Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    GOAT is offline Member

add to the list of films only on VHS is a Wilder/Lemmon/Walter team up.. Buddy ____

i forget the whole title... but I want to see is desperately and considering the parries involved I can not believe there has been no DVD release.. but yes I have trashed all but around 10 VHS tapes (rare pokemon stuff) and no longer have a VHS plater

Default Buddy buddy (1981)?

I think this is what you were thinking of [Buddy buddy (1981)]:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082111/

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Samuel Johnson

GOAT is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jedi.master.dre View Post
    I think this is what you were thinking of [Buddy buddy (1981)]:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082111/

yep thats the one

Anyone like me and still using VHS? I still use LD, VHS, SD DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray.

I use a JVC S-VHS player through a DVDO Edge and I just bought 2 different comb filters to try out. A faroudja and an Entech.
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." Samuel Johnson

JBL4645 is offline Member

Anyone like me and still using VHS? I still use LD, VHS, SD DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray.

I use a JVC S-VHS player through a DVDO Edge and I just bought 2 different comb filters to try out. A faroudja and an Entech.
    I still have VHS laserdisc DVD and this thing called a blu stingray.

The bluray is hardly used LOL I have discs in front of me some +40 that I hardly bother playing now. I just got a multi-regional DVD player and bought “Leviathan” which has been played for 6 days now!

I just like vintage Dolby stereo 4.2.4 and scope 2.35:1 I think this turkey has matured in 20 years and its like godfather quality now. These are the times worth waiting for.

Ferguson PAL VHS Hi-Fi NICAM 725 digital VCR
    Philips BDP3000 region B / region 2
    Pioneer CLD-1750 PAL/NTSC
    Pioneer CLD-2950 PAL/NTSC
    Pioneer DV-515 multi-region DVD
    Pioneer DV-525 region 2 DVD
    Cello DR-810 DVD recorded player region 2
    Sony VDP S-336 DVD region 2

Just watched Hey Good Lookin' the other day, not available on any other format. The 1952 Robin Hood and His Merrie Men as well.

crazzeto is offline Member

Yep, my wife and I actually just got a VHS deck, hooked it up to my 50" toshiba and threw in Hamburger Hill to start with, quality on that tape was rather meh (picture), though audio with some Prologic and Theater DSP on my 605 was fairly decent actually. Since then I've tried the Star Trek Voyager and DS9 Plots, both had fairly decen picture qualities actually. I was rather supprised. yeah you could for sure tell it was video tape, but over all it wasn't horrid. Actually it was good enough that I could tell that Voyager (as is) wouldn't scale very well to higher def formats. SFX just aren't that good.

Over all I think if you still have some video tapes you don't feel like rebuying (or don't have the option to), there's still a place for the format in a high def world.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)

djmarch is offline Member

When I got my first LCD screen, I tries VHS on it and it was unwatchable. I now have a Sony Bravia and the onboard upscaling does a pretty decent job with VHS

Blu Monday is offline Member

I haven't had a VHS player in 20 years. Back in '96, my player died & I didn't like the format much anyway, so I never got it replaced - I was obviously not the big movie/TV show fan that I am now, however.

I'm surprised that anyone still has VHS tapes & VCR's. Are there stores out there that still repair VCR's?!

That all being said, I understand why some keep the format - since there are still some movies that are not on DVD/Blu-ray.
    Last edited by Blu Monday; 02-14-2016 at 02:44 AM.

pjarvi is offline Founding Member

There is at least one combo DVD+VHS player still being sold at Wal-Mart for some ridiculously high price. Plenty of refurbished and used players on eBay. In the last year I purchased 2 VHS tapes that are not available on DVD: BodyWaves (1992) and Fat Boys 3x3 (1988). Only have a total of 5 at this point, just scratching an itch for things from my youth.
    Blu-ray movies: 1
    HD-DVD movies: 12

Blu Monday is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by pjarvi View Post
    There is at least one combo DVD+VHS player still being sold at Wal-Mart for some ridiculously high price. Plenty of refurbished and used players on eBay. In the last year I purchased 2 VHS tapes that are not available on DVD: BodyWaves (1992) and Fat Boys 3x3 (1988). Only have a total of 5 at this point, just scratching an itch for things from my youth.
    Interesting. I find it ironic that VHS tapes and players are going for such high prices these days. I never liked the format back in the day - even before DVD/Blu-ray.

That being said, it is true that there are still at least some films that are only available on VHS, not DVD/Blu-ray.

Rich86 is offline Member

Over the past couple of years, I have picked up 2 VHS/DVD player/recorder combo units with built-in digital tuners + upconverting hdmi outputs. These cost less than $7 each at a local hospice charity fund raiser store. They include a Toshiba DVR670 and a Panasonic DMR-EZ475V. They are both in mint condition, came with original remote controls, can play back s-vhs tapes (yeah, I still have some of those hanging around) & work perfectly. There are bargains out there if you stay attentive & are lucky.
    Last edited by Rich86; 03-24-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

What a blast from the past
    = 619(62.9%)
    = 365 (37.1%)
    Last : UHD-IMAX: Extreme Adventure Collection
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: UBP-X800, UBD-K8500, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Rich86 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    What a blast from the past
    These actually get used occasionally as they are in 2 different places (home vs. mountain place) & I tend to not use my BD players for regular DVDs & I use my HD-A35 if I want to watch a particular DVD & get the best pq.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234