Attebery is offline Member

Default Mitsubishi Announces 2010 3D DLPs

Mitsubishi Announces 2010 3D DLPs:

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/cea/i...6-615B457B92F0

I'm glad Mitsubishi continues w/ the DLP's. I have owned a couple and moved to a pj, but these are the best bang for your buck tv's out there.
    Epson 6500ub 100" Fixed Screen
    Pioneer Elite 91txh receiver
    Pioneer Bdp51fd + sony bdp-1000es
    Toshiba A-30 + A-2
    Klipsch 5.1 RC-X4 center, RF-52 fronts, RSX-4 rears and RPW-10 sub

CanadaPhil is offline Member

Agreed.

I am disappointed the Mitsubishi HD DLP TV line has never been brought north of the border as I still believe their is a market for this type of product.

With Samsung's exit from this category, I wonder how long Mitsu will still continue to bring out new models?
    Titles:.... 320 FINAL count after downsizing ......: 100 and counting slowly.
    Newest: Sold off 40 or so.................................. ALIEN Anthology
    Players: Toshiba XA2 (x2), A2, XBox Add On, ....: Sony PS3, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD/BD Combo(x2)

SD Titles:....231 still buying exclusives......Newest: Babylon 5 Movies Collection + Seasons 1 - 5

Biggiesized is offline Member

I'm still upset that Samsung dumped it.

They're FPJs with Joe Kane's input show they clearly have a grasp on the technology.

winklepr is offline Member

Anyone know whatever happened with their laser technology? Was it not 3D-compatible, too expensive, something else? I remember a bunch of rave reviews - even from plasma folk - and then... silence.
    HD Movie's: 400ish

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote Originally Posted by winklepr View Post
    Anyone know whatever happened with their laser technology? Was it not 3D-compatible, too expensive, something else? I remember a bunch of rave reviews - even from plasma folk - and then... silence.
    Still available and yes it is 3D ready:

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/laser.html

They didn't change it - it's their only DLP RPTV hold over from 2009.

It's very expensive. MSRP is $7000 for a 65" display.

mojo16 is offline Member

I'm glad to see Mitsubishi continuing its production of DLPs. I, too, hate the fact Samsung decided to exit this technology, which has nearly brought it to extinction. I still have my 2006 50" Samsung 1080p model in my theater room, and I still love it. I haven't even had to replace the bulb yet. It's still not the brightest set, has a very limited viewing angle, and doesn't boast better colors than new LED's or Plasmas, but it has one of the sharpest and most accurate pictures I've seen. Due to the nature of the technology, you also don't need all this tru-motion 120 or 240Hz nonsense. DLP has an inherently faster response time, so 60Hz is usually sufficient. If money wasn't an object, I'd definitely be looking to one of these large Mitsu sets to upgrade my theater room (I'll stick to an LCD or Plasma for the living room).

Question: DLP's were strongly marketed for awhile as "3D-ready," well before the current 3D craze. Does anyone know how that claim/technology differs from what's currently being marketed? Also, do these new 3D DLPs use the previous technology (remarketing), or are they using the same technology as in the new LCD's? Thanks!
    Equipment:
    50" Samsung DLP 1080p HDTV
    Onkyo TX-SR605 HDMI 1.3a 7.1 receiver
    Sony Playstation 3 (60GB) via HDMI
    Toshiba HD-A35 via HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by mojo16 View Post
    Question: DLP's were strongly marketed for awhile as "3D-ready," well before the current 3D craze. Does anyone know how that claim/technology differs from what's currently being marketed? Also, do these new 3D DLPs use the previous technology (remarketing), or are they using the same technology as in the new LCD's? Thanks!
    The 3D content came from PC's using the Nvidia 3D system. For 3D gaming. required active shutter glasses.

DLP 3D ready RPTVs have always required the Checkerboard 3D format to display 3D content. The new LCD and PDP 3DTVs use the frame sequential 3D format. Checkerboard 3D produces half HD per eye while Frame Sequential 3D produces Full HD per eye.

Here is a PDF on Checkerboard 3D for DLP RPTVs:

http://dlp.com/downloads/DLP%203D%20...Technology.pdf

Frame Sequential 3D

The up and coming Mits 3DC-1000 3D adapter will convert frame sequential 3D to checkerboard 3D. Also the 3d formats used for 3D CBL and 3D SAT = Side-by-Side and Over/Under (aka Top/Bottom)

Here is what SbS looks like:

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    DLP 3D ready RPTVs have always required the Checkerboard 3D format to display 3D content. The new LCD and PDP 3DTVs use the frame sequential 3D format. Checkerboard 3D produces half HD per eye while Frame Sequential 3D produces Full HD per eye.
    DLP 3-D ready TVs required the Checkerboard format in the past. Checkerboard was developed because 60 Hz was the default frame rate for all HDTVs at the time. There's nothing preventing a modern DLP set from running 120 Hz frame sequential 3-D. Which is what I assume Mitsubishi's new sets will do. I haven't read anything claiming that the new DLPs still use Checkerboard.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    DLP 3-D ready TVs required the Checkerboard format in the past. Checkerboard was developed because 60 Hz was the default frame rate for all HDTVs at the time. There's nothing preventing a modern DLP set from running 120 Hz frame sequential 3-D. Which is what I assume Mitsubishi's new sets will do. I haven't read anything claiming that the new DLPs still use Checkerboard.
    From the OP:

In order to display 3D images, Mitsubishi 3D Ready DLP Home Cinema TVs require the use of a 3D source device coupled with the Mitsubishi 3D adapter or other source devices that support checkerboard display formats for display of 3D games, 3D broadcasts from terrestrial/cable/satellite and 3D Blu-Ray disc content. In all cases an emitter and matching 3D active shutter glasses or DLP Link active shutter glasses are required in order to view 3D content.

The Mitsubishi 3D Adapter may be used to display 3D content only when connected to a Mitsubishi 3D Ready TV or a Mitsubishi 3D TV. A 3D source device coupled with the Mitsubishi 3D adapter is required to support display of 3D games, 3D broadcasts from terrestrial/cable/satellite and 3D Blu-Ray disc content.

CanadaPhil is offline Member

For a real world test account, visit the following topic over at AVS and pay particular attention to post # 10

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18455532
    Titles:.... 320 FINAL count after downsizing ......: 100 and counting slowly.
    Newest: Sold off 40 or so.................................. ALIEN Anthology
    Players: Toshiba XA2 (x2), A2, XBox Add On, ....: Sony PS3, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD/BD Combo(x2)

SD Titles:....231 still buying exclusives......Newest: Babylon 5 Movies Collection + Seasons 1 - 5

YES!

a 55 inch 3-D LED is already like 3 grand, so it's nice to find some cheaper 3-D tv's, plus I love DLP's.

22 : Most recent purchases - Dogma, The International, The Social Network, The Town

Samsung BD-UP5000
    LG BD530

Ruined is offline Member

I have the Mitsu WD-73C9 which appears very similar to the 2010 models, and it is by far the best TV I ever owned - blows away my previous 60" Sony SXRD.

I highly recommend these sets, and it has been confirmed they are compatible with Panasonic Blu-ray players 3-D mode over AVS as someone above posted.