Your Pick For The Best 3D Blu-Ray Release For 2012!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Default Your Pick For The Best 3D Blu-Ray Release For 2012!!

Live action: Have to give it to Prometheus. That one just floored me.

Animated: Madagascar 3 (although I still need to see Up...but I don't think it will change my pick). GREAT 3D VISUALS!!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 AM

So hard to choose. I'm not one for the subtle 3D, like in Tin Tin, Avengers, Smurfs, Transformers, Underworld, John Carter, or Amazing Spiderman, and despite Hugo having some of the best 3D clockwork effects, I found the movie rather boring.

It's a pretty early 2012 release, but I'd have to say A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas would probably be one of 2012's best. It was both funny and had a huge amount of gimmicky effects. It would be followed closely by Ghost Rider SOV, a converted movie that can go from very little or no depth to quite a bit of depth from scene to scene. The funky effects and pretty killer soundtrack made for a really wild ride, although I do see how it could be a turnoff for some.

I was really hoping that Resident Evil Retribution was going to be the last big killer 3D title of the year, and although it was (IMO) good, it wasn't great. I didn't think the soundtrack was up to par with Afterlife or the first one. Also, Jill going blonde just didn't do it for me. The fight scene between Alice and Jill almost made that up, but it almost doesn't cut it. I was hoping Claire would come back, along with K-mart, and I was hoping that K-Mart could really do some growing up in the series, but Milla (Alice) steals all of the screen time for herself. Ada Wong didn't even have a huge part in Retribution.

The greatest disappointment came from Dial M for Murder, however. The quality of that restoration was splat.

All in all, 2012 was a great year for 3D. We got a great restoration of Creature from the Black Lagoon, and I was pretty surprised at the quality of Bait 3D and Sector 7 as well. For 2013-2014, I hope more 3D indie movies are released. The technology has advanced so much that I believe one day, in-house indie productions will be able to beat out big-budget productions when it comes to special effects. Spielberg, Lucas, Howard, Reiner, Craven, Abrams, Scorsese, Carpenter, Burton, Scott, Coppola, Nolan, Raimi, Jackson, Cameron, Stone, and other big budget directors will be obsoleted by technology within twenty years, if not ten.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 AM

Live action: CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

Animation: MADAGASCAR 3

Runner-up: TITANIC
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
The technology has advanced so much that I believe one day, in-house indie productions will be able to beat out big-budget productions when it comes to special effects. Spielberg, Lucas, Howard, Reiner, Craven, Abrams, Scorsese, Carpenter, Burton, Scott, Coppola, Nolan, Raimi, Jackson, Cameron, Stone, and other big budget directors will be obsoleted by technology within twenty years, if not ten.
Don't mistake technology or budget for talent. A director's primary job is still to tell a story. If he can't do that, it doesn't matter how great the tools at his disposal may be.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Transformers and Spiderman are my picks.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Don't mistake technology or budget for talent. A director's primary job is still to tell a story. If he can't do that, it doesn't matter how great the tools at his disposal may be.
I agree that you have to have talent and a good story to tell, but being big budget doesn't always have those things or equal a successful movie. Waterworld, Peter Jackson's King Kong, the remakes of War of the Worlds, Day the Earth Stood Still, and Planet of the Apes are perfect examples of that, not to mention Phantom Menace, the movie that made diehard star wars fans hate Lucas, Jar Jar, and his youngest version of Anakin Skywalker. Meanwhile, we have low budget/indie films like the original Halloween, the original Nightmare on Elm Street, Let the Right One In, and Winter's Bone that all would arguably blow these big budget movies out of the water.

I think my argument is that for people who have writing and acting talent at their disposal, and no budget, special effects can be made just as good as anything big budget directors will be able to do.

Sorry for getting this thread off topic, Taygan. Hopefully it will get back on track now.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I think my argument is that for people who have writing and acting talent at their disposal, and no budget, special effects can be made just as good as anything big budget directors will be able to do.
I don't disagree with you. I will just point out that directors like Spielberg, Scorsese, etc. didn't start out being handed the keys to the kingdom with $100 million budgets on their first jobs. They had to start small, and prove their storytelling skills and ingenuity with limited resources, then work their way up. Even Lucas had THX 1138 and American Graffiti before Star Wars (the first of which was pretty low budget, actually).

Directors like these will never become obsolete, though their inflated budgets might.

Remember also, for every low budget miracle film like Primer, there are literally thousands of utterly atrocious, unwatchable indie movies that either get extremely limited distribution or none at all. Just working with a low budget doesn't automatically give a director "cred" any more than working with a big budget does.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Got to give an honorable mention to Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate. Watched this last night and WOW. The 3D was persistent. Depth and detail were amazing.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
The technology has advanced so much that I believe one day, in-house indie productions will be able to beat out big-budget productions when it comes to special effects. Spielberg, Lucas, Howard, Reiner, Craven, Abrams, Scorsese, Carpenter, Burton, Scott, Coppola, Nolan, Raimi, Jackson, Cameron, Stone, and other big budget directors will be obsoleted by technology within twenty years, if not ten.
Big budget directors and films will be obsoleted by consumer's resistance to increased prices and apathy towards modern films. Even with the "advancement" of 3D attendance to films in the US continues to fall, and the home video market continues to collapse because Netflix created an "all you can eat" $7.99 price point, which the studios failed to reign in soon enough. (There was a slight uptick this year, but it was an abarration...) These pricing pressures will continue to eat at the studios' bottom lines that will force them to make fewer big budget films, and squeeze the distribution chain limiting even more independent films. Even with Ultraviolet, the sell through business will ultimately collapse, because most people are not going to pay $15 dollar for a product they ultimately don't own or control. (There's a reason that the Ultraviolet group is boasting about 7,000,000 accounts, and not actual sales of Ultraviolet titles... These are coming from the free copies tossed into Blu-ray/DVD packages. Sort of like the manipulation of BD-Live numbers that the companies providing the services don't break out actual consumer activity vs testing facility use.)

fitprod
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Got to give an honorable mention to Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate. Watched this last night and WOW. The 3D was persistent. Depth and detail were amazing.
That's on my purchase list for payday.. Can't wait to see it.