MikeA57 is offline Member

Default Extending wireless outdoors

I need to extend the WiFi signal from my house to my Mother-in-law's house which is about 50' away from the location I plan to place an omni antenna. I also plan on building a shop on my property at some point in the future which will be about 150 - 200 feet away from the antenna location. Both locations are line of sight. You can see the layout of our property and also the areas I need to have covered on the attached photos.

The cable modem/router/WiFi box I'm using is in an upstairs expandable area and is in an ARRIS TG-862G/CT 802.11N unit and it has no connections other than Ethernet (and WiFi of course)

I've been looking out on the TP-Link site at their products and but I'm not sure what components (other than an antenna) I really need. My thought is to attach a network cable from a router port and run it through the attic (about 70' I suspect) to the southeast corner of the house (orange circle), where I plan to mount the antenna so it is very close to the MIL house and also directly in line with the area the shop will be built. (See 2nd picture) I presume there's some other device that is needed to connect from the Ethernet cable to the antenna since they seem to use a screw in connector.

My questions are:
    - Does this look like the best place to mount the antenna?
    - Which antenna would be recommended for this application?
    - What other components do I need in addition to the antenna itself?
    - What other companies besides TP-Link offer products of this type?
    - Where to find mounting masts that I could attach to the side of the house and extend beyond the soffit to get the antenna out away from the house?
    - Do I need to place another antenna on the MIL house or on the shop when it is built?

Thanks for all your help. I'm completely unfamiliar with extending WiFi from one area to another.

MikeName:  WIFI Antenna layout.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  44.6 KBName:  WIFI Antenna areas to cover.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  62.4 KB

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

It certainly sounds like the location you have chosen for the antenna is the most effective spot should the need be there.
    Have you done a site study of the location in which you wish to receive signal? A 'study' can be as simple as carrying a cell phone that is connected to the wifi to each desired location and see what the connectivity is like.
    Without delving too deeply into your existing hardware, does your current router have signal level settings? My telco supplied Westell modem covers my entire property quite well and it has zero external antennas. The power settings are set in the middle, with room to expand. If I wanted high performance gaming or a connection capable of using my connection at its fullest potential I would consider options similar to what you're proposing here. Obviously the device on the other end has to deal with transmitting to the home beacon.
    As far as what product you need to use at the orange circle... I have seen range extenders with Ethernet inputs. Another possibility is another router, but make sure it's on a different channel and make its IP addresses different so you can tell the two apart. Primary router is probably assigning 192.168.x.x addresses, make the secondary (if used) assign 10.x.x.x addresses. Honestly, another router in that location alone might be all you need, no antenna necessary. If you opt for another router and are just set on using another antenna, there are routers with detachable antennas. You could then drill a small hole, get the appropriate coaxial extender and place the antenna itself outside.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

MikeA57 is offline Member

Thanks Krawk! I guess a better explanation specifying what my needs are would have been helpful. As mentioned above, my Mother-in-law lives in that small house but she's an invalid with 24/7 care. Her caretakers and her son (who lives out of town and visits frequently) would like access to our WiFi, but there just isn't enough signal to allow them to connect reliably. Also, last year we got her a Samsung Smart TV and are wanting to use some of the smart capabilities that it has to expand programming choices for her. She has very few TV shows she likes and with her condition all she does is sit in her chair and watch TV. Recently, one of her favorite shows was removed from the programming schedule and having the ability to watch Amazon TV and other on-line channels she would have access to that again.

The shop is a future want but I thought that with the antenna, I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I have added a WiFi extender near the same end of the house as where I want to place the antenna but even that doesn't provide enough signal to be useful. It's picking up the wireless signal from the All-in-one unit supplied by Comcast. That's why I thought about attaching an antenna from the router.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Mike, have you poked around in the settings of the wireless router portion? Do you know where the power levels are set? By default they're usually set pretty low, like a 1 or 2 on a 10 scale.
    To get into my router's settings I simply point a web browser to 192.168.1.1 and from there follow the menus. You're looking for Wireless Settings or some such thing.

If you go the route you originally suggest, the easiest cost effective solution is to simply place another router at the end of that cable through the attic and preferably buy one with a detachable antenna so you can put the antenna itself outside.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

keenanj is offline Member

Mike, I don't think you will be able to get a signal inside the future shop without using a point to point bridge setup like the enstation5 kit

you can use these in wds bridge mode to connect the 2 locations and then install a indoor AP inside the shop for coverage.