BUYERS GUIDE: 3DTVs and 3D Active Shutter Glasses - Page 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-26-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyb37 View Post
1. will any screen work? I assume so, but just curious. Amazon has the Homegear 120" for a good price and decent reviews.

2. I saw some forums that the PS4 can be used for the 3D BluRay experience...any thoughts? Standalone players are pretty cheap, but no need to even spend 80 bucks if the PS4 is good.

3. It seems like active glasses are the way to go. However, I have prescription glasses. I googled using active glasses with prescription glasses and just saw complaint after complaint...however, these are all several years old (the forums/articles), so I'm hoping someone has made something for the glasses-wearer. Any advice on good active glasses for folks that wear prescription ones?.
1: Yes, although there are some issues with pull-down (even non-tensioned motorized) screens, and since you mention costs being a factor in buying your projector, tensioned pull-down screens may not be in your budget. So, I would suggest a fixed screen, if at all possible. Since you're also doing it in a basement, you should have good light control and probably won't have to worry about how much gain the screen has.

2: PS3 or PS4 can be used for 3D blu-rays. The only issue with PS3 is that you can't play TrueHD and 3D at the same time. So, if you have a 3D blu-ray in ATMOS which uses TrueHD and not DD+, then the PS3 will convert it to dolby digital or something along those lines. Not many ATMOS tracks use DD+. The only one I have is a German import of San Andreas 3D. A PS4 should play TrueHD and 3D at the same time.

3: Do a search for clip-on 3D glasses. Ebay should have some available. Otherwise, it's contact lenses or just dealing with trying to put regular 3D glasses over your own glasses.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:24 PM

wow! That was a fast response! Thanks malakai. I'll research a bit more in screens. the Homegear 120" was only $150 on Amazon, but maybe I'll look at some Elite Screen versions (I had originally thought of the Elite Screen 120" manual pull-down, but the Homegear was motorized for the same price...and just something cool about the motorized version ). Can't do fixed since I'm placing it in front of some built in shelves, but great advice...may have to just loosen the purse strings and go a bit more. The projector is only $550 on Amazon, so I have some wiggle room.

As far as the glasses, I don't think they make the clip-on ones for active glasses...just passive. Seems (based on everyone's opinions here) that active is the way to go, so I think I'll just grab some of those and deal with it...need an excuse to get some contacts anyway

Thanks again! I'll post when I get it set up to let you guys know how it works...sure I'll have questions anyway.