Ghosting-Whose Fault Is It Really? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 PM

Default Ghosting-Whose Fault Is It Really?

If you've read as many reviews of 3D movies as I have on this site and others, many times during a review the reviewer will comment on how much ghosting the film contains, and that it's usually an issue with your tv or glasses.

Other times they will only casually bring up ghosting and don't mention the reasons why it is there.

So my question is: doesn't ghosting/crosstalk have to be an issue from the source material, and not from the tv itself?

If Transformers, Pirates Of The Caribbean, Avatar, most IMAX films and some animated films I own show no ghosting whatsoever, and others do, how can this site and others claim its a tv/glasses issue?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm sure the source, as well as the display, play a factor. With that said, some sources tend to really show off how well or poorly the display can handle it.

DLP = Little to no ghosting

Plasma = Little ghosting

LED/LCD = More than the others
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I bought a 59" Samsung plasma a few months ago. As far as 3D goes it had much more 'pop' and virtually no ghosting compared to LED's. I had to return it unfortunately due to light flashing and other issues.

Picked up a Sharp 70" LED 2 weeks ago and the 2D picture is mindblowing, the best i've ever seen. When it comes to 3D, however, it seems like live action films have virtually no ghosting/crosstalk while animated films have a good chance of having mild to severe ghosting issues almost all the time. Many are just unwatchable in 3D.

No adjustment to the picture settings seem to help.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Here we go again.........

Ghosting is a display and/or glasses issue. If you dont believe it, take any ghost heavy scene or "disc" and play it on a DLP and watch as the ghosts are gone. It is that simple.

Here is one of quite a few threads that talks about the subject with some great info and examples. This particular thread is about projectors, but the same rules apply for flat panels.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1382091

Note in the pictures in the first post of that thread how much variation there is from the JVC to the other pojectors and how ONLY the DLP consistently shows no ghosting.

Bottom line.......ghosting is NOT a source issue. Ghosting is a display and/or glasses issue.

Last edited by ToddS; 02-15-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Former Member

Bottom line...ghosting IS a source issue. It can be amplified by display and glasses issue.

FIXED.

and agreed, not this shit again...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Bottom line...ghosting IS a source issue. It can be amplified by display and glasses issue.

FIXED.

and agreed, not this shit again...

You are wrong and if you had any experience with DLP you would realize that but since you refuse to do this, you cant understand. Sad

Nate, just read and check out the thread I linked if you refuse to go see a DLP for yourself. Ghosting is not a source issue and you continue to misinform by saying it is.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Oh god here it goes again..

By the way I saw Ultimate G's at a friends house a few weeks ago on a DLP and i did detect ghosting. The ghosting was not as severe as my Samsung PN50C7000, my Samsung PN51D6500 or Nate's review of it but it did exist.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleontongue View Post
Oh god here it goes again..

By the way I saw Ultimate G's at a friends house a few weeks ago on a DLP and i did detect ghosting. The ghosting was not as severe as my Samsung PN50C7000, my Samsung 51D6500 or Nate's review of it but it did exist.

Your friend has a sync issue with his glasses/tv then which is the only way you will see ghosting with DLP. He can fix this.

Get a timestamp for the ghosting and I will be happy to check it out on the Acer 5360, or better yet ask Zombie to pull up this scene in the thread I linked above and he will post through the glasses pictures from a DLP, and a few other non DLP displays for comparison purposes.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:00 PM

Didn't mean to bother anyone I hadn't seen any posts regarding this thats why I made the thread.

Just wanted to hear other peoples take on this.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM

Just check out my first post in this thread with the comparison shootout I linked above Johnny as the Despicable Me, Grand Canyon (the tree scene is a killer for most displays) and Sammy's Adventure comparison shots are very representative of what ghosting looks like on these various displays. These comparison shots are worth a 1000 words as they speak for themselves as far as ghosting goes.........if ghosting was a "source" issue, why does it differ so much from one display to another and why does ONLY the DLP show no ghosting time and time again?

I can confirm both the JVC and Acer 5360 shots since I have spent time with both. I owned a JVC RS40 for 11 months which had ghosting issues (which actually got worse as the bulb aged which JoshZ on this forum will also attest to since he experienced the same thing) and now own a 45 which is similar as far as ghosting. I have a friend with the Acer 5360 DLP (we are using Nvidia glasses) that I have seen countless times now. For a while, every time I would find a ghost heavy scene/disc on my 40, I would try it out on the Acer and not ONCE have we ever seen ghosting on the Acer. Not for blu ray 3d, not for gaming which is a torture test for my JVCs', not for 2d to 3d conversion........NOTHING! If you go read the Acer owner thread (or any DLP for that matter) you will notice this same theme...........DLP does not ghost! (again, assuming you dont get a sync problem with the glasses which can be solved) The BenQ7000 in the link I posted above is the same way and so will any DLP assuming the glasses are syncing properly with the display.

This thread also has some decent info........

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=jvc+ghosting

As the link above explains in detail, DLP is the ONLY tech right now FAST enough to display ghost free images. Ghosting is NOT a disc/source issue and anyone saying that it is simply does not know what they are talking about.

Last edited by ToddS; 02-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.