Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    apsmith21 is offline Member

Question How can I fix a steelbook that has dents or dings?

**Thanks to BEC and Stuntastik30 for parts of this step to step guide to remove the plastic from the steel / metal.

In his original guide, Stuntastik was showing us how to swap the 2 disc and 1 disc plastic holders from two cases. I've added my own comments after the removal of the plastic has been completed.

1) Find something hard and thin. I happen to have a plastic sheet from a previous project but you could use a card or something.

(Beware you could Damage your Credit/Bank card so use something that you wont care about if it gets messed up.)

2) Gently slide a card between the top part of the case. (Warning card may get damage use one you are not using.)

3) Slide it Towards the spine gently popping out the plastic.

4) continue to lift and shimmy out the plastic case. careful not to break the little plastic pieces that allows you to snap it in and out of the metal face

5) there you go, metal removed.

6) hopefully you got to this step without breaking anything.

7) follow the same process for the other case.

8) a completely dismantled set of steelbooks.

9) Put the METAL part of the case that has damage on any hard / flat surface. Desk, table, tv tray, whatever. Make sure that the surface is FREE from any debris, dirt, dust, etc. You don't want to scratch your steelbook.

10) Take a HARD plastic spoon and press on the INSIDE of the steelbook with your spoon on any DENTED or area with dings.

11) The pressure from the plastic spoon should be ENOUGH to completely remove a large dent or ding easily such that it is not as noticeable as before.

12) NOTE: Defects on edges or spines of steelbooks are very hard to fix normally.

Steelbooks Assemble!!!

9) Simply slide the metal facing back in place and snap in.

10) gently push down around the edges making sure everything has popped back in place.

11) done

Favelle is online now Member

Bondo?....
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    "You don't keep friends who use low volume."
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies

Bane is offline Member

You know, this would be a great sticky for this area. Is there a way we can make that happen?
    One thing they do now, I noticed, is they have these platform wars, like "Xbox is better than Playstation." That's nerdy to me. What the fuck is the matter with you?
    - Ice-T on video game fanboys.

cheerup38 is offline Member

Is it just me or did the spines get swapped too?? If so, how do you make that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by cheerup38 View Post
    Is it just me or did the spines get swapped too?? If so, how do you make that happen?
    Yeah, you have to swap the spines if you're going to swap the plastic insides.

Here's his instructions about how to do that. Thanks again to Stuntastik!!

1) Notice that the spine label is stiff DO NOT PULL ON LABEL!!! you'll risk putting a bend crease in the metal label. This is how I found out what the sticker label was really made out of and immediately stopped. luckily I didn't damage it.

2) Find something hard and thin. I happen to have a plastic sheet from a previous project but you could use a card or something.

(Beware you could Damage your Credit/Bank card so use something that you wont care about if it gets messed up.)

Put the plastic sheet under the label and gently pull down. slide the plastic sheet side to side if you have to.

After you got the label off you'll notice its still sticky. place it upside down on the table and repeat, peeling the label of the other case.

stick the labels on the opposite cases, careful not to put them on upside down. the adhesive is still sticky so labels should re attach no problem.

apply pressure and rub the label up and down until It feels secure.

(sorry i don't have any pictures of this I was worried that the adhesive would loose its stickiness so I did it quickly.)

3) Voila! pure miss match. Labels are now switched.

mpbolly is offline Member

what about scratches?

You can try and take a very soft cloth and buff them out. Sometimes that helps, but it depends on the finish of the item - I've heard some people use a type of car wax before and had good success.

Most of the time though, people don't mess with the scratches.

blazsox is offline Member

Question about removing residue: I removed the shrink wrap from my Gangs of New York Steelbook only to find the paper label on the backside get stuck to the Steel, now I got a blob of residue on the back.

What would be the best way to remove this without damaging the cover?

View it:
    Spoiler:
    PSN: blazsox
    XBL: blazsox

I would use something as simple as butter or something non corrosive and non abrasive. Don't ever use goo gone or things like that. Flat / matte steels get shiny with that stuff, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by apsmith21 View Post
    I would use something as simple as butter or something non corrosive and non abrasive. Don't ever use goo gone or things like that. Flat / matte steels get shiny with that stuff, in my experience.
    Really? I've had a few people suggest to me to use Goo Gone.

To each their own, but I had a matte finish Hancock steelbook that I used goo gone to remove the sticker residue, and after I had a wonderful shiny spot where the glue was.

So the entire steelbook was a flat finish, and then I had a nice spot of shiny in the bottom left hand corner.

Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by apsmith21 View Post
    To each their own, but I had a matte finish Hancock steelbook that I used goo gone to remove the sticker residue, and after I had a wonderful shiny spot where the glue was.

So the entire steelbook was a flat finish, and then I had a nice spot of shiny in the bottom left hand corner.

Not cool.
    So with something like butter, I should just rub it on the steel, let it sit for a little to weaken the glue, and just use something like a (non-used) credit card to pick it off?

You should be able to use your hands / fingers - I wouldn't chance scratching it with a credit card.

Samuel is offline Member

I fear dings and dents every time I buy a steel. Pretty much every dvd I've had that came in steel has a few dents by now after moves and various shuffling around. I'll have to bookmark this thread.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Read this on another site and asked myself why I did not think about this:
    Place your valuable Steelbooks in plastic bags, similar to what comic book collectors to. Follow THIS link to a suitable product.

They may be similar in size to comic book bags, so you can also check your local gaming store. I mean gaming as in Role Playing or CCG, such as Magic The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, Pokemon, etc.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast