3D. I think polarized/passive 3D has a little ways to go but really needs a better way to deliver projection 3D, without having to buy special screens, special filters, dual projectors, and a special projector mounting system. It's not only expensive but is also a hassle for the mainstream consumer to setup. When easy passive 3D is achieved, it will be good enough.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I await the technology to get there with polarized glasses as well, I think we're almost there. I continue to buy the 3d combo packs when possible. I'd feel pretty dumb to blow all that money on a nice 3d display and have nothing to play on it.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Truth be known, the only use I've found with auto-stereoscopic displays are to line up closeup objects in the foreground of 3D images so that it doesn't create double ghosting in both the foreground and background, meaning too much separation in both foreground and background. No software can fix that problem in editing. When that happens, you can only hope to crop some of the background out and minimize the background ghosting, but most of the time, that doesn't even work. They're also good for making sure you're getting the whole image you want to take in a single shot, something you may not be able to do easily with a 3D camera that doesn't have a 3D screen. Obviously, I'm talking about 3D video or photography, but on a consumer level, I don't think these auto stereoscopic screens look good at all.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
This question was asked by Josh Zyber in the Will Glasses-Free 3D Finally Interest You in 3D? The Bonus View section but gave no place to answer with a comment.
The blog has a comments section at the bottom of every article. That post currently has 16 comments.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The blog has a comments section at the bottom of every article. That post currently has 16 comments.
Thanks for the heads-up. Looking at the page again I now see it is after the "Related Posts" section. My assumption was that it was covering those topics and I didn't read further. Will edit my first post.