Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Palmer is offline HDD Contributer

Was really hoping to buy one of these since I'm a generation behind on gaming, and the price is spot on, but without Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, this is sadly a non-starter for me. [sad emoticon]

cupboy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
    I am shocked to hear it supports 50Hz. I hope Sony is paying attention! Sony not supporting 25/50Hz keeps me from having one of their players in my home theater (well, I do have a PS3, but its not used for Blu-Rays)
    What benefits does 50Hz offer?

Favelle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Was really hoping to buy one of these since I'm a generation behind on gaming, and the price is spot on, but without Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, this is sadly a non-starter for me. [sad emoticon]
    No Atmos or DTS:X? What's the point then?
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Gaming LOL!!!!

The average consumer doesn't if know about Atmos or DTS:X

joey0480 is offline Member

Picked up one today but it may be going back. No atmos is a no go for me. Might as well pick up the samsung player for 300 now and stick with my older xbox one.

I have heard rumors of an update for bitstream, but no clue how much those can be trusted....
    Samsung JS9000
    Pioneer SC-95 Receiver
    Energy RC-70 Front Speakers, RC-LCR center, C-R100 Rear/Side Dipole Speakers, Energy RC-500 rear speakers
    Velodyne DLS-4000R 12 inch subwoofer
    MS Tag JohnMatrix Lied
    PSN Joey0480

cupboy is offline Member

chat with xbox support 201 people in line ... it would probably be about 201 less if an operation manual came with the unit.

Please wait

Your current position in line is: 215

Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    95% (probably more) of homes have neither an Atmos or DTS:X set up. That's probably the point.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    95% (probably more) of homes have neither an Atmos or DTS:X set up. That's probably the point.
    With the new video format, you're obviously buying a new tv so there's a HUGE chance you will update your audio as well. Chicken and egg, cart and horse. Why would I have an Atmos receiver if no software to play? I have all this software but no capable receiver, must remedy soon!!

IMO, and this even goes back to older consoles, I have never even considered using a gaming console for movie playback. The extra wear and tear isn't worth it.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

cupboy is offline Member

I'm not too worried about the wear and tear since I'll rarely play any games with it. I'm playing GhostBusters II right now. Seems to look better than the Blu-ray but could just be my imagination of course. What differences should I see on a 1080p device?

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    I'm not too worried about the wear and tear since I'll rarely play any games with it. I'm playing GhostBusters II right now. Seems to look better than the Blu-ray but could just be my imagination of course. What differences should I see on a 1080p device?
    If you are playing a 4K disc on a 1080p device, you won't see anything. You need a 4K capable television to see anything.
    Samsung JS9000
    Pioneer SC-95 Receiver
    Energy RC-70 Front Speakers, RC-LCR center, C-R100 Rear/Side Dipole Speakers, Energy RC-500 rear speakers
    MS Tag JohnMatrix Lied
    PSN Joey0480

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    With the new video format, you're obviously buying a new tv so there's a HUGE chance you will update your audio as well. Chicken and egg, cart and horse. Why would I have an Atmos receiver if no software to play? I have all this software but no capable receiver, must remedy soon!!

IMO, and this even goes back to older consoles, I have never even considered using a gaming console for movie playback. The extra wear and tear isn't worth it.
    You hit the nail on the head. Most folks that are buying into 4K right now are upgrading their sound systems as well. Why release something that is missing the key audio components...
    Samsung JS9000
    Pioneer SC-95 Receiver
    MS Tag JohnMatrix Lied
    PSN Joey0480

Quote Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. Most folks that are buying into 4K right now are upgrading their sound systems as well. Why release something that is missing the key audio components...
    This is bullshit.

The average consumer will upgrade to 4K but not the audio components.

Walk into Best Buy and ask every customer that comes in about Atmos. They won't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    This is bullshit.

The average consumer will upgrade to 4K but not the audio components.

Walk into Best Buy and ask every customer that comes in about Atmos. They won't know what you are talking about.
    Well I have not conducted a survey so I can't back up my point, but Atmos has been made a bit more mainstream that I think some folks are more aware of it. Maybe you have something more concrete on your end.......but I doubt EVERY customer has no clue about it. But hey, we are talking about Best Buy here right.

There has been enough rumblings over the past two days regarding the lack of bitstreaming on the unit. Most reviews address and anyone that takes the time to read it will see that it is lacking that key component. Time will decide if the unit gets an update or not....because it isn't a hardware issue.
    Samsung JS9000
    Pioneer SC-95 Receiver
    MS Tag JohnMatrix Lied
    PSN Joey0480

Quote Originally Posted by joey0480 View Post
    Well I have not conducted a survey so I can't back up my point, but Atmos has been made a bit more mainstream that I think some folks are more aware of it. Maybe you have something more concrete on your end.......but I doubt EVERY customer has no clue about it. But hey, we are talking about Best Buy here right.

There has been enough rumblings over the past two days regarding the lack of bitstreaming on the unit. Most reviews address and anyone that takes the time to read it will see that it is lacking that key component. Time will decide if the unit gets an update or not....because it isn't a hardware issue.
    I just think adoption rate is much slower than you think regarding audio. Video is a diff story, people see it, it's easy to go in and buy a 4K tv, etc.

Also, most consumers don't want nor h ave a 7.2 setup(or the like). They want a soundbar(maybe external sub) and they are good.

Palmer is offline HDD Contributer

While I respectfully disagree with the notion that it's silly for the One S to include Atmos & DTS:X audio bitstreaming -- it's a device advertising itself as a media hub -- Boston is correct that the general public is happy with either TV audio or a sound bar. This is just a personal anecdote, and therefor not a conclusive data set, but out of all my friends and family that I see regularly, only one has surround sound... and that system was a hand-me-down from me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast