Panasonic’s 3Ds Launch Wednesday – At Half the Japanese Price - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM

U guys think 2500 is that bad of a starting price 240 hz, 1080p led LCD doesn't sound too bad. I saw on amazon the Samsung 55" 7000 was $2490, not that bad really. 55" is around 2000 with no 3d
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Most likely not. Different manufacturers will use different methods for achieving 3-D. The glasses will probably not be compatible between brands.
This is something that I had not anticipated. Have to say..that is a strike against 3D for the home for me.

Anyone know what Sony's packages are going to go for at retail? I read somewhere that Sony was going to make 3D sets ranging from 22'' to 60''. Wonder how much a 32''-40'' 3D set may go for?

The price for Panasonic's 3D set is not bad,imo. Less than what I thought it was going to be. Been working OT at work since the beginning of the year to save up. Still unsure if I am COMPLETLY sold on 3D yet. Wont make my purchase til November-December.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Think of it as paying for an excellent 2D set that happens to do 3D instead I'm led to believe the screens a bit more responsive in the 3D series. Over in the EU though these will ship with TWO 3D glasses. Not sure why the US would be stiffed with a single pair.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
This is something that I had not anticipated. Have to say..that is a strike against 3D for the home for me.

Anyone know what Sony's packages are going to go for at retail? I read somewhere that Sony was going to make 3D sets ranging from 22'' to 60''. Wonder how much a 32''-40'' 3D set may go for?

The price for Panasonic's 3D set is not bad,imo. Less than what I thought it was going to be. Been working OT at work since the beginning of the year to save up. Still unsure if I am COMPLETLY sold on 3D yet. Wont make my purchase til November-December.
Sony to ship 3D TVs in June 10th, unveils glasses, too

Quote:
Sony announced that it will begin selling 3D TVs in June. They will also provide the PS3 3D upgrade with the new TVs. Sony's first 3D TVs will be the Bravia XBR-LX900 in 40" ($3,200) and 46" ($3900). The TVs will come with two pais of 3D glasses. In July Sony plans to release six new sets: 52" and 60" models of the same series, and four "3D-Ready" models that will not have glasses or infrared transmitters bundled.
http://www.3d-display-info.com/sony-...ls-glasses-too
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

This issue of the glasses . . .

Give it some time. There will be 3rd party active shutter glasses makers entering the market. Companies like Bit Cauldron and XpanD.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernTenshi04 View Post
Should that be true, then I'm calling it now: 3D in home theater setups will die. If I can't take glasses from my set over to a friend's house and watch something there with them, then what's the point?
Keep in mind that active shutter glasses actually need to sync with the TV. They are not passive devices. So I definitely would not expect Panasonic glasses to sync with a Samsung TV, for example. No more than I would expect to bring a Panasonic remote to a friend's house and use it on his Samsung TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Give it some time. There will be 3rd party active shutter glasses makers entering the market. Companies like Bit Cauldron and XpanD.
This is a possibility. Much as we have universal remotes, some third-party companies may make universal 3-D glasses.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
I sat in a 10 min Panny demo at the Dallas Auto Show this weekend. They mentioned all this but also that only one pair of 3D glasses will be included with the TV. Does that make any sense?
Makes perfect sense to me! I'm single with 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket. I've been waiting to upgrade my current Panny and this just may be the ticket. I see a trip to Best Buy for a demo in my near future. Only question is do I buy now, or wait until the holiday season for a better deal and give it some time to let the potential bugs be worked out.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1967 View Post
Makes perfect sense to me! I'm single with 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket. I've been waiting to upgrade my current Panny and this just may be the ticket. I see a trip to Best Buy for a demo in my near future. Only question is do I buy now, or wait until the holiday season for a better deal and give it some time to let the potential bugs be worked out.
Might be best to let others beta-test the hardware...then treat yourself to a nice 2nd gen or whatever this holiday season, along with the major (and nicely reviewed) releases =)

To be clear, I don't think $2.5k is uncomfortably expensive for a *new* HDTV, especially when you consider the potential performance increases (it doubles something or other, from what I understand, which might help with current non-3D Blu-ray releases).

I just don't expect people who've purchased an HDTV in the past few years to suddenly decide an upgrade is completely necessary.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM

There are no new generation 3D Blu Ray movies released & about maybe 20 old gen 3D blu rays have been released. If you were to go with these new 3D TV's, BD players you would'nt be able to use the new 3D if at all.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by img eL View Post
There are no new generation 3D Blu Ray movies released & about maybe 20 old gen 3D blu rays have been released. If you were to go with these new 3D TV's, BD players you would'nt be able to use the new 3D if at all.
If you buy a Samsung 3DTV and 3D BD player together - you will get the new 3D BD Monsters vs. Aliens. Then you buy the 3D starter kit (2 pair of 3D glasses) and you can watch that movie in true stereoscopic 3D. More titles will be released this year.

In June, ESPN 3D starts with the World Cup (live in 3D)