Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    This is bullshit.

The average consumer will upgrade to 4K but not the audio components.

Walk into Best Buy and ask every customer that comes in about Atmos. They won't know what you are talking about.
    The average consumer is still running dvd, regardless of picture size for crying out loud. If they buy a "4K" tv it is out of chance and even more chance it does NOT have HDR. An XBOX One S is not going to change their movie buying habits.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    The average consumer is still running dvd, regardless of picture size for crying out loud. If they buy a "4K" tv it is out of chance and even more chance it does NOT have HDR. An XBOX One S is not going to change their movie buying habits.
    So my statement is still correct

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    So my statement is still correct
    Not exactly.
    Anyone that remotely gives two shits about actually buying into 4k is also going to buy into Atmos.
    Anyone else that gets 4K it is purely by chance because they simply bought a new tv.

Looks like the drive is a Philips.. made by LiteOn.
    When I have not been running Pioneer drives in my computer life it's been Plextors or Liteons.

dianebrat is online now Member

Not exactly.
    Anyone that remotely gives two shits about actually buying into 4k is also going to buy into Atmos.
    Anyone else that gets 4K it is purely by chance because they simply bought a new tv.
    Exactly, the selling point for UHD discs is the advanced features they offer over BD's and object oriented sound is big in that discussion. Joe and Jane 6-pack will still watch SD on their 4K set, but those who are truly early adopters won't buy in, I know MS lost a sale from me on this.

joey0480 is offline Member

I would have felt a lot better if Microsoft would have put on the box or in the manual that it has bitstream support with a firmware update............just like Pioneer did with their receivers stating that "DTS-X with firware update"

Right now you just need to hope they make the change
    Samsung JS9000
    Pioneer SC-95 Receiver
    Energy RC-70 Front Speakers, RC-LCR center, C-R100 Rear/Side Dipole Speakers, Energy RC-500 rear speakers
    Velodyne DLS-4000R 12 inch subwoofer
    MS Tag JohnMatrix Lied
    PSN Joey0480

NJScorpio is offline Member

This is because of the naming of the technology.

First...am I wrong that there is a competing audio format other than Atmos?

People can understand, enough, 4k because they know their HD tv is "1,000 - something". 4k SOUNDS bigger than HD, or 1080p.

People also know 5.1 for surround sound, they may not even know their Blu-Ray discs have 7.1 audio tracks! If Atmos was called something like "10.2" or whatever, to indicate that is was a step better, it may sell more.

It is similar to how the Playstation 4 is clearly a generation better than the Playstaiton 3, but the Xbox One failed to excite people after the Xbox 360, and Nintendo's landscape of devices has gotten more "fluid".

dianebrat is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
    First...am I wrong that there is a competing audio format other than Atmos?
    DTS:X is the competition, but it's not got nearly as much backing, Atmos has almost a year head start and a lot of the entry level AVRs are only doing Atmos and not supporting DTS:X.

For me the lack of proper bitstreaming is just insulting from MS since there's no technical reason not to other than they don't want to spend the time doing it, the PS3 did proper bitstreaming, almost every BD player does proper bitstreaming, heck the fact that the UHD BD spec calls for bitstreaming and MS has chosen to ignore that aspect just shows that they don't care. I had really hoped they were going to take the opportunity of adding 4K disc playback to fix the bitstream issue and I'm glad they're being called out on it.

Valad is offline Member

The reason they're not doing bitstreaming is because of the way the OS remixes the audio to allow for snapping. Yes, it's a rubbish reason and I'd gladly tick a box to say "I'm happy that I won't be able to snap apps while using the Blu-ray application" but it's the current reason why.
    HD DVD: 33 (Latest: The Thing)
    Blu-ray: 497 (Latest: The Devil's Double)
    3D Blu-ray: 95 (Latest: The LEGO Batman Movie)
    4K Ultra HD: 11 (Latest: Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them)

Palmer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Valad View Post
    The reason they're not doing bitstreaming is because of the way the OS remixes the audio to allow for snapping. Yes, it's a rubbish reason and I'd gladly tick a box to say "I'm happy that I won't be able to snap apps while using the Blu-ray application" but it's the current reason why.
    Thanks for the info, Valad!

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

I am not into videogames since my free time is spent watching movies, however I would buy the new XBOX One S instead since it offers native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray support for $399.

Sony is moving toward streaming of movies since they know that in the long term physical optical media will most likely disappear. The original PS1 played audio CDís, the PS2 played 480i DVDís, PS3 played 1080P Blu-rays, and it would have been ideal if the new PS4 would have played 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.

At least Microsoft with the new XBOX supports the new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format, it would be nice if Microsoft would come out with BD-ROM drives for desktop and Laptop computers that would support 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. People with desktop and laptop computers have no way to play 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs since the software and optical drives do not exist yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post

People with desktop and laptop computers have no way to play 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs since the software and optical drives do not exist yet.
    Cyberlink Systems has licensed UHD technology so give them time to produce the software. One would expect an announcement relatively soon. There are also 3 PC drive makers with licenses as well.

Valad is offline Member

I bought an Xbox One S a couple of days ago. I stuck in Kingsman UHD and I'm experiencing all the issues mentioned in this article on my Sony KD-55XD9305.

cupboy is offline Member

It says in the article that there is a fix for it. Plug the player into the internet and it should update.

Valad is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    It says in the article that there is a fix for it. Plug the player into the internet and it should update.
    Unfortunately it's just the way the article is written. What it's trying to say is that the issue is software side so it should be fixable by a patch. But there isn't one yet.

The Netflix issue has been there since the first Xbox One S's were used by the press and it's still not fixed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast