scohen is online now Staff

Default Philips Readies Ultra HD Blu-ray Player for June Release, MSRP Set for $400

The BDP7501 will be the second Ultra HD Blu-ray player to hit the US market.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-for-400/32100
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

cupboy is online now Member

Certainly appears to be more attractive than the Samsung that I saw over at Best Buy.... which is not attractive at all.

I'd rather hold out for the Panasonic... or perhaps Oppo.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Loved Philips in the dvd market, not so much in regular BD market. Have to wonder how they're doing on UHD?
    Surprised Panasonic is waiting - they're out in the UK and Australia now.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Loved Philips in the dvd market, not so much in regular BD market. Have to wonder how they're doing on UHD?
    Philips sold the North American rights to its brand name to Funai back in 2008. Any "Philips" consumer electronics product sold in North America now is really a rebadged Funai item. That may be why you don't like them as much.

Philips was supposed to sell the rest of its international CE business to Funai in 2013, but terminated the deal due to an alleged breach of contract. However, as far as I'm aware, this does not affect the arrangement already in place in the North American market.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Philips sold the North American rights to its brand name to Funai back in 2008. Any "Philips" consumer electronics product sold in North America now is really a rebadged Funai item. That may be why you don't like them as much.

Philips was supposed to sell the rest of its international CE business to Funai in 2013, but terminated the deal due to an alleged breach of contract. However, as far as I'm aware, this does not affect the arrangement already in place in the North American market.
    I think I had a cheap Funai VHS player way back. PIECE OF JUNK to say the least

Palmer is offline HDD Contributer

And, if I'm not mistaken, aren't Philips speaker products a completely different company from the Funai arrangement? (Something along the lines of the last vestiges of the original Philips?) I can't keep it straight anymore.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Funai - Emerson - Maggotbox - Yup, that explains it.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    And, if I'm not mistaken, aren't Philips speaker products a completely different company from the Funai arrangement? (Something along the lines of the last vestiges of the original Philips?) I can't keep it straight anymore.
    It's possible. Philips lightbulbs are still the original Philips, as far as I'm aware.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Phillips is now licensed and managed in North America by P&F USA for Blu-ray players, TVs and certain home theater products

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    Phillips is now licensed and managed in North America by P&F USA for Blu-ray players, TVs and certain home theater products
    From their LinkedIn page:

"P&F USA, Inc. located at Alpharetta, GA is a subsidiary of Funai Electric Co., LTD and is the exclusive licensee for Philips consumer televisions and home video products in North America. Funai Electric Co., Ltd., established in 1961, is headquartered in Osaka, Japan and is listed in the Tokyo Securities Exchange First Section (6839). In addition to the consumer electronic product brands sold by Funai Corporation and the products sold by other Funai sales and marketing companies in Asia, Europe, and South America, Funai Electric Company, Ltd. is a major original equipment manufacturer (OEM) supplier for appliance, consumer electronics, computer, and computer peripheral companies at a global level."
    Josh Z

scohen is online now Staff

The player will include a copy of 'Creed' on Ultra HD Blu-ray through September 30.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-for-400/32818
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

dianebrat is offline Member

Gave up on the XB1S since it won't do Atmos, there's a Philips on the way from Amazon for Sunday.

dianebrat is offline Member

So far it's not sucked, I got it from Amazon this morning and both Mad Max Fury Road and Kingsman look good and the unit has pretty nice response, HDR and deep color passing through my Yamaha RX-A1050 with no hiccups

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    So far it's not sucked, I got it from Amazon this morning and both Mad Max Fury Road and Kingsman look good and the unit has pretty nice response, HDR and deep color passing through my Yamaha RX-A1050 with no hiccups
    This is good to know. I just ordered one, but only because it's a few dollars less than the Samsung and it includes "Creed." I haven't seen Creed yet, but I figured a free movies is better than nothing.
    Supporter. Current Toys: Vizio M65D0, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Phillips BDP7501.
    Console List:
    PS4,ONE,Gamecube, N64, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn,PSTv,Vita,3DS, Retron 5
    Lifetime member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart
    2017 Completed List:http://forums.highdefdigest.com/game...inish-481.html
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

solarrdadd is offline Member

Default it's better than you might expect!

I actually picked up one of these for black Friday, got it for $179.99 my intent was to primarily have it to be able to listen to ATMOS/DTS:X tracks that were exclusive to UHD movies. I don't have a 4K tv yet and am not sure when I will. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on one of these players as I was really holding out for Oppo to release a player so I figured this low cost player would ultimately find it's resting place in the bedroom after Oppo's release.

I found the player very well built, it has more weight than anticipated. it took only a few minutes to set it up and I was watching & listening to UHD movies. I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the movies looked on my 55" 1080p HDTV it does a solid job bitstreaming audio to my Marantz unit(s) with no hiccups whatsoever on either the video or the audio side.

thus far, the player has played every single UHD & 1080p blu I've thrown at it. it has never faltered or had to be reset/unplugged because of crashing or freezing. it never gets hot either. I loads movies faster than I would have thought it would considering this isn't one of the bigger names in players never mind UHD players.

I also like the fact that I can easily move it from HT to Bedroom and watch/listen to UHD movies at either location. oh and I also don't mind it only having 2 apps on it. I don't use them, I have this player purely to get audio from UHD releases to my systems.

the player did receive it's first update about a week ago, have no idea what it was for either, no way to find out, but, that went without incident and the player still continues to work like crazy. I won't lie, I have unplugged my 105D and kept this player connected, mostly because I get to enjoy the ATMOS/DTS:X on UHD discs and I can't with my 105D.

I'm sure within the first quarter of 2017 I will get the new oppo for my HT and this player will find it's home in the bedroom. I am also sure, I will enjoy both players. this player is a sleeper hit. I think it's not getting love because it's not one of the "big boys" and because of it's form factor too.

I can easily recommend this to folks who want a cost effective secondary player for a bedroom or for those who don't want to spend a lot of money for a primary player for their HT. I think this is the little train that could.

don't be afraid to give it a chance. just think, for those of us that are really budget conscious, you could get 2 of these players for about the price of one of the big boy brands.

Uncle Solarrdadd Approved!
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-55A2000 1080P
    PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
    iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
    Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
    ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!