Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Arrival' Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray - Hgh-Def Digest Reviews

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'Arrival'. Here's what he thought...

Ultra HD Blu-ray:
    http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/408...ahdbluray.html

Blu-ray:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/40818/arrival.html

Boston007 is offline Member

I need to see this!

Dr Kain is offline Member

It's an excellent movie and I feel it was 2016's The Martian. However, like The Martian, it's not a film I feel I need to ever see again.

signia76 is online now Member

Hopefully it's not what my dad says and "boring as shit".
    21" Panasonic CRT
    2004 Ford Focus
    Dell 410
    Fleshlight
    Duct tape

ShannonNutt is offline HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
    It's not a movie I want to see again - I saw the "twist" from a mile away and don't share the film's opinion that what the aliens offer humanity is this big, wonderful thing (I won't spoil it beyond that) - but there's enough here to warrant checking it out. Most like this movie, so I am in the vast minority with my opinion.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Thulsadoom is offline Member

I missed this at the cinema, but I'm curious enough that I'll blind buy. From what I've read, though, I reckon I'll either love it or find it more pretentious than deep. I'm hoping the former. ;-) There are far too few intelligent science fiction films around at the moment.

punisher is offline Member

unfortunately..it is...I might watch it again on HBO or whatever but if I never see it again that's ok too.

dianebrat is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by punisher View Post
    unfortunately..it is...I might watch it again on HBO or whatever but if I never see it again that's ok too.
    YMMV, I felt it was one of the more refreshing movies of 2016 and not filled with the usual tropes, I had suspicions on what the twist was about 1/4 in, cemented it about 1/2 in, but found I still enjoyed watching them put the puzzle together.

The one thing that it's not is an action movie and the people that have been brought up to believe all sci-fi has to be action were disappointed, it's definitely a more thinking movie. I enjoyed it but I'm disappointed they're not making it UHD friendly and the BD seems to be the better purchase.

So a movie that focuses on character development and plot = boring?

I may have said it's not a movie I really feel like I need to see again, but it is no where near boring. It's very thought provoking, has great character moments, an intelligent plot that brought something new to the table, excellent acting all around, and some truly excellent dialog, especially in its one liners (and when they pretty much call out how stupid Fox News is).

signia76 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So a movie that focuses on character development and plot = boring?

I may have said it's not a movie I really feel like I need to see again, but it is no where near boring. It's very thought provoking, has great character moments, an intelligent plot that brought something new to the table, excellent acting all around, and some truly excellent dialog, especially in its one liners (and when they pretty much call out how stupid Fox News is).
    So a movie that focuses on character development and plot CAN'T be boring?
    21" Panasonic CRT
    2004 Ford Focus
    Dell 410
    Fleshlight
    Duct tape

eastx is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    I enjoyed it but I'm disappointed they're not making it UHD friendly and the BD seems to be the better purchase.
    What's wrong with the UHD release?
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

Vidfreek is offline Member

I've sung this movies praises just about every where I talk about movies, this was my favorite movie of last year, hands down. From the acting, to the directing, to the cinematography, this is a master class of science fiction that just doesnt come around often enough. With Prisoners, Sicario, Enemy and now this under his belt, Dennis Villenuve is near the top of my favorite film makers. He's making Blade Runner 2....what??? yes indeed, one of the best science fiction films of all time and this man is bringing us the sequel? I so cant wait to see it and now he's attached to bring us Dune? If there is one guy who can pull it off, its him.

I cant wait to watch this again, its spectacular on all levels and I'm pissed that Amy Adams got snubbed at the Oscars for this one!

punisher is offline Member

[QUOTE=Dr Kain;2606251]So a movie that focuses on character development and plot = boring?

It's very thought provoking, QUOTE]

snore provoking for me..LOL

and yes I did start to doze on my seat

dianebrat is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastx View Post
    What's wrong with the UHD release?
    From the review:
    Stepping into a conventional digital cinema for 'Arrival', I was met with muddy black levels and poor contrast. At the time, I ascribed my experience to my particular cinema, even snarking about it on Facebook.
    Turns out this is exactly how the filmmakers want 'Arrival' to look.

At the end of the day, this Ultra HD Blu-ray is never going to be a demo disc -- it's bland at times with grey black levels -- but that's okay. More important to understand is how this disc quite accurately replicates the filmmakers' intent / how the movie looked in commercial cinemas, regardless of how those results land along our numerical scale of what makes for pretty Ultra HD pictures.
    That's was also in some ways my experience with Girl on the Train on UHD, there's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing that leverages the additional capabilities and on GoaT I feel the color balance on the BD is slightly nicer to my eyes.

So a movie that focuses on character development and plot CAN'T be boring?
    I didn't say that, but this movie is not even remotely close to being boring. It does something that we haven't seen done before.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast