Finally saw 3d at BB - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Default Finally saw 3d at BB

It was on an LG with a demo disc playing. Does anyone know if this demo is indicative of 3d on most TVs or movies? I actually have never even gone to a 3D movie (as I have been content with Blu @ Home). Figured I would give it a chance and I wasn't impressed at all. It didn't seem lifelike and looked very gimmicky.

The basketball game they were showing seemed like it had cardboard cutout players moving on a non-3D court. The underwater cartoon they were showing had some minor depth, but nothing exceptional. The 3D where I expect things to come out and be in the room with me never happened.

So my question is does that type of 3D exist? I ask solely because this was my first and only experience with this.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkr2 View Post
It was on an LG with a demo disc playing. Does anyone know if this demo is indicative of 3d on most TVs or movies? I actually have never even gone to a 3D movie (as I have been content with Blu @ Home). Figured I would give it a chance and I wasn't impressed at all. It didn't seem lifelike and looked very gimmicky.

The basketball game they were showing seemed like it had cardboard cutout players moving on a non-3D court. The underwater cartoon they were showing had some minor depth, but nothing exceptional. The 3D where I expect things to come out and be in the room with me never happened.

So my question is does that type of 3D exist? I ask solely because this was my first and only experience with this.
The type of 3D where objects pop off the screen and come into you living room does exist but it is not used as much anymore. I have seen it in a few of the films I have screened such as in Monsters vs. Aliens. There is a scene at the start of the movie where a man is bouncing a rubber ball at the camera and that appeared to almost hit you in the face while you watch. I have also seen some pretty cool examples of "in your face 3D" in an on demand movie from comcast. It was a nature documentary and the scene I remember most is a digital snake stretching from a branch right into you living room. Actually felt like the snake was inches from my face! Overall the strength of the new format is depth of image and texture or objects in 3D. What you saw probably wasn't the best example. I have watched a few ESPN 3D events with mixed feelings, still has some kinks to be ironed out. I would recommend checking out Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or the newly released Monster House. Both are excellent examples of the new 3D format.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:54 AM

You really can't trust the in store demos as to the quality of 3D. The bright store lighting, the TV configuration, etc.. are all variables that can diminish, and in some cases, totally destroy the 3D effect.

For someone that's never seen a 3D movie, I'd actually recommend catching a RealD or IMax 3D presentation and use that to gauge how well you like 3D. If you enjoy it in the theater, you should be able to recreate a similar experience at home. I can't speak for all the TV configurations, but with my DLP and Panasonic 3D player I basically get a home 3D experience identical to theatrical.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM

I agree, I was more impressed when I watched it at home than when I purchased it in the store. We went to many, many places before we got a decent demo. The guy actually took a 3D Blu-ray player out of the box and plugged it in to a 3D TV that was more or less out of the showroom spotlight. That was what pushed us over the edge and purchase it, otherwise it was not very impressive.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnerd View Post
You really can't trust the in store demos as to the quality of 3D. The bright store lighting, the TV configuration, etc.. are all variables that can diminish, and in some cases, totally destroy the 3D effect.

For someone that's never seen a 3D movie, I'd actually recommend catching a RealD or IMax 3D presentation and use that to gauge how well you like 3D. If you enjoy it in the theater, you should be able to recreate a similar experience at home. I can't speak for all the TV configurations, but with my DLP and Panasonic 3D player I basically get a home 3D experience identical to theatrical.
I have the Samsung DLP (legacy 3D). Supposedly it will do 3D with the panasonic 3d with checkerboard output. Not sure completely, but was thinking about trying that out.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I have the Samsung DLP (legacy 3D). Supposedly it will do 3D with the panasonic 3d with checkerboard output. Not sure completely, but was thinking about trying that out.
Exactly the rig I'm running, along with a cheep IO Systems glasses kit. Results are awesome.
I believe the newer more affordable panasonic player still has checkerboard output and you could pick up the well reviewed Optoma DLP Link glasses and have quality 3D for a very reasonable price.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Pop-out does exist, but you have to be brief when you do it as a content creator because a) it's getting in the way of the story and b) it causes eyestrain.

You're not going to get popout unless it's been scripted- the shot and action has to be setup in a way where something points at the camera. This is not going to happen in sports.

The cardboard cutout effect is from lens compression. When a stereographer use zoom and gets far away from his subjects, the dynamicness of the depth will be very limited- depth is perceived between foreground and background, but no "self-depth" within the foreground itself.

The solution is to get closer to the action, and use less zoom.

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ys+parade&aq=f