Considering RF 3D Glasses - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Considering RF 3D Glasses

I've tried field sequential LCD glasses, at least three forms of anaglyph glasses, IR glasses, and recently bought two pairs of dlp link glasses, because I wanted something rechargeable. While the DLP link glasses have basically the same features as the IR glasses, they have a few flaws.

First, because DLP-Link technology uses flashes on the screen (white, blue, red, or whatever) it creates a highly over-contrasted image. In dark scenes, the blackes are severely washed out, while in lighter scenes, they are generally OK.

Second, I've noticed on several blu-ray 3D discs, the DLP-link glasses don't display in 3D at all, or have a really messed up 3D image in menu/title screens. When the movies are actually started, however, they do seem to kick in.

Third and fourth, DLP-link glasses have to be synced every time they're used, and you have to have line of sight within the screen. With IR, your glasses are automatically synced, but IR also is line of sight. Despite the line of sight issue, it seems like the dlp-link glasses seem to cut out more frequently than the IR glasses.

I bought the DLP link glasses, because I wanted something universal, to work on any future 3D projectors or television I may purchase.

IR has a few issue: line of sight (already mentioned) and viewing distance from the emitter.

RF glasses should take care of the line of sight issue and viewing distance as well. An RF emitter should also work in place of an IR emitter on most systems, right? It seems like the only issue is whether or not there is RF interference in the general area, to cause problems.

It's coming to a point where I don't think I could stand watching too much content with DLP-link technology and am really considering moving to RF. With the Mitsubishi DLP 3DTV I have, that super high brightness is there, even in 2D mode. So, I have to manually go into the menu settings to turn off dlp-link before the screen looks good again, after viewing a 3D movie. Unfortunately, I bought a VP3D1 3D converter for a future dlplink 3D projector purchase, and now, it looks like it isn't going to be used at all.

Glasses used:

Sainsonic DLP-Link
Mitsubishi 3DC-1000 3D Starter Kit
Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 PM

What I'm wondering is if you can just change out the IR emitter in the mitsubishi 3DTVs (before they came with built in rf emitters) - does anyone know?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM

Go passive, no charging involved, and with the future 4000p tvs, it will be awesome....
Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 AM

I have the Optoma HD 33 Front projector, I chose it specifically because it does have RF instead of IR (it also does DLP-link.) I love it, no issues with losing line of sight, so I can look over to talk to someone or go to the kitchen to grab something and not lose sync. I have not experienced any interference. I agree that passive is the way to go, however for projectors it is not an option unless you get special silver screens and 2 projectors last I read. So RF is the way to go hands down.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM

I'll have to say that the more I use DLP-Link glasses, the more I hate them. It's about enough to make me just buy batteries for the IR glasses. The reason I haven't went with rechargeable IR is because I know that any future projector I buy will most likely not have an IR option.

Why not move to passive? I have a pretty new 3DTV which isn't passive, and I plan to also get a projector, which also isn't passive. So, passive isn't even an option. Maybe one day, we'll have a an 8K red laser passive projection system for consumer use and in a consumer price range.