Default Apple's iCloud Screwed Me!

I've been a long time iPod Touch user. Absolutely love it and was waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone, then patiently held out for the 4s... Which I recently picked up.

I spent about 2+ hours moving everything over from my Touch to the new iPhone and had to pick up MS Office Professional to get my Notes moved over. My Notes which represent a couple of years of important information and didn't really have a solid backup because of how difficult Apple makes this.

So, everything is running nice and smooth, and I setup iCloud to backup all of my information automatically.

Backup to iCloud? YES!
    Backup to computer via wi-fi? YES!

Then, one day, I go through my Notes and everything is fine, and that night ALL OF MY NOTES ARE GONE!

Two hours on the phone with Apple later, and the Notes are completely lost and gone.

Apple's explanation: ???

Yes, they don't know what went down, but I'm pretty sure I know what did.

iCloud pushes all information stored on iCloud to your devices, and does so regardless of any settings you make.

iCloud will overwrite your existing data and notes whether you want it to or not. If your notes don't make it into iCloud, so it thinks you should have no Notes, then it deletes whatever Notes you currently have so that you are properly 'synched'. Not that you have told your iDevice to SYNC or allow deletions (not an option), but because that's one of those 'we do everything' features that Apple doesn't have figured out and doesn't do properly.

I have no idea where my Notes in Outlook have gone, and I assume that they were deleted as some point by the iPhone as well, but I have personally tested iCloud deletion of my Notes.

I created a Note on my iPhone. I went to iCloud.com and I saw the Note there. I deleted the Note from iCloud.com. Within seconds the Note was gone from my iPhone. It never asked, it never confirmed - it just got rid of it. There is no way for me to turn this off and have it automatically back up my notes.

Apparently there was also an option for Notes to be emailed to people, so when people would delete their unwated emails it would ALSO track back and delete the original Note.

Go figure.

Just my rant for the day and a warning for others. My first serious Apple headache and something I'll get over eventually. Lesson learned on my part.
    AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology consultation during the build and installation process in the Washington DC, Northern VA, and MD area.
    Yeah, I've lost many a thing to their idea of sync. It's on my Apple shitlist. But, that's part of the reason I use additional software to backup my stuff, and then I keep it I a separate folder on a separate drive.
    "How long is this movie?"

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

"Three hours...at least."
    The ENTIRE POINT of iCloud is to sync everything across all of the computers and devices that are linked to that particular iCloud account. The ENTIRE POINT is that deleting a contact or calendar appointment on one device (or in the cloud) AUTOMATICALLY deletes it on every other computer or device. That is what it is SUPPOSED to do. Apple gives you a fair level of control over what is or isn't synced through the cloud.

Sorry, it worked EXACTLY as it was supposed to work.

Mark
    Mark - I didn't delete anything in the cloud.

So the Cloud didn't back up anything, it didn't create a restore point. I can log into my Cloud account and see photos (on my PC iCloud application) and those photos are NOT on my iPhone.

The notes that were on my iPhone were never deleted or touched in any way on iCloud.

Apple is stupidly insane if they think people want deletions to occur over multiple devices. Most people don't want multiple emails or multiple notes or multiple 'everything' across multiple devices, and there is no option to turn this automatic, unasked, deletion off. But, in my case, I didn't delete my notes from iCloud. They simply were deleted from my phone by iCloud.

No system should ever automatically perform deletions without asking first or creating true recoverable backups.

Oh, that photo of my wife I don't want on my iPad, I just want it on my iPhone... Delete... Oh, now it's gone forever from everything.

Pure stupidity to even believe for a moment that is rational thought.
    AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology consultation during the build and installation process in the Washington DC, Northern VA, and MD area.
    Quote Originally Posted by AV_Integrated
    I deleted the Note from iCloud.com. Within seconds the Note was gone from my iPhone. It never asked, it never confirmed - it just got rid of it.
    I didn't delete anything in the cloud.
    I tried to understand what is going on, but your story isn't straight.

Apple is stupidly insane if they think people want deletions to occur over multiple devices. Most people don't want multiple emails or multiple notes or multiple 'everything' across multiple devices
    I have no idea how iCloud works or how it is supposed to work, but I will say that it is normal in a syncronization system that if you add, change, or delete content on one device, the same will occur on all devices without asking for permission. That's the point. This is how Dropbox works, it's how Activesync worked, and it's how I would want any sync system to work if I were using it. I disagree that this is "stupidly insane".

and there is no option to turn this automatic, unasked, deletion off
    Again, I don't use iCloud personally, but it would appear that there is in fact a way to turn it off, even down to individual types of content.

The story has two parts.

The first part was that I asked iCloud to backup all my account information - everything.

Then it deleted everything.

My iPhone basically is set identically to what the pictures above show. It doesn't talk about syncing at all, just backing data up. No 'delete' option. Just backup.

So, all my notes got deleted and I went to iCloud.com for the first time and saw no notes at all.

So, I created a few notes. I saw them at iCloud.com - then I deleted one of them on iCloud, and it disappeared from my phone.

Prior to this test, I had not logged onto iCloud.com at all I had only asked my phone to perform iCloud backup for all selected file types.

So, my logging onto iCloud and deleting one note occurred for the first time AFTER I found all of my notes deleted.

Two hours on the phone with Apple and they had no reason at all for what occurred, but I'm 99% positive I could recreate exactly what happenned by creating a note on my iPod Touch. Syncing it to my Outlook account, then syncing my iPhone, then telling my iPhone to sync with iCloud - and iCloud would promptly delete the brand new transferred notes off my iPhone.

I really like my iPhone, but this is extreme stupdity on the part of Apple. People do NOT WANT CONTENT DELETED AUTOMATICALLY! It should never ever occur without some very clearly defined 'delete across all connected iCloud devices?' option checkbox. Short of this (and it should still clearly confirm this selection!) Apple should not be deleting automatically - ever.