ESPN Announces Plans to Shut Down ESPN 3D by the End of Year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM
HDD Editor

Post ESPN Announces Plans to Shut Down ESPN 3D by the End of Year

"Due to low adoption of 3D at home."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3804[/ATTACH]

Troubling news for fans of 3D and sports as ESPN has announced plans to shut down its ESPN 3D channel by the end of the year. The reasoning behind the decision leaves little to the imagination. ESPN banked heavily on the idea of capturing a new wave of 3D owners, but with "low adoption," the Disney-owned sports giant has made its 3D determination.

From Katina Arnold, ESPN PR, "ESPN 3D was great at home but due to low adoption of 3D to home, we are discontinuing to focus on other products for fans and affiliates."

One of the earliest boons of the recent 3D TV push was ESPN. ESPN 3D was launched with the last World Cup in June of 2010 but will not be around for a second 3D World Cup broadcast. In less than three years the network launched, moved to 24 hour 3D content, and was carried by major carriers such as Comcast, DirecTV, Verizon FIOS, and AT&T. Unfortunately for ESPN 3D, AT&T stopped carrying the channel back in 2011 citing high costs and low demands.

Of course, if demand for 3D content at home increased, say due to better than current 3D display methods, ESPN might hop right back on board. Before that happens though, it is likely that ESPN will pursue delivering Ultra HD broadcasts.

"ESPN 3D production (is) unmatched! As tech leader ESPN will continue to experiment with things like UHDTV.

The Verge
Attached Thumbnails
ESPN Announces Plans to Shut Down ESPN 3D by the End of Year-espn_3d.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Doesn't surprise me. I wanted it, but didn't sign up. My cable provider wanted $10 for a 3D teir (of which only ESPN was offered) then another $3 a month for an ESPN 3D subscription, for a total of $13 a month for the one channel. The lack of content offered on ESPN 3D lead me to pass.

Lower costs and better content would have made me a subscriber.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Default 3D adoption

I'm not surprised at this either. Although one would get the impression that 3D is popular and favorably received in HD enthusiast forums such as this one, it would seem to be a small blip in the conscience of the general population.

I saw a recent Gizmodo article with a 3D topic recently and out of the hundreds of comments, I could find only one that anything favorable at all to say about 3D and the vast majority of them were actively hostile toward the subject.

Many of the local movie theaters in my area have also stopped showing 3D versions of films within the last year.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM

I think a lot of it was a severe lack of content. Could you imagine how many subscribers they would get for a 3D Super Bowl or just mainstream sports in general? That's what I imagined ESPN 3D to be, and it simply wasn't.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Not surprised either. In addition, the House Of Mouse is looking to trim some fat after buying Lucas and Marvel. I read a few weeks ago that some 400 ESPN employees were going to be laid off as well. The 3D ESPN was a prime candidate to be cancelled considering these factors and the low demand for it,imo.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
HDD Reviewer/Blogger

My cable carrier only had three 3D channels (you didn't have to pay extra for them), and this was one of them. That said, I rarely watched the channel, because they rarely had any live events (and when they did it was usually a third-tier sporting event).
Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM

As stated above, the price for that one channel was way too high and the programing sucked. It was usually the same 5-10 shows, that I wasn't even really interested in, over and over again.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 PM

No surprise here. Satellite delivery is one of the few ways to get a 3D ESPN feed, and with DTV, it's only available in SBS format for 3D capable receivers (I have an older HR20 that I don't want to part with and it never was enabled for 3D). Many sports shots are not up-close and lack good 3D content anyway, and with the rumors about passing costs on to subscribers, many were lukewarm to the few channels offered in 3D at best (not to mention the fact that there was little if any program content).

I'm all for 3D but if I watch it, it's on BD media with the quality that brings. I don't think 3D is quite ready for "prime time" yet. Don't know if 4k will fare any better in the short-run.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM

I had ON-DEMAND ONLY from COMCAST for this.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Default Lack of interest?

The lack of interest came from uninteresting programming. College sports and X games are boring enough in 2D when repeated ad nauseam, the 3D was giving a turd another dimension.