Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Pacific Rim - Ultra HD Blu-ray' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed the 'Pacific Rim - Ultra HD Blu-ray'. He says "this is one of the sharpest, most detailed, and colorful films the format has ever offered.: Plus, with this disc "you get a reference quality Dolby Atmos sound mix". Read on for all the details...

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/385...ahdbluray.html
    Check out my author website and
    get a free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

bruceames is offline Member

Nice review! I'm getting this tomorrow, can't wait to check it out.

Regarding the HDR difference between VUDU Dolby Vision and HDR10, it makes a big difference what display you use to compare it with, as the lower the peak luminosity, the more the highlights get clipped.

Hello, Nice Review.
    However, it would be better if you put the real spec from the discs (audio/subtitles). This way you can help those who live outside US to identify what movie have their languague, and decide what movie to buy.
    Thanks

Plissken99 is online now Member

Sigh.. I was afraid of that review. I'll get it when the price goes down a bit. Shame as it's one of my favorite 3D discs as well.

immikeulate is offline Member

This is still my favorite go to disc for demoing 3D combined with sound. Looks like it could be my 4K one too.
    PSN ID: M-Easy
    XBOX360 GT: m easy021
    -"LIKE THE GREAT WARRIOR POET ICE CUBE ONCE SAID: IF THE DAY DOES NOT REQUIRE AN AK, IT IS A GOOD ONE!" -Corporal Josh Ray Person, Generation Kill.

DanzBorin is offline Founding Member

Why is this disc so crazy expensive?
    LG 75UH8500 w/ Tivo Bolt
    Onkyo TX-NR646 w/ Polk Audio RTi8s, RT35i, matching center and Klipsh 10" Reference sub

Plissken99 is online now Member

Price gouging.. wait for Black Friday at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    Price gouging.. wait for Black Friday at this point.
    Sounds like a plan.
    LG 75UH8500 w/ Tivo Bolt
    Onkyo TX-NR646 w/ Polk Audio RTi8s, RT35i, matching center and Klipsh 10" Reference sub

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
    Why is this disc so crazy expensive?
    Warner Bros seems to maintain a higher street price.

Off topic. Great Movie. Wishlisted as I do not own the BD
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

thejnc is offline Member

This is my demo disc. Looks amazing. When I put the disc in I planned to just watch some kaiju/jaeger action. Ended up watching the whole thing.
    Finished 2017 Games
    Finished 2016 Games
    Finished 2015 Games
    Finished 2014 Games

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedSuit View Post
    Thejnc has essentially perfect grammar around here...

I got lucky and found this at a Best Buy when they were having their buy one get one 1/2 off sale. Their regular price was $29.99. Much better than the $45 Amazon is asking.

Now I just need time to watch it.
    LG 75UH8500 w/ Tivo Bolt

Radagaster is offline Member

I'm curious how the author was able to pull off the Dolby Atmos sound from the LG OLED via VUDU, since the LG OLED can't currently pass back Dolby Atmos audio to an AVR through the ARC HDMI.

Palmer is offline Administrator

To be clear, I never said I watched PACIFIC RIM on VUDU in Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos with the E6 OLED... I stated 1) that this UHD BD includes HDR10 and a Dolby Atmos sound mix (the subject of this review), and 2) that the PACIFIC RIM Digital HD redemption code works with VUDU UHD and includes Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos.

As I write this, the VIZIO P-Series (and possibly the M-Series) is the only way to watch PACIFIC RIM in VUDU UHD with Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos. With LG's 2016 model OLEDs, you can only watch PACIFIC RIM in VUDU with Dolby Vision + 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus. OR, if you connect a Roku Premiere/Premiere+/Ultra, you can watch PACIFIC RIM in VUDU UHD in 4K SDR + Dolby Atmos.

Freakyguy666 is offline Member

@Palmer have you watched the Bluray 3D version of this via projector? How would you compare the "experience" of the 4K HDR version versus "the experience" in 3D?

Straight from del Toro: "For action, adventure and genre cinema, I'm now a converted fan of 3D. I asked [Legendary Pictures] for the complete control of the 3D. I asked them for forty weeks or so to get the 3D conversion -- it usually takes just eight to twelve weeks -- and they agreed. As I'm a complete control freak, we achieved a 3D conversion that I think people will be very happy with it. It's now my favorite format for the vision of this movie, but I don't think 3D is for every film. If you can watch Pacific Rim in 3D, make sure to watch it that way."
    Last edited by Freakyguy666; 03-12-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Palmer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
    @Palmer have you watched the Bluray 3D version of this via projector? How would you compare the "experience" of the 4K HDR version versus "the experience" in 3D?

Straight from del Toro: "For action, adventure and genre cinema, I'm now a converted fan of 3D. I asked [Legendary Pictures] for the complete control of the 3D. I asked them for forty weeks or so to get the 3D conversion -- it usually takes just eight to twelve weeks -- and they agreed. As I'm a complete control freak, we achieved a 3D conversion that I think people will be very happy with it. It's now my favorite format for the vision of this movie, but I don't think 3D is for every film. If you can watch Pacific Rim in 3D, make sure to watch it that way."
    As I wrap up my evaluation period on the Epson 6040UB projectors, this is on the top of my To Do List -- the projector, while not true 4K, supports both HDR10/WCG as well as 3D (Rec709/SDR) and does a pretty great job at both. PAC RIM is next on my demo list so stay tuned.

Have you experienced both in projection yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast