What 3D movie did you just watch? - Page 69 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 AM

Malakai: I watched both of the flicks you mentioned in your last two posts. I feel the same way you did about both of them as well...especially buying 3D animation with not much to offer,lol

The GNR disc has GREAT 3D....but like you..I miss the GNR of yesteryear (especially Slash and the original GNR drummer). The drummer on the disc just did nothing for me
Old 07-31-2014, 01:48 PM

How To Train Your Dragon - fun movie, nowhere near the hype it got. Good 3D excellent depth, was expecting more pop out effects

Pacific Rim - perfect 3D depth, a little more pop out 3D effect would have put this movie on Madagascar level
Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 AM

300 Rise Of An Empire
The Hobbit Desolation Of Smaug
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM

Captain America: Winter Soldier - Just got the disc in from the UK this morning. Long film, for sure. Well, does it live up to all of the hype it's gotten? I don't think any film could live up to the level of hype this one has gotten. I think Winter Soldier is a good film, an entertaining film, but some of the dialogue and acting in it keeps it from being a five-star film. You can bayformers any film you want, but that doesn't make it perfect either. The plot isn't terrible. It's just a much darker film than the first, a lot darker than The Avengers too, and it has much much more cgi than the original. There doesn't seem to be much comic relief or much lightheartedness to it either. With that said, I think people like it when films are darker.

For the most part, I could have done without the 3D. I own over 200 3D blu-rays, and at this point, I like to see 3D add something to a film. At minimum, it needs to be a crucial part of the atmosphere of the film. It needs to envelope the viewer, and it's also OK to do pop-out/gimmick shots, to spice things up every once in awhile. Some of the fast-action/fighting scenes (and one in particular, near the beginning) that are in this film make me wonder if every scene was shot in 2D, with 3D in mind. The director surely should have known it was going to be. With that said, there's nothing particularly wrong with the conversion. There is depth in most of the scenes. Nothing really stands out or envelopes you, however.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 PM

Just got done watching Inferno. I would actually call this Dial M in the Desert had it not been released a year prior to Dial M for Murder, just to give people here an idea of what the film is about. This is the first film I've watched on my temporary (meaning it's mostly done, but there still are some things I need to get for it, including a new case) HTPC build. I watched Inferno through Totalmedia Theatre, and it has lots of depth. I would compare the depth to this to Amytiville 3D and Taza: Son of Cochise. I would call it hardcore, dirty, almost to the point of being unprofessional depth, because it is so strong at times, that there is too much left/right image separation in the background often, and occasionally in the foreground, albeit not as bad foreground image separation as Amityville.

Is there any popout? They mostly leave out popout until one of the more climactic scenes near the end. There seems to be, at times, differences between the left and right elements, in terms of contrast. It's hardly noticeable, until you take turns shutting each eye, while keeping the other eye open.

Is the movie good? It's mostly cheesy but not as cheesy as Taza: Son of Cochise. That's not to say it's terrible. Near the end, it does get a bit more exciting.
Spoiler
Is he going to take his revenge out on her and her boyfriend? Are they going to flee to Mexico, after realizing he's not dead? Is she going to die in the desert, after her boyfriend leaves?
Overall, it's a film made in a different time, when excessive violence, gore, cursing, and sex were often censored or considered taboo.

Spoiler
There is one extremely fake popout shot, where the guy throws a lantern at the man that stole his wife. You could easily tell it was on a line or string or something, because of the unnatural way it moved through the air. Did they put it on a line, to prevent him from actually hitting and damaging the camera? Who knows?

Last edited by malakai; 08-29-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 AM

Shark Night - This film got a lot of flack when it was released, and when you compare this to Piranha, there are two main differences. Shark Night was shot in 3D, with variable depth from scene to scene, but it still had great depth and several good popout shots, with one slow-motion shot that was pretty awesome. The other difference is that Shark Night doesn't have any nudity. I mean, there is a scene where one of the girls gets on a toilet and another scene where two girls take their tops off and put their bikini top on, but they're covered or have their backs to the camera. So basically, you have one that's rated R and was well-received and one that was rated PG-13, had better depth and effects, about the same acting, etc and flopped.

I've had this film for at least a year, if not two or three. I bought it from grooves-inc most likely, the German import. As far as I can tell, it didn't ever hit the US in Blu-ray 3D form, even if it hit US theaters in 3D. So, why did it take me so long to watch it? I've pondered getting a all-region blu-ray 3D player for awhile, but I decided just to build an HTPC capable of doing HD-DVD, DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, light/medium-duty gaming, etc. Instead of trying to find a Chinese version or downloading Shark Night, I just waited it out.

Shark Night wasn't on the agenda tonight. The plan was to see how good Inalienable was in 3D, another region-locked German import. The 3D was non-existent. So, out went Inalienable and in went Shark Night.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Watched Hara-Kiri, about half last night and half tonight. Also watched Cargo, a German 3D conversion.

Hara-Kiri is sort of a Japanese samurai drama, and I believe it was shot in 3D, but they really missed a great opportunity with the 3D. There are so many awesome old-style Japanese villas and layering and all that would have looked better, had they pushed the depth a bit, but in the end, this is just another Amazing Spider-man, as far as depth is concerned.

Cargo surprised me. It's the first German 3D conversion that they seem to actually put some time in. For such an older 3D film, it really seems to blow the other conversions out of the water, but that could be because this is a German film, not a Hollywood conversion. With that being said, the depth is not great, and many shots have very little, if any depth in it, but when there is depth, you can really see how they were starting to learn how 3D works. In an auto conversion, you really have bits and pieces that appear to have depth, and bits and pieces that do not, but in an auto conversion, the computer or script doesn't always guess correctly how the 3D actually lays out, and what ends up happening is that some stuff ends up more into the background than it naturally would have, and the same for the foreground. This doesn't seem to be an auto conversion.

As said, this was a good effort, and it shows that some of the Germans (or whoever worked on Cargo) was starting to learn how 3D and/or 3D conversions worked. It's probably not worth going out and buying for the 3D. Anyone that's gotten into the 3D game within the last year will probably be disappointed. If you were in it from the start, however, who knows? Daybreakers, Inalienable, Bear, Blue Moon, and a myriad of other German conversions just didn't even do an OK job.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 PM

Godzilla, excellent 3D the "Window into another world" as they put it. My only gripe with 3D movies is that they should all be 1.78:1 aspect ratio.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
My only gripe with 3D movies is that they should all be 1.78:1 aspect ratio.
Really ?!?! Am I to guess that before your widescreen tv, you preferred all movies to be in 4:3 format, even knowing how much picture detail you were missing?
Old 09-18-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Really ?!?! Am I to guess that before your widescreen tv, you preferred all movies to be in 4:3 format, even knowing how much picture detail you were missing?

Why not? Didn't Avatar and Pacific Rim looked incredible? You know what's funny I always set my movies to letterbox in the DVD era. But seeing Avengers, Avatar, Predator, Madagascar 3, Pacific Rim full screen in 3D spoiled me I guess