Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Anyone that has signed up for pre-orders should be getting emails now from Oppo.

The price is currently $549, so perhaps they could not quite make the $499 price or this is just a pre-order price.

I clicked the link and it says "Ships in 2-3 days"
    Realistically people could have these by the end of the week. Sweet.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Official page updated:
    Looks impressive.
    http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/

dianebrat is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Site pimping?
    Simply posting a URL with zero explanation by definition is site pimping.
    Well if the shoe fits...
    I think you've identified the issue perfectly.

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

The following are some email quotes from OPPO Digital INC

"The player is shipping with the Official Firmware on a disc, but the player itself is shipping with firmware that is not the launch firmware." What OPPO Digital INC is saying, is that the player has BETA firmware installed at the factory, but at the last minute the official firmware became available and was placed on a optical disc.

"The player will pass DSD through both HDMI 1 and the sub HDMI output."

"SACD DSD will be supported through both HDMI outputs."

"The player does not have any streaming service support capabilities out of box, but the player can support having services added to it through a future firmware releases. It is up to the streaming services providers to support our platform, so we do not know when we may be able to add additional services to the player."

"The remote is the same as out current players, just with some minor changes to the button functions and not Netflix or VUDU button"

mw390 is offline Member

Ordered mine on Monday as soon as I got the email notification. Since I'm the east coast I don't expect to see it until week of December 19.

Quote Originally Posted by mw390 View Post
    Ordered mine on Monday as soon as I got the email notification. Since I'm the east coast I don't expect to see it until week of December 19.
    Did they give different shipping options was was it simply UPS Ground? Or worse, FedEx Ground, which my 103D came.

As expected, Oppo is also working on the UDP-205. And just like the 103 vs 105 models, the 205 has upgraded audio.

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    The following are some email quotes from OPPO Digital INC

"The player is shipping with the Official Firmware on a disc, but the player itself is shipping with firmware that is not the launch firmware." What OPPO Digital INC is saying, is that the player has BETA firmware installed at the factory, but at the last minute the official firmware became available and was placed on a optical disc.

"The player will pass DSD through both HDMI 1 and the sub HDMI output."

"SACD DSD will be supported through both HDMI outputs."

"The player does not have any streaming service support capabilities out of box, but the player can support having services added to it through a future firmware releases. It is up to the streaming services providers to support our platform, so we do not know when we may be able to add additional services to the player."

"The remote is the same as out current players, just with some minor changes to the button functions and not Netflix or VUDU button"
    SACD nice! Love my SACDs which I play on my Opponent 103 right now

The new OPPO UDP-203 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player was released on the market on December 12th 2016.

As most people are aware, OPPO Digital INC will always price lock the list price of all their Blu-ray players for the life of the player. This means a brand new OPPO UDP-203 will always cost $549 plus shipping even if they still have players in stock 3 years from now.
    Currently for the month of December 2016, OPPO Digital INC is limiting UDP-203 Blu-ray players to only one per customer when they do get them in stock. It is my understanding that in early 2017 both consumers and wholesale accounts will be able to order as many players as they want since the limit of 1 per customer restrictions will be removed.

The following are select quotes from OPPO Digital INC:

"The player will always be $549.00 when bought from any OPPO reseller."

"For wholesale or for multi-purchase orders, it will likely not be available until early-2017."

mw390 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Did they give different shipping options was was it simply UPS Ground? Or worse, FedEx Ground, which my 103D came.
    They gave 4 options. The cheapest was $17.00 up to 40 or so for UPS, USPS Priority etc. I was just notified by Fedex Ground a delivery date of December 21

Palmer is offline Administrator

Hey everyone...

If any of our Los Angeles readers snag one of these pre-order models and are open to giving me a tour/demo of it in person, please send me a PM. Cheers!

mw390 is offline Member

Just got UDP-203 delivered today. Firmware was on CD-R. One problem.....All I could do was power on machine, remote didn't work. Open/Close button on unit/remote did not work. Played with the 5 buttons on the right until I got a menu on the TV, tabbed over to setup and then I was able to eject disc drawer. Machine new right from power on it needed firmware update. I wonder if their website know this because the firmware instructions didn't mention it.

Interesting - the firmware is so incomplete that it can't even operate the remote? I would like to see other reports on that one.
    Did everything work afterwards?

mw390 is offline Member

[QUOTE=Krawk;2603915]Interesting - the firmware is so incomplete that it can't even operate the remote? I would like to see other reports on that one.
    Did everything work afterwards?[/QUOTE

Yes. Here's the messsage tech support sent me

You are supposed to have the player connected to a television so you can see the firmware upgrade warning. If you do not have the player connected to a television or are not able to see an image, then simply press the PLAY button on the front panel of the player so you see the HOME MENU on the front panel of the player then insert the CD and do the firmware upgrade.

I did have the television on and connected

Information about the OPPO UDP-205 and OPPO UDP-203

** As far as I am aware the following information is as accurate as possible according to my conversations with OPPO Digital INC, however some things can change with future firmware updates to the Blu-ray player, or information I receive can sometimes not be 100% accurate **

Over the last week or so, I had some email conversations with OPPO Digital INC. The new UDP-205 is now on OPPO Digitals website. The UDP-205 is scheduled to be released in early 2017 with an estimated suggested list price somewhere between $1199-$1299. However, the OPPO UDP-205 is only recommended for consumers that need a headphone jack or for consumers that need better quality digital to analog conversion. The sound quality of the UDP-203 and UDP-205 are exactly the same if one uses the digital audio outputs like HDMI (HDMI offers both PCM, and bitstreaming all lossless audio formats). The UDP-205 is ideal for consumers that need higher quality analog audio outputs.

The OPPO UDP-203 has 1GB of internal storage built in for BD-LIVE. On the old OPPO Blu-ray players like the BDP-103D, the maximum size hard drive using a USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure was 2TB in size if one wanted to use FAT32 which was required for BD-LIVE (The old OPPO BDP-103D would not support exFAT, and NTFS was read only). The new OPPO UDP-203 will accept hard drives up to 16TB in size using the superfast USB 3.0 hard drive enclosures. The new UDP-203 supports reading and writing of the following file systems: FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS. Also BD-LIVE will now work with up to 16TB size hard drives because according to OPPO Digital INC the UDP-203 supports NTFS for both reading and writing. In addition, exFAT can now be used for reading and writing. Therefore, consumers can now format their hard drives with either the better quality exFAT or NTFS file system and it will work with BD-LIVE up to 16TB. In the old days BD-LIVE would only work up to 2TB because FAT32 was required on prior OPPO models of Blu-ray players. Currently at the end of 2016 BD-LIVE is not used that much and only a few studios still use it for streaming movie trailers before the main Blu-ray disc menu begins. In the old days some studios offered more BD-LIVE downloads that required 4GB or more of storage space. For most consumers BD-LIVE will work fine with the 1GB of internal storage, and only a select few older Blu-ray titles need BD-LIVE storage above 1GB. Therefore many consumers will instead use up to a 16TB size hard drive formatted as NTFS or exFAT to view some of their personal family videos, audio files, etc. Also, keep in mind for best results when using an external hard drive with USB 3.0 enclosure it is highly recommended to choose a model with an external power supply. The OPPO UDP-203 supplies 5 volts 1000ma over USB which is perfectly fine for those consumers that choose to use USB 3.0 flash thumb drives.

If a consumer’s display supports it, the UDP-203 can scale down native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs to 480i, and it will scale up 480i DVD’s up to 4K Ultra HD resolution (not true 4K but simulated 4K since the native source is 480i). Also film based DVD’s will receive a reverse 3:2 pulldown and will be converted to 24Hz when the “DVD 24P Conversion” feature is turned on and when the output resolution is setup for 4K UHD or 1080P (see manual for more details). All brands of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players on the market will only play native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs at the full 3840 x 2160P resolution if the equipment offers secure HDCP 2.2 technology on the HDMI input chip. The displays HDMI input needs to be HDCP 2.2 and also the A/V receiver needs to be HDCP 2.2 in order to get 4K Ultra HD quality. OPPO Digital INC offers a work around for consumers that have an older A/V receiver, one can use the second HDMI output which only sends audio to the A/V receiver using standard HDMI/HDCP technology. Of course having a modern A/V receiver with HDCP 2.2 is ideal since then the A/V receiver can be used for HDMI switching. The good news is that native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs will play on any old display with improved HEVC bit rate quality compared to the lower bit rate standard 1080P Blu-ray disc. Displays without HDCP 2.2 will receive a maximum signal level of 1080P when watching native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. So native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs will be downscaled to the displays native resolution of 1080P, 1080i, 720P, 480P, or 480i. So far all 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players on the market will play audio CD's, DVD's, standard 2-D Blu-rays, 3-D Blu-rays, and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. The advantage of the OPPO UDP-203/UDP-205 is that its the only 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player on the market that will play legacy SACD and DVD-AUDIO optical discs.

There are some consumer native 4K Ultra HD projectors and native 1080P projectors that support HDR and in the future possible some lower cost 1080P HDR flat panel displays might be made. The new OPPO UDP-203 can support HDR10 at 1080P if the 1080P display can support HDR10. If the 4K Ultra HD display or 1080P display does not support HDR then the UDP-203 will remove HDR from native HDR source material. In addition, after HDR is removed downscaling all the way to 480i resolution is an option. The conversion can be done at 8-bit, 10-bit, and 12-bit and the color can be kept at REC2020 instead of converting to the HD standard of REC709. Also with a future promised firmware update the main HDMI output on the OPPO UDP-203 will become HDMI version 2.0b with full support for Dolby Vision HDR encoded 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. This first generation UDP-203 Blu-ray player second HDMI output only passes audio. When and if OPPO Digital INC makes a second generation 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player 3 years from now then maybe it might operate like the old BDP-103D that offered dual HDMI output for both video and audio (This feature on the old model is ideal for consumers that have both a projector and flat panel screen in the same room). The front USB port is only USB 2.0 (480Mbps) for some reason, (the two rear USB ports use USB 3.0 at 5Gbps). The UDP-203 is a much faster Blu-ray player with faster interface jacks like two USB 3.0 ports and a 1Gbps (1,000Mbps) Ethernet jack (The very first OPPO player to offer these new features). The Ethernet jack is ideal for consumers that have a wired 1Gbps network in their home. One can stream homemade family videos and audio files from an external server. Perhaps in the future if and when OPPO Digital INC releases a second generation 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player, maybe it will offer USB 3.1 (10Gbps) and 10Gbps networking. Most likely to keep costs low USB 3.1 and 10Gbps Ethernet networking was not used. In three years from now when those technologies are cheaper perhaps OPPO Digital INC will make a new player with those features. Some computer motherboards offer both 10Gbps networking speed and/or USB 3.1 10Gbps jacks. A wired CAT7A/CAT6A 10Gbps or 1Gbps home network is always faster, more reliable, and more secure when compared to wireless (CAT8 in the future might offer 40Gbps over copper cable for those that do not want to use 100Gbps fiber). However, wireless is becoming so popular that OPPO Digital INC for the very first time placed a built in wireless module directly inside the UDP-203 and UDP-205. The old BDP-103D had the wireless module as an external feature.

The UDP-203 and UDP-205 might never offer any 4K streaming or standard streaming services

The new OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 remote control does not have a dedicated “VUDU” or “Netflix” button which is evidence that they might never offer those streaming services. Of course, a dedicated button is not needed for streaming services. However OPPO Digital INC informed me that there is no guarantee that any streaming services will every be added to the UDP-203. This is a problem for everyone that owns 4K Ultra HD projectors, 1080P projectors, and people that have displays with no streaming services built in. Personally I do not care about streaming services, however I know family members that do. So for consumers that need the OPPO UDP-203/UDP-205 for SACD and DVD-Audio playback then they need to also purchase the top of the line Roku Ultra 4K HDR streaming box for $129.99. Therefore, once one adds the cost of the OPPO UDP-203 at $549 and the cost of the Roku Ultra for $129.99 then the total cost is $678.99. If a consumer needs 4K streaming services and standard HD streaming services and they do not need SACD and DVD-Audio support then I highly recommend one purchase another 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player like Panasonic, Philips, or Samsung. The OPPO UDP-203 is the only 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player on the market that does not offer any streaming services, and there is no guarantee that a future firmware update will add streaming. When it comes to streaming features OPPO Blu-ray players have never been strong in that area (mainly only offering the most popular services like VUDU and Netflix). Consumers do not even have a free 4K YouTube APP in the new UDP-203 and they might never have one. Maybe in 6 months OPPO Digital INC might surprise consumers with a firmware update with some streaming support, however according to OPPO Digital INC there is no guarantee. With every other manufactory on the market offering 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players with streaming services, OPPO Digital INC might be forced to make some streaming agreements in the future. At the very minimum consumers want 4K Ultra HD streaming support from Netflix, VUDU, and YouTube. What would be ideal is if OPPO Digital INC made an exclusive business agreement with Kaleidescape. Kaleidescape offers perfect bit for bit 4K Ultra HDR Blu-ray image downloads with lossless audio. Since it’s a download and not streaming the service works with any Internet speed (faster Internet speeds offer faster downloads). The OPPO UDP-203 has 1Gbps networking speed which would be ideal for consumers that currently have 10Gbps or 1Gbps residential Internet service. In addition, the OPPO UDP-203 fast USB 3.0 ports can be used for consumers to plug in two 16TB hard drives for a total storage space of 32TB available. For those consumers that do not need that much storage space for movies a low cost 10TB hard drive can be purchased for around $400. We just need OPPO Digital INC and Kaleidescape to work together to create a software app on the UDP-203 and UDP-205 so consumers can purchase and download Blu-ray images (maybe one day Kaleidescape can also offer Blu-ray rentals for download for consumers that do not want to visit their local RED BOX).

The following are select word for word quotes from OPPO Digital INC

“The difference is the UDP-205 can be used as an external DAC using digital coaxial, optical, and Asynchronous USB inputs, the digital to analog conversion is done at a higher degree, and the player will have a headphone amplifier. So if you are connected to an older amplifier or pre-amplifier that only has analog outputs, then the UDP-205 is the best solution.”

“The UDP-203 is already released for $549, and the UDP-205 will be out sometime early-2017 for around $1199 and $1299.”

“NTFS should work with BD-Live contents with the new player, but if we find that write access is causing issues, then we will go back to requiring FAT harddrives or thumbdrives.”

“The player uses 1GB of internal storage for BD-LIVE and other storage considerations.”

“The drive can be formatted as NTFS and exFAT with the new player.”

“The player will support drives up to 16TB in size.”

“The player can support HDR10 at 1080p if the displays can support it. Otherwise, the player can remove the HDR and downscale 4Kx2K to 1080p. You can do the conversion at 8-bit, 10-bit and 12-bit, and even keep the color at REC2020 instead of converting to the HD standard of REC709.”

“The player can scale all the way down to 480i and upscale all the way to 4Kx2K from all contents.”

“These players are shipping with no streaming service support and we will not be able to guarantee that any streaming services will be added to the player through a future firmware release.”
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-23-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast