scohen is offline Staff

Default HD Gear Review: Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

With 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback, HDR-10 support, and plenty of apps, the Samsung UBD-K8500 is one of the finest first gen media players we've ever seen. Check out Michael Palmer's full review!

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/3038...gubdk8500.html
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

caliminius is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by scohen View Post
    With 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback, HDR-10 support, and plenty of apps, the Samsung UBD-K8500 is one of the finest first gen media players we've ever seen. Check out Michael Palmer's full review!

http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/3038...gubdk8500.html
    You might want to add that some blu-ray disc features will not work because the player lacks internal storage space. For example, when I went to play Avatar, I got a message stating that some feature (no idea what) wasn't available because it needed 1MB of storage that wasn't available on the player. Kind of disappointing in a $400 player when the $100 Sony Blu-Ray player I was using didn't have this issue.

And seriously, why isn't the Picture Mode setting in the Picture menu in Settings? I didn't know such a setting existed until reading this review.

Sony? LG? Panasonic? Anyone? We could use some competition to help the market right about now...
    Sometimes UHD discs aren't really 4K... www.realorfake4k.com

Setup - 65" 4K Vizio P-Series LED LCD - Samsung K8500 - Sony BDP-S590 - Yamaha 777 Towers, 333 Surrounds, 444 Center - Klipsch 12" Sub - Onkyo 7.2 AVR - 35Mbps Internet - Harmony Companion Hub - TV4 - 27" iMac w/PLEX - Airport Express

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
    You might want to add that some blu-ray disc features will not work because the player lacks internal storage space. For example, when I went to play Avatar, I got a message stating that some feature (no idea what) wasn't available because it needed 1MB of storage that wasn't available on the player. Kind of disappointing in a $400 player when the $100 Sony Blu-Ray player I was using didn't have this issue.

And seriously, why isn't the Picture Mode setting in the Picture menu in Settings? I didn't know such a setting existed until reading this review.
    This has been normal with many players for years. You just need to use a flash drive for BD-Live storage. The Avatar BD works perfectly fine with my K8500. I have a powered USB 3.0 hub attached to it. That way I can keep a flash drive always connected for BD live storage and also easily connect flash drives for other content.

The only bad thing about the K8500 and BD-Live storage is that the K8500 will only use a Flash drive formatted to FAT32 for BD-Live storage. Which limits file size to 4GB and below. With flash drives formatted with NTFS or exFAT, it will read them fine but won't let you use them for BD-Live storage. My Sony BD players have no problem using NTFS, exFAT and FAt32 Flash drives for BD-live storage

I had originally planned to just use one large flash drive for BD-Live storage and to also shuttle files back and forth. But because of this limitation that option was out. And since there is only one USB port, the best option was to use a powered USB 3.0 hub.

I had originally tried a couple of USB powered USB 3.0 hubs, but once the K8500 would start reading a bunch of data, the drives would drop. But the powered hub has worked fine.
    = 619(62.9%)
    = 365 (37.1%)
    Last : UHD-Underworld: Blood Wars
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    This has been normal with many players for years. You just need to use a flash drive for BD-Live storage. The Avatar BD works perfectly fine with my K8500. I have a powered USB 3.0 hub attached to it. That way I can keep a flash drive always connected for BD live storage and also easily connect flash drives for other content.
    Many a current BD player has enough internal memory to forego the flash drive. This is like 1st or 2nd gen BD Player which I thought what 10 years ago!
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Many a current BD player has enough internal memory to forego the flash drive. This is like 1st or 2nd gen BD Player which I thought what 10 years ago!
    The BD players from years ago had the BD-Live memory built in. It's the more recent players that omit the storage required for BD-Live. To save money.
    = 619(62.9%)
    = 365 (37.1%)
    Last : UHD-Underworld: Blood Wars
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

Quote Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
    The BD players from years ago had the BD-Live memory built in. It's the more recent players that omit the storage required for BD-Live. To save money.
    This amazes me because even 1Gb of internal memory would likely cost them 30 cents.

The technology itself has gotten cheaper so why go the extra step? Even the drive itself is just a BDXL drive! And h265 decoders have been around for awhile.

Bane is offline Member

So, I'v got an odd situation happening to me. I don't have a 4k tv yet as the model I want should be coming out soon but grabbed this the other day when I saw Best Buy actually had it in stock. Just to play around with it I played Episode 7 and there's a scene quite late in the movie that's predominantly red and black and during that part there's awful ghosting whenever one of the two characters move. When it briefly cuts to other parts it's fine, just the red and black is causing it.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
    One thing they do now, I noticed, is they have these platform wars, like "Xbox is better than Playstation." That's nerdy to me. What the fuck is the matter with you?
    - Ice-T on video game fanboys.

Currently $299 on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm//331847207977/

Palmer is offline Administrator

Hey, Everyone. Wanted to give you a heads up that the VIZIO P-Series is now HDR10 capable. So bring on the Ultra HD Blu-rays. The imagine quality so far, when paired with the K8500, is excellent. Cheers.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...th-hdr10/33950

DanzBorin is offline Founding Member

Wanted to share an interesting nugget. For some reason Netflix app for this player does not allow for Dolby Vision (HDR) output. Kind of crappy. Hopefully this is resolved soon.
    LG 75UH8500 w/ Tivo Bolt
    Onkyo TX-NR646 w/ Polk Audio RTi8s, RT35i, matching center and Klipsh 10" Reference sub

HDTV1080P is offline Member

Amazon is currently offering the Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player for only $187.86 plus free shipping.