Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49
  1. #16
    Bolo's Avatar
    Bolo is online now Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    508

    Default

    I feel the same as most other people here. I can't criticize this movie for anything. Everything it sets out to do, it accomplishes perfectly. I just don't feel any desire to ever revisit it.

    And yes, Villeneuve is one of the best working right now.

  2. #17
    ShannonNutt's Avatar
    ShannonNutt is online now HDD Reviewer/Blogger
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I didn't say that, but this movie is not even remotely close to being boring. It does something that we haven't seen done before.
    I disagree with that. My biggest issue with the movie is we HAVE seen this done before - many times. Perhaps not as much in movies as on TV series, but it's something the Lindeloff/Cuse team might have come up with.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

  3. #18
    Dr Kain's Avatar
    Dr Kain is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,253

    Default

    What other movie out there is about a group of aliens that come to Earth to give them knowledge and they have to work through the barriers of language to get it?

  4. #19
    onaccountof's Avatar
    onaccountof is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    What other movie out there is about a group of aliens that come to Earth to give them knowledge and they have to work through the barriers of language to get it?
    Let's start out with an episode of the Twilight Zone (I know it's TV) "To Serve Man". Which, to this day, (50+ years later) still remains embedded in my head. This movie will easily be forgotten.

  5. #20
    Vidfreek is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onaccountof View Post
    Let's start out with an episode of the Twilight Zone (I know it's TV) "To Serve Man". Which, to this day, (50+ years later) still remains embedded in my head. This movie will easily be forgotten.
    An episode of a show that most modern day audiences have never seen or dont know even exists. Again, what other movie, big theatrical release, has done anything remotely similar to Arrival? I dont recall any, most Alien movies dont involve linguistics of any kind or Aliens that give a shit about the human race, so really, it hasnt been done often if much at all

  6. #21
    Dr Kain's Avatar
    Dr Kain is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onaccountof View Post
    Let's start out with an episode of the Twilight Zone (I know it's TV) "To Serve Man". Which, to this day, (50+ years later) still remains embedded in my head. This movie will easily be forgotten.
    Okay... cool you are talking about a low budget TV show from 50 years ago. I have not even watched The Twilight Zone, and if I have never seen it yet (it's on my list of things to watch eventually), what chance do you think there is that most of my generation and the generation after has watched it? Only 1 out of every 20 kids today would watch it, and they really would only watch it if their parents watched it, which isn't likely.

    Hell, I've got several friends that won't watch something if it is made before the Star Wars.

    Anyway, you still didn't answer my question. What MOVIES have done this before?

  7. #22
    eastx's Avatar
    eastx is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Posts
    2,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
    I disagree with that. My biggest issue with the movie is we HAVE seen this done before - many times. Perhaps not as much in movies as on TV series, but it's something the Lindeloff/Cuse team might have come up with.
    Simply not true. Like or dislike the movie (we all react to art differently), but the specifics of the story are unique. And the movie is extremely well made in every respect, regardless of whether some secret glut of movies that deal with communicating with aliens during first contact and the perception of time exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by onaccountof View Post
    Let's start out with an episode of the Twilight Zone (I know it's TV) "To Serve Man". Which, to this day, (50+ years later) still remains embedded in my head. This movie will easily be forgotten.
    That is a really silly criticism. "Because Twilight Zone had an episode that dealt with first contact with aliens, no other story dealing with that very broad concept can be good or memorable."
    Last edited by eastx; 02-17-2017 at 04:05 AM.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

  8. #23
    Plissken99's Avatar
    Plissken99 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    2,218

    Default

    I don't know what it is about movies like this, but I can always watch them. Contact, Interstellar now Arrival, they make you think(which particularly turned audiences off to Interstellar). Looking forward to getting the UHD soon.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

  9. #24
    timcharger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
    It's not a movie I want to see again - I saw the "twist" from a mile away and don't share the film's opinion that what the aliens offer humanity is this big, wonderful thing (I won't spoil it beyond that) - but there's enough here to warrant checking it out. Most like this movie, so I am in the vast minority with my opinion.
    Okay, I'll bite. Why is what the aliens doing a bad thing?
    Or not a "big, wonderful thing?"

    (Use spoiler quotes to remedy your concern.)

  10. #25
    timcharger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    What other movie out there is about a group of aliens that come to Earth to give them
    Spoiler:
    knowledge and they have to work through the barriers of language to get it?
    This really should be in spoiler quotes. Because we
    know that President Joffrey in Arrival would have
    tweeted that the bad hombres on the illegal alien
    spaceships were bringing rapists, drugs, and weapons.

    The plot relies on the uncertainty of the aliens' purpose
    so what they are giving us:
    Spoiler:
    weapons or knowledge

    is a spoiler.
    Last edited by timcharger; 02-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.

  11. #26
    timcharger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eastx View Post
    Simply not true. Like or dislike the movie (we all react to art differently), but the specifics of the story are unique. And the movie is extremely well made in every respect, regardless of whether some secret glut of movies that deal with communicating with aliens during first contact and the perception of
    Spoiler:
    time
    exists.



    That is a really silly criticism. "Because Twilight Zone had an episode that dealt with first contact with aliens, no other story dealing with that very broad concept can be good or memorable."
    Well said.

    The part about "perception of
    Spoiler:
    time"

    should be in spoilers, too.

  12. #27
    timcharger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    I don't know what it is about movies like this, but I can always watch them. Contact, Interstellar now Arrival, they make you think(which particularly turned audiences off to Interstellar). Looking forward to getting the UHD soon.
    Just got it from Target. Currently, if you can have find 2
    other similarly priced movies, the buy 2 get 1 free promo
    is a great savings.

  13. #28
    timcharger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Josh, you're gonna gripe about this film's "magic love time rays"
    like you did for Interstellar? Or in this case, "magic alien
    Spoiler:
    time ink?"

  14. #29
    thejnc's Avatar
    thejnc is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    14,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    I don't know what it is about movies like this, but I can always watch them. Contact, Interstellar now Arrival, they make you think(which particularly turned audiences off to Interstellar). Looking forward to getting the UHD soon.
    Audiences were turned off by Interstellar? Flick did like $700 million. Not sure how they were turned off.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

  15. #30
    eNoize's Avatar
    eNoize is offline The Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    5,455

    Default

    I haven't chime in this discussion because I wanted to watch the film again a couple times and reflect because Villeneuve is rapidly becoming my favorite filmmaker working today for a reason and who demands reflection on his work. As eastx has already stated, like or dislike 'Arrival' for personal preferences and tastes is one thing and completely legitimate. Cinema is first and foremost a subjective experience towards entertainment, but to simply dismiss the film because it is not original enough is a bad reason to dislike it. Frankly, all of art, literature and film is guilty of that fact.

    It's pretty late at the moment, so I'll just quickly surmise my point before I ramble on. The beauty of 'Arrival' as an art form is the way it speaks about the way we experience time and our weak attempts in expressing that experience through communication, which is itself limited and heavily flawed. The intentions of what one says and writes are ultimately understood, judged and interpreted by the listener and reader, outside of the control of the writer and speaker, a phenomenon explored better by philosophers Roland Barthes, Hans-Robert Jauss and Stanley Fish.

    I find it incredibly fascinating what Villeneuve did in expressing these limitations, and one such ingenious example was through the use of screens, computer monitors for humans while the aliens used a literal barrier. Given our current political climate where the current head of state fails to understand his every word is being listened around the world, he is learning that word choice for capturing one's true intentions are literally everything. Anyhow, back to the point. On a more symbolic, metaphorical level, I imagine Villeneuve is also commenting on film itself as an art form of communication, and the beautiful editing work, the silent art, is the means through which I see him accomplishing this.

    It's clear, to me, at least, Villeneuve is a big fan of one of the world's greatest filmmakers to have ever lived: Andrei Tarkovsky. In watching 'Arrival,' I'm reminded of what he once said in an interview:

    "Each art, and cinema is an art, even if it’s in a position of, let’s say, humiliating inferiority, each art form has its own specific element. What does this mean? It means that it has a content, a subject, that does not correspond with the essence of the other art forms, other artistic activities. In practice, it is what distinguishes one art from another. Photography could be an art form. We all know Cartier-Bresson, a genius in this field. We have painting, that can not compete with photography, just like photography can not compete with painting. What is done in films can’t be done in another art form. What is done in literature can not be done in cinema. Otherwise, such different art forms would not exist because they would be a mixture. I think film is the only art form that works with the concept of time. It’s not that it develops in time because they all do: music, theatre, ballet, and other artistic activities. I refer to “time” in the literal sense of the word. To what a shot is, from the moment you say “action” until you say “cut.” What is that? It’s the fixing of reality, fixing of time’s essence. It is a way of preserving time which, in theory, gives us the possibility of moving forward and backwards freely, for all eternity. No other art form is able to fix time as cinema does. Therefore, what is cinema? It's a mosaic made of time."

    Starting at around 10:40 and onwards:
    M. Enois Duarte
    High-Def Digest Contributor
    Hi-Def Collection
    Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

    Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
    we have very little reason to be interested in them.

    ~ Pauline Kael
    .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1