Conversion Hits Big Time: First Major Library Being Converted To 3D For $200M! - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Arrow Conversion Hits Big Time: First Major Library Being Converted To 3D For $200M!

Conversion Hits Big Time: First Major Library Being Converted To 3D For $200M!

Quote:
San Diego-based multi-media 3D production studio PassmoreLab announced today that it has signed an agreement with legendary production company Grizzly Adams® Productions has to convert 500 of its feature films, television series, and documentaries to 3D.

According to Charles E. Sellier, CEO of Grizzly Adams Productions, when completed, the estimated seven-year, $200 million project “will create the largest 3D library in the entertainment industry.”

In addition to converting its existing 2D library to 3D, PassmoreLab will convert Grizzly Adams’ new productions to be completed — 18 new feature films and 78 television series episodes — over the seven-year term of the agreement.
http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2010/0...rst-major.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2010, 12:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 435
Default

You didn't read this article past the first paragraph, did you?

Last edited by Jables; 05-21-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 AM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
You didn't read this article past the first paragraph, did you?
I read the entire article - and so should you - the link is right there.

Why - what questions do you have about it?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Actionable Mango's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,233
Default

Wow, they are spending $200 million on a TV series I've never even heard of. Good luck to them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
I read the entire article - and so should you - the link is right there.
I did. Until I found it on another site as well, I thought it was a joke. It reads like something straight off The Onion, hyperbolic statements and all.

Quote:
Why - what questions do you have about it?
Here's my question: you can't seriously be excited about Grizzly Adams in 3D?

The only thing this is likely to do is bankrupt the company.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
I did. Until I found it on another site as well, I thought it was a joke. It reads like something straight off The Onion, hyperbolic statements and all.



Here's my question: you can't seriously be excited about Grizzly Adams in 3D?

The only thing this is likely to do is bankrupt the company.
Oh - so the people committed to spending $200 million know less then you do?

There is going to be a massive requirement for 3D content. So little of it exists today. They will help fill that need.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2010, 06:47 PM
septim's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 786
Default

"Among the new 3D feature film projects slated for production over the term of the alliance are two Grizzly Adams family-oriented feature films currently in pre-production: The Super Heroic Life of Edward Hinkleberry; and the newest franchise installment to the Grizzly Adams legend, Grizzly Adams Begins."

Well after Grizzly Adams Begins takes the world by storm, $200 million will look like a drop in the bucket.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Oh - so the people committed to spending $200 million know less then you do?

There is going to be a massive requirement for 3D content. So little of it exists today. They will help fill that need.
You don't exactly need to be an expert to tell when something is a bad idea all the time. I didn't have to be a basketball GM to know that it was less than advisable for the Washington Wizards to give $120M to Gilbert Arenas. How has that worked out?

Everyone who owns a business thinks their product is great and no one can live without it. Despite this, most businesses fail. So no, the one in charge of the product isn't always the best judge...

And as for "it's 3D so people will buy it," no. If it's good, they will. But if I made a video of myself taking a dump in 3D, people wouldn't be rushing to buy it because it's 3D. Putting obscure titles that no one wants in 3D isn't going to make them want them all of a sudden.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 AM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Formerly "HDTV Addict"
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
You don't exactly need to be an expert to tell when something is a bad idea all the time. I didn't have to be a basketball GM to know that it was less than advisable for the Washington Wizards to give $120M to Gilbert Arenas. How has that worked out?
Oh look - an apples to bricks comparison.

Quote:
Everyone who owns a business thinks their product is great and no one can live without it. Despite this, most businesses fail. So no, the one in charge of the product isn't always the best judge...
But you are? Please - let's see your resume if you are claiming to be an expert in this area.

Quote:
And as for "it's 3D so people will buy it," no. If it's good, they will. But if I made a video of myself taking a dump in 3D, people wouldn't be rushing to buy it because it's 3D.
That is the comparison you want to use to back up your argument? You gave this some thought and this is what you came up with?

Quote:
Putting obscure titles that no one wants in 3D isn't going to make them want them all of a sudden.
I guess you didn't have an HDTV in 1999 or 2000 did you?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM
cakefoo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Wow, they are spending $200 million on a TV series I've never even heard of. Good luck to them.
It's not just the Grizzly Adams tv series; they're converting films and documentaries that their studio produced. I'm guessing this stuff will be shown on cable/satellite; and as Lee said, it'll probably be reminiscent of early HD programming, and will probably, in some small way, help to convince people to upgrade to the 3D channels.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Top Gun' being converted to 3D for a theatrical re release in early 2012!! taygan315 3D Gear & Movies 11 09-23-2011 02:47 AM
'Inception' being considered for 3D conversion taygan315 3D Gear & Movies 11 09-30-2010 11:51 PM
Blu-ray Sells over $200m in Jan-Feb 2010, Restores Growth for Packaged Media Kosty High Definition Smackdown 198 03-13-2010 04:44 PM
So, what are the major deals to track at major chains? xen Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 11-08-2007 10:15 PM
Converted to Neutral tetsuo Why I Went HD DVD 9 10-07-2007 02:58 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off