Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    jabba359 is offline Member

Default Xbox One S - plays Ultra HD Blu-rays

The newly announced Xbox One S will support UHD Blu-ray playback. With a starting price of $299 (500GB version), it sets a new lowest cost entry point for UHD BR players. It will also support 4K Netflix and Amazon video.

The 1TB version will cost $350 and the 2TB version will be $399. They expect to release the highest cost version first in August.
    UHD - 5
    Latest Purchase: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (UHD/3D)
    Latest Purchase: Slither
    DVD - 275 or so and shrinking
    Latest purchase: Mystery Science Theater 3000 25th Anniversary Edition
    LG OLED65E6P
    Toshiba HD-A30
    Philips BDP7501
    My Video Collection

NJScorpio is offline Member

I've been planning on picking up a PS4 for their VR setup coming out Christmas, but I'm already an Xbox One owner. I like this idea, even if the VR gear is a few hundred on top of the cost of the Xbox One S.

Yeah, I'm not a gamer at all but at $100 less than the currently cheapest UHD BR player, this is a no-brainer. Not only is it cheaper, but also offers many advantages over a standalone UHD Blu-ray player (built in hard drive, can play games, etc.). If anything, I'd wager that this helps drive down prices of standalone UHD players. I likely won't buy a UHD BR player until next year, but hopefully this helps get them down to near the $200 mark.

Just as the PS3 pushed Blu-ray into the mainstream, I wonder if this Xbox (and the upcoming UHD enabled PS4 refresh) will help push UHD Blu-ray into more homes?

Quote Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
    I've been planning on picking up a PS4 for their VR setup coming out Christmas, but I'm already an Xbox One owner. I like this idea, even if the VR gear is a few hundred on top of the cost of the Xbox One S.
    I wonder if the One S will support VR? Microsoft also announced a much more powerful system (code named Project Scorpio) that will allow 4K gaming and VR. That won't be out until late 2017 though.
    UHD - 5
    LG OLED65E6P
    Toshiba HD-A30
    Philips BDP7501
    My Video Collection

NJScorpio is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post

Just as the PS3 pushed Blu-ray into the mainstream, I wonder if this Xbox (and the upcoming UHD enabled PS4 refresh) will help push UHD Blu-ray into more homes?

I wonder if the One S will support VR? Microsoft also announced a much more powerful system (code named Project Scorpio) that will allow 4K gaming and VR. That won't be out until late 2017 though.
    Ah, I thought that they were one in the same. It doesn't seem like the best idea to release TWO upgrades to the Xbox One, one with the 4k playback, one with 4k playback + VR. If the more powerful, VR capable console comes bundled with the needed gear, AND is at least as responsive as Sony's offering, then I'll pick that up. As of now, upgrading just for 4k playback is not worth it to me as I don't have a 4k capable display. Sure, they are cheap enough now, but I'm saving that jump for when I upgrade my 1080p 3D projector.

EDIT: Also, is the VR with this Scorpion project different than their HoloLens? I hope so...I mean, sure, HoloLens looks cool, but it doesn't seem like it lends itself to sharing titles with other VR projects out there. I hope Scorpion is a more "typical" VR approach. I'd hate to see Microsoft go the way of Sega, with too much hardware, and not enough software.

Quote Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
    Ah, I thought that they were one in the same. It doesn't seem like the best idea to release TWO upgrades to the Xbox One, one with the 4k playback, one with 4k playback + VR. If the more powerful, VR capable console comes bundled with the needed gear, AND is at least as responsive as Sony's offering, then I'll pick that up. As of now, upgrading just for 4k playback is not worth it to me as I don't have a 4k capable display. Sure, they are cheap enough now, but I'm saving that jump for when I upgrade my 1080p 3D projector.

EDIT: Also, is the VR with this Scorpion project different than their HoloLens? I hope so...I mean, sure, HoloLens looks cool, but it doesn't seem like it lends itself to sharing titles with other VR projects out there. I hope Scorpion is a more "typical" VR approach. I'd hate to see Microsoft go the way of Sega, with too much hardware, and not enough software.
    Yeah, two totally different systems, though games will be compatible across the board (Xbox One, One S, and "Scorpio"). The S is a minor upgrade from the regular One, with the price remaining the same but giving us 4k playback options, including UHD Blu-ray. Games will still be limited to 1080p or whatever the current One does. In the context of this subforum (UHD playback), I thought it offered an interesting feature set for a price point well below the other offerings. If I was going to buy a UHD Blu-ray player in the next few months, this would certainly be a top consideration as it's hard to ignore the $100 price advantage and expanded capabilities vs. the other standalone players.

"Scorpio", on the other hand, sounds like a major console revision. Probably all new hardware designed to handle 4K gaming as well as VR. They haven't released details on the VR side, but it sounds like it will be compatible with the Oculus Rift (possibly others), as Microsoft says they will not be developing their own proprietary VR set. I'd assume that the Scorpio will be a substantial price increase over the current system.
    UHD - 5
    LG OLED65E6P
    Toshiba HD-A30
    Philips BDP7501
    My Video Collection

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

This is huge news and will certainly force Sony to either show their cards or rethink their "Neo" system.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

malakai is offline Member

It seems like a very iffy upgrade, basically the same thing as the 360 HD-DVD add-on, just that it's an internal one, since its focus is 100% on 4k video playback and not 4k gaming. Before anyone says anything, I know the power supply will be internal, the case will be 40% smaller, and the controller has been redesigned slightly, with extra range and bluetooth added, but those things aren't generally important to me. I have yet to find more than a couple XBONE games that I'd be interested in, and I'd go for the budget version, which wouldn't be out until after Christmas. So, for me personally, it's all going to depend on the price of other UHD-BR players and whatever Sony is going to do.

cardpetree is offline Member

Anybody know if this new Xbox is going to have the ability to bitstream something other than Dolby Digital?
    - cardpetree
    - cardpetree

I Love It All!

Louisville Cardinals Basketball 2013 National Champions!

dianebrat is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
    Anybody know if this new Xbox is going to have the ability to bitstream something other than Dolby Digital?
    While there's a lack of concrete data from MS on it, the UHD spec says players must send the bitstream output for advanced audio formats so the going answer is "yes it will stream ATMOS and probably DTS:X"

cardpetree is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    While there's a lack of concrete data from MS on it, the UHD spec says players must send the bitstream output for advanced audio formats so the going answer is "yes it will stream ATMOS and probably DTS:X"
    Sounds good. I'm also assuming that it will still support 3D?
    - cardpetree
    - cardpetree

I Love It All!

Louisville Cardinals Basketball 2013 National Champions!

Brian Hoss is offline HDD Editor

We've got an article detailing the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback of the Xbox One S:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...eds-help/33836

As I wrote about in July, Atmos, DTS:X, and direct bitstreaming are not currently supported.

And here's the full review of the 2TB Xbox One S:

http://games.highdefdigest.com/34807...b_console.html

cupboy is online now Member

Although I don't know what's meant by bitstreaming, does it handle TrueHD and dts HD MA? Will I get the same audio quality as I get with any other player, like the Samsung? And what is the country of origin?

Brian Hoss is offline HDD Editor

Yes, it can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA. These formats are decoded internally and sent to the AVR as multichannel PCM. Other players do this, but they can also send the formats directly to the AVR to be unpacked there, which is necessary for Atmos & DTS:X.

The 2TB loaner unit has "Made in China" printing on it.

gravis778 is offline Member

I am shocked to hear it supports 50Hz. I hope Sony is paying attention! Sony not supporting 25/50Hz keeps me from having one of their players in my home theater (well, I do have a PS3, but its not used for Blu-Rays)

cupboy is online now Member

This is selling out quick at Target. The store nearest me is already out, but there's another store about 15 miles away that supposedly has 4 left (although it is lunch time right now, so they could be gone already). 5% off with the red card. Hmmm.

I could get 10% off at Best Buy but I dislike their 15 day return policy. At Target with the red card I'd get 2 months.

update: They were able to locate two of the four in the back room, so I got one.
    Last edited by cupboy; 08-02-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast