scohen is online now Staff

Default Sony Reveals ES Series UBP-X1000E 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

The upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray player will be offered exclusively to the custom installer market.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ing-2017/35038
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

reidw is offline Member

Default Bye Sony

Quote Originally Posted by scohen View Post
    The upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray player will be offered exclusively to the custom installer market.
    I held off on getting an Ultra HD Bluray player because of the information that Sony would be releasing one in early 2017. Now this disappointing announcement that their first UHD player will be available to the custom installer market only. It seems that Sony is trying to position themselves as the suppliers of products to the 1%'ers and are not interested any more in reaching the average home consumer. OK, that's fine with me. I guess I'll be getting the Samsung, Philips or Panasonic model instead. Their gain is Sony's loss.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

I too am disappointed by Sony's lack of support for the UHD Disc market. Their gaming division and the decision to omit the drive and make the new PS4 streaming only, which only works for the top 2% out there, then releasing a physical player but once again limiting it to less than 1% of the market. Do they need help reading their slide rules? Do they need a new business manager? Should any serious UHD tv buyer NOT consider Sony when deciding what to buy?
    The unit looks like a solid unit, too bad anyone that wants to buy it would have to jump through too many hoops to get one.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

bruceames is online now Member

The Oppo is only $499 and is coming out by the end of the year. That will probably be the better player anyway and at perhaps half the price.

ashird97 is offline Member

Although highly unlikely, I can't help but think this is a calculated ruse; what better way to gauge the climate than to release something that will obviously piss off the bulk of its consumer base? It wouldn't surprised me, if down the line, they release the exact same player sans the CI features; pretending to give into consumer demand knowing all along that was the plan anyway. Like I said, maybe not that devious, but that's how I feel.

dianebrat is online now Member

I think it's pretty clear between this and the PS4 Pro not having a 4K drive that Sony has decided not to support the 4K UHD BD market, they feel the market is going to be streaming only and they're happy to helpp push towards that goal.

cupboy is offline Member

On one of the youtube videos the Sony rep says you can buy one and install it yourself. And there is a rack mount adapter available for it. Oppo for $499? Seems a bit cheap. I wonder what will be missing.

My rack-mounted 103 cost that same price.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    . Oppo for $499? Seems a bit cheap. I wonder what will be missing.
    It's all existing technology, much of which has been around for quite some time. Other companies are ripping us off IMO.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Palmer is offline Administrator

HDD's Brian Hoss was at CEDIA 2016 and put together a Hands On First Look at the Sony UBP-X1000E 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...y-player/35387