Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Blade Runner The Final Cut 4K - HDD Reveiew

Blade Runner The Final Cut is the new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray demo disc to flash at your pals who don't see the point in upgrading... but don't go tossing out your previous Blu-ray (or HD-DVD) sets.

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/484...ahdbluray.html

UPDATE 9/4/17: Matthew has also covered the VUDU UHD release with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos, which is included with the purchase of the 4K Blu-ray.

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/510...inalcut4k.html

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

"Considering the film was originally only in stereo, I honestly wasn't expecting much directionality,"

Not quite correct. Blade Runner has always been a surround sound movie. "Dolby Stereo" was a matrixed 4-channel surround format, with 3 channels across the front and a mono surround channel. In 1982, many theaters also played the film in 70mm blow-up prints with a 6-Track sound mix (5 channels across the front + mono surround).

For home video, Dolby Stereo was rebranded as Dolby Surround, which could be decoded with Dolby ProLogic processing in an A/V receiver. Even VHS copies of Blade Runner featured surround sound.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

cupboy is online now Member

So what you're saying is the Theatrical Cut and International Cut were not intentionally included?

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    So what you're saying is the Theatrical Cut and International Cut were not intentionally included?
    Correct. That was a mistake for early samples sent out to the press.

Plissken99 is offline Member

Well hell.. it's on my Xmas list.

The review refers to the 2007 release, but there was also a 2012 30th Anniversary edition with 3 Blu-ray and 1 DVD (contains the single movie only), and a toy spinner car (made in China).

There is a Japan version (Blu-ray only) which contains some Blade Runner 2049 content, otherwise there is nothing special about it. Perhaps the disk that you did not receive contains this content?

Also there are no DVDs with this from what I can see. bn.com has a picture of the back cover. Although the picture is of low resolution I see no DVD logo. A review on digitalbits claims that Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner is on a DVD. No way. Do they make this stuff up? It's on a Blu-ray in the 2012 edition. Why would it be on a DVD included with a UHD. As for the DVD logo not being there I guess that doesn't really mean anything because the 2012 release contains a DVD and there is no DVD logo on the back of the case.

Stacking 2 disks on each side: Awful! Hate it when they do that with a full-priced item. For a budget item I can see where they need to save a little bit of money.

I'm tempted to buy the 2 disk set from the UK. It's a little cheaper but would need to wait for delivery. I really don't need all 4 disks especially ones I already have and if there's a stinkin' DVD somehow in there.
    I will wait for further updates regarding the DVD. If there is one in the USA set I'm ordering from the UK.
    Last edited by cupboy; 09-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

This U.S. release features Discs One, Two, and Four from the 2007 Blu-ray set. Disc One was the standard Blu-ray of The Final Cut while discs Two and Four were the DVDs that had all of the stanadard def bonus featues.

Review screeners didn't include Disc Four and were accidentally given Disc Three which was a Blu-ray that had the Theatrical, International, and the 1992 Director's Cut disc. The copies folks pick up from retailers should have Disc Four and not Disc Three with the multiple cuts.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

In my opinion this is a fraudulent item if they are putting DVDs into a package that only states Ultra HD and Blu-ray disks as being inside. I'm sure they will be getting some returns.

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    In my opinion this is a fraudulent item if they are putting DVDs into a package that only states Ultra HD and Blu-ray disks as being inside. I'm sure they will be getting some returns.
    I'd call it more lazy than fraudulent - technically an Ultra HD Disc and a Blu-ray disc are included. I think of it similarly how some Special Edition release Blu-rays include SD bonus features. If they were claiming the bonus features were in HD that'd be something else entirely.

UPDATE. Matthew also reviewed the VUDU UHD version with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos:

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    UPDATE. Matthew also reviewed the VUDU UHD version with Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos:

If you're new to the film on Blu-ray and are hankering for a terrific overview of the 5-Disc Blu-ray set that's readily available, please give that a read Here. <=== if I click on the link it goes to an admin login screen

Fixed the broken link.

Bubdylan is offline Member

Welp, this'll be the release that drives me to upgrade my tv.

Dr Kain is offline Member

Does this come with a booklet containing the pages from the Digibook edition of The Final Cut?

Has anyone seen this in a retail store? Target, Walmart and Best Buy don't seem to be stocking it. I did see Rough Night over at Walmart. That was the only new release UHD there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast