Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    Has anyone seen the Best Buy steelbook version? I bought one but it looks totally different than the picture on their website. It's a Project Pop Art steelbook. Priced at $27.99.
    The web site just shows the movie's poster, not the actual SteelBook. Can you take a photo?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

mattysemo247 on the DVDTalk forum posted this:

Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

cupboy is offline Member

That's the one. These 4k steelbook cases don't look any different than the standard Blu-ray steelbook cases. I would prefer it to say 4k on it somewhere, other than the outer label that comes off after it's opened.

This was a quick sell-out at the BBYs around here. The closest store was already out of them before the store opened and 3 were left at the farther away store about 10 mins. after the store opened, which is where I bought mine, then they were down to two. Then by the time I got back home the website shows none left.

Vidfreek is offline Member

That's the one. These 4k steelbook cases don't look any different than the standard Blu-ray steelbook cases. I would prefer it to say 4k on it somewhere, other than the outer label that comes off after it's opened.

This was a quick sell-out at the BBYs around here. The closest store was already out of them before the store opened and 3 were left at the farther away store about 10 mins. after the store opened, which is where I bought mine, then they were down to two. Then by the time I got back home the website shows none left.
    Nice to know people are buying one really shitty movie....I'm amazed anyone can watch this and not have a seizure

cupboy is offline Member

It's all about the steelbook. I didn't say anything about opening it up and playing it.

Bolo is offline Member

I rented this one and found it pretty boring. It does provide as much of a conclusion as you can expect from such a long-running convoluted narrative as this series has, but it's just not much fun to watch. Nobody seems all that engaged on either side of the camera.

malakai is offline Member

Well, I decided to go ahead and try the UHD version with the XBOX ONE S, and luckily, it worked with ATMOS. I guess the deciding factor was that it was already released and was available at my local walmart, which is a miracle in itself, I didn't want to wait a month for the 3D version to arrive from China, or maybe longer had I gotten the Polish version, which isn't released yet.

The camera cuts/edits may be a bit distracting at first, but after awhile, I didn't really notice them. I've never really liked Claire Redfield in the series... She just seem to be too plain/boring... but I guess Ali Larter must just be the type of actress that is always available, always looking for work, and she's easy filler for the series, and because she's boring, they don't have to kill her off, because she's not making Milla look bad. Still, no return for Jill Valentine.
    Spoiler:
    Are they saying that she (and all others that were traveling with Alice) died? Either way, I guess it looks like this series probably isn't over after all. A combination of vagueness and the ability for any character to have any number of clones in the RE universe now means that anyone an comeback though...

So, to me, I have to figure out which one is worse, this one or Retribution. I'm leaning toward this one even being worse than Retribution, but I have to go back soon to that film and watch it again... Oh, the sacrifices we have to make, for curiosity's sake...

It's all about the steelbook. I didn't say anything about opening it up and playing it.
    Well thats interesting, never really saw anyone buy a movie that doesnt matter just to have the steelbook. Dont think I ever waste money on a movie I dont plan to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
    Well thats interesting, never really saw anyone buy a movie that doesnt matter just to have the steelbook.
    It happens. A lot. Especially with franchises where the urge to be a completist is overwhelming.
    Josh Z

timcharger is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    It happens. A lot. Especially with franchises where the urge to be a completist is overwhelming.
    I hate myself for buying this horrendous pop-art Steelbook. I own the previous films in HD DVD or 3D blu-ray, so I had no completist urge for getting the pop-art Steelbooks. I pre-ordered the Steelbook while it had normal looking cover art, not this pop-art sh*t. But I ordered during a 25% off ($25 off $100) promotion, so I decided to keep it at its discounted price.

About owning the film itself, yeah, that's​ pure completist fever.

timcharger is offline Member

But I will open it up and play with it. The Steelbook, that is. Don't take that out of context.

In regards to my last post, about which of the last two RE movies were the worst... I just finished watching Retribution... and I must say, it's a tough call. Retribution did change up the series a lot, and compared to The Final Chapter, the production values are way better IMO. I'd say there's a slight edge to the soundtrack on Retribution as well, even though I'm upmixing it to ATMOS, vs the ATMOS bitstreamed soundtrack on Final Chapter.. What really seems to kill Retribution is that it doesn't feel like a full movie. It ends abruptly, and you're left wondering where the last 1/3rd of the film is, while the credits are rolling.

It doesn't really matter that the last film really didn't have anything going for it, that it was pretty boring, and that there is really no love for any of the new characters... I think they're equally as bad, in the bigger picture.. So, my list of best to worst RE films:

#1: Resident Evil
    #2: Resident Evil: Afterlife
    #3: Resident Evil: Extinction
    #4: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    #5/6 Retribution and The Final Chapter equally shares these numbers..

I know that a lot of people would probably put Apocalypse ahead of Extinction. After all, it introduced Jill Valentine. It's just a film that I didn't get much into, but I think, if we compare it to the last two films, it's pure gold! Maybe one day I'll change my mind and put Apocalypse ahead of Extinction.. but this is it for now..

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Oh trust me, I get that, as I'm one myself...but something this bad I just cannot give them money for, to me, they ruined the franchise with the final outing. Having enjoyed each installment up until this point I just dont want this piece of garbage in my collection, I'll take it for super cheap if I can get it but other than that or free, I'm not paying them $30 for this shit show

Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    In regards to my last post, about which of the last two RE movies were the worst... I just finished watching Retribution... and I must say, it's a tough call. Retribution did change up the series a lot, and compared to The Final Chapter, the production values are way better IMO. I'd say there's a slight edge to the soundtrack on Retribution as well, even though I'm upmixing it to ATMOS, vs the ATMOS bitstreamed soundtrack on Final Chapter.. What really seems to kill Retribution is that it doesn't feel like a full movie. It ends abruptly, and you're left wondering where the last 1/3rd of the film is, while the credits are rolling.

It doesn't really matter that the last film really didn't have anything going for it, that it was pretty boring, and that there is really no love for any of the new characters... I think they're equally as bad, in the bigger picture.. So, my list of best to worst RE films:

#1: Resident Evil
    #2: Resident Evil: Afterlife
    #3: Resident Evil: Extinction
    #4: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    #5/6 Retribution and The Final Chapter equally shares these numbers..

I know that a lot of people would probably put Apocalypse ahead of Extinction. After all, it introduced Jill Valentine. It's just a film that I didn't get much into, but I think, if we compare it to the last two films, it's pure gold! Maybe one day I'll change my mind and put Apocalypse ahead of Extinction.. but this is it for now..
    Nope, I put Extinction well ahead of Apocalypse to, it was a much more competent film visually and far better directed (coming from the director of Highlander) Even though I really like Apocalypse for its total cheese, the way its shot feels like amateur hour in comparison to Extinction, the horrible walking shots of the zombies, weirdly edited like House of the Dead, the fun but bad looking Nemesis suit and of course the awful dialogue and action sequences, that graveyard fight is almost as bad as The Final Chapter stuff, so I'll gladly watch Extinction any time over Apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
    Nope, I put Extinction well ahead of Apocalypse to, it was a much more competent film visually and far better directed (coming from the director of Highlander) Even though I really like Apocalypse for its total cheese, the way its shot feels like amateur hour in comparison to Extinction, the horrible walking shots of the zombies, weirdly edited like House of the Dead, the fun but bad looking Nemesis suit and of course the awful dialogue and action sequences, that graveyard fight is almost as bad as The Final Chapter stuff, so I'll gladly watch Extinction any time over Apocalypse
    Yeah, I've seen the first RE film probably over a dozen times and have the DVD, Superbit DVD, and Japanese HD-DVD of that film. I've seen Extinction and Afterlife in 3D, in the theaters, have watched each of these multiple times, and own the German HD-DVD of Extinction and the 3D Blu-ray of Afterlife. Until recently, I had only watched Retribution one time, from the 3D blu-ray, and obviously, I just saw The Final Chapter for the first time and in 2D. Apocalypse, I've probably only watched all the way through one time, maybe twice, just to see how the HD-DVD version compared to the DVD. Then again, I may have just played bits and pieces and not watched it in its entirety the second go round. I didn't see it in theaters, and I own the DVD and a German HD-DVD version of it.

Either way, if a UHD 4K version of Apocalypse, with a good ATMOS track comes out, that may get me to look at the film again... With Retribution, I don't think ATMOS, 4k, HDR10, HDR12, or anything could save it..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast