Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,021

    Default Where are the HDR tvs?

    So it's May, meaning that for the most part the new model tvs are at the stores.

    Looking at this week's Best Buy ad pretty much every 4K tv in there with the exception one 1 are regular 4K, no HDR. The one tv I am referring to says 4K tv "with high dynamic range."

    Many Walmarts and Targets across the country also have the new models on display as well. No a single box says HDR, High Dynamic Range or even Ultra Premium Certified.

    What this means up and coming? Well, stores are pushing these tvs to uneducated consumers who will in turn buy them. These same consumers that are hungry for content, some may buy disc players, some will buy Roku 4's.
    One thing is certain, nothing good will come out of this. Will a consumer that *just* bought their new 4K tv really benefit from either of those avenues? Will they buy yet another tv to take advantage of the HDR aspect of UHD BD. I say No and No. With what is now known about the available options, why are the tv manufacturers selling essentially the same tvs as they were last year?

    4K tvs as it was meant to be seen.
    Best Buy - FAIL
    Walmart - FAIL
    Target - FAIL
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  2. #2
    CineAlta is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    6

    Default

    If you are curious Best Buy has an LG tv(55inch) with high dynamic range called the UH7700. It definitely has high dynamic range along with a 120Hz panel or Trumotion 240Hz so you get high quality motion with it. There is also a Sony tv,XBR-55X850D, (55inch) with high dynamic range but is $100 more.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,670

    Default

    Quite a few of the 2016 models have HDR now.

    Vizio - The P and M series both have HDR for 2016
    Samsung - Most of the 2016 models feature HDR
    Sony - Most 2016 have HDR

    I suspect it has more to do with the advertising and trying to clear out the older models.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  4. #4
    Palmer is offline HDD Contributer
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Yo, Krawk.

    I personally think Corrupted has the right idea. Aside from VIZIO and one LG model, most 2016 HDR displays are announced but not yet out, so there's a whole lot of 2014-2015 gear that needs to be sold to make room for future releases. Along those lines, a lot more 2015 displays did not offer HDR when compared to 2016 product lines. I personally would not purchase any 2015 model because none support both Dolby Vision and HDR10.

    Further, most HDR capable displays are still premium products which means A) they are less likely to already be available at discount type stores (walmart & target) and when they do arrive B) less likely to be on sale (and thus included in an advertisement which for the most part is about sales). In a similar sense, I don't think we're going to see many HDR TVs ridiculously on sale for Black Friday, because for the most part Black Friday Sale gear is 1-2 model generations old.

    Also, can you move this thread over to Ultra HD hardware or Home Theatre Gear?

    Cheers.

  5. #5
    dianebrat is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default

    BestBuy has plenty of LG HDR units on sale in most stores, they just don't seem to advertise the fact which is shame, on the other hand I don't feel HDR is the be all and end all of 4K quality at this point in time.

  6. #6
    dianebrat is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default

    In fact this week's Bestbuy ad prominently lists the TVs that have HDR and displays that fact.

  7. #7
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,550

    Default

    I'm just waiting for OLEDs to come down
    I want a 4K OLED, great if it has 3D if not no biggie, and maybe Dolby Vision(?)

  8. #8
    dianebrat is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I jumped when the LG 55EF9500 was at $2500 and a lot of folks at the same time jumped at the 65" for $3500.
    You're not going to see significant price drops from there for a long time, from list prices sure, but those prices made it doable, they've got HDR but not DV, but Netflix has already said their DV shows will also be downward compatible with HDR only sets.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I'm just waiting for OLEDs to come down
    I want a 4K OLED, great if it has 3D if not no biggie, and maybe Dolby Vision(?)
    I don't think you are going to see OLED prices come down any time soon.

    The current P series from Vizio includes Dolby Vision out of the box. HDR10 is being added in the next 45 days or so via firmware update.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  10. #10
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    In fact this week's Bestbuy ad prominently lists the TVs that have HDR and displays that fact.
    Yep, saw a couple more anyway this week than when I posted this thread.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  11. #11
    malakai's Avatar
    malakai is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Krawk, I think it would be a good idea to provide a sticky'd thread with a frequently updated list of all of the HDR tvs available. I'm hoping to actually buy an HDR UHD tv by the holiday season this year but have found it difficult to just do a search on store websites, because when you add 'HDR' to the search box, mostly non-hdr televisions are shown. So, you end up going through the descriptions, to see if there is any sign of these specific models being HDR, and it takes a lot longer than needed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Portland,Maine
    Posts
    22,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    Krawk, I think it would be a good idea to provide a sticky'd thread with a frequently updated list of all of the HDR tvs available. I'm hoping to actually buy an HDR UHD tv by the holiday season this year but have found it difficult to just do a search on store websites, because when you add 'HDR' to the search box, mostly non-hdr televisions are shown. So, you end up going through the descriptions, to see if there is any sign of these specific models being HDR, and it takes a lot longer than needed.
    You would also need to take into account the fact that there are two separate forms of HDR out there and not all tv's support both.
    HDR10 which is open source and Dolby Vision which needs the Dolby SOC to decode.
    Samsung and Sony are supporting HDR10 at the moment with no plans to support Dolby Vision.

    LG and Vizio are supporting Dolby Vision (with the Dolby chip inside the TV) and also support (or in the case of Vizion, will be adding support shortly) for HDR10.

    Between the 2, DV is superior because it offers 12bit color vs HDR 10's 10 bit (hence the name). HDR 10 is supposed to be updating it's code though to support some of the features that DV does (not the 12bit color though).

    If you can get a TV that has both...right now it's the best of both worlds. I suspect that even though HDR 10 is "inferior" it will be the winner since it is open source.
    Even Sponsored by Crony Mule admits:
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Uncharted peaked with 2 and each one just gets worse.

    I'll say this...I actually finished 3, I couldn't bring myself to finish 4. It was so boring.

  13. #13
    Lee Stewart's Avatar
    Lee Stewart is online now Formerly "HDTV Addict"
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    You would also need to take into account the fact that there are two separate forms of HDR out there and not all tv's support both.
    HDR10 which is open source and Dolby Vision which needs the Dolby SOC to decode.
    Samsung and Sony are supporting HDR10 at the moment with no plans to support Dolby Vision.

    LG and Vizio are supporting Dolby Vision (with the Dolby chip inside the TV) and also support (or in the case of Vizion, will be adding support shortly) for HDR10.

    Between the 2, DV is superior because it offers 12bit color vs HDR 10's 10 bit (hence the name). HDR 10 is supposed to be updating it's code though to support some of the features that DV does (not the 12bit color though).

    If you can get a TV that has both...right now it's the best of both worlds. I suspect that even though HDR 10 is "inferior" it will be the winner since it is open source.
    Currently, there are no 12 bit color panels available to consumers. The highest available is 10 bit. When Dolby Vision is shown on such UHD TVs, the color bit depth is down sampled from 12 bit to 10 bit.

    Maybe in the future TV manufacturers will create 12 bit panels. Dolby Vision is first a professional HDR format used for Dolby Vision encoded movies shown in Dolby Vision Theaters using Digital Cinema Laser Projectors. HDR10 is a consumer based HDR format.

    TCL UHD/4K TVs support Dolby Vision BTW. Dolby Vision does not require HDMI 2.0a where HDR10 does.
    Last edited by Lee Stewart; 06-11-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1