Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > HD DVD Archive > HD DVD Software General Discussion
Reload this Page Universal Pictures Australasia announces continuing support for HD DVD

hd dvd Universal Pictures Australasia announces continuing support for HD DVD

Just today Universal Pictures Australasia announced a continued commitment to back HD DVD and to expect 20 new titles.

Universal Pictures Australasia announces continuing support for HD DVD

SYDNEY (4 Feb. 2008) – Universal Pictures Australasia announces its continuing support for the HD DVD format including plans to release at least 20 HD DVD titles in 2008.

Consumers in Australia & New Zealand can look forward to owning some of 2007’s most acclaimed movies on HD DVD, including the 14-Bafta nominated Atonement (30th April 2008), The Kingdom(6th February 2008), Elizabeth: The Golden Age(12th March 2008), American Gangster(14th May 2008), and Charlie Wilson’s War(4th June 2008).

HD DVD is loaded with signature features and state-of-the-art technology, including real-time interactivity, picture in picture, scene sharing, and web-enabled bonus content, giving viewers the power to go deeper into the action.

HD DVD players are the most affordable option which as well as enabling more consumers to enjoy the superior benefits of HD DVD also gives them the ability to up-scale their entire DVD movie collection via HDMI™ output to near high def picture quality.

In addition, due to mandated specifications every HD DVD player is able to offer a superior and consistent interactive experience such as picture in picture. Internet connectivity is also a mandatory feature of every HD DVD player which means that HD DVD player owners can experience cutting-edge content and additional advanced interactive features directly via the internet. All of this comes on top of the ultimate high definition experience through superior audio/video performance.

Eddie Cunningham, President Universal Pictures International Entertainment, said: “Universal Pictures Australasia is delighted to be releasing some of the most high-profile and celebrated titles on HD DVD in 2008.”

The American Gangster HD DVD, to be released on 14th May 2008, delivers amazing features using Microsoft's HDi technology. You can navigate through the movie, bonus features and settings as the movie plays, and instantly turn U-Control on or off. Your American Gangster HD DVD puts you in control of a new multi-dimensional, high-definition movie experience.

The HD DVD will include U-Control picture-in-picture, taking you behind the scenes with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, director Ridley Scott, producer Brian Grazer and key cast and crew members for exclusive interviews and revealing footage about the scene you’re watching. The My Scenes feature let’s you create your own personal collection of favourite American Gangster scenes. Bookmark the ones you want and all will appear as a visual timeline of the movie. Select any clip and you are instantly transported to that moment. Your HD DVD player will store your scenes until you delete them, so you can enjoy your own personal version of the film whenever you like.

About HD DVD
    HD DVD is the next generation, post-DVD standard for high capacity, high definition optical discs, approved by the DVD Forum, which develops and defines DVD formats. Its more than 220 strong membership brings together leaders in movies and entertainment, computing, consumer electronics and software. The European HD DVD Promotional Group. is an organization established to promote the HD DVD format and educate consumers in Europe. For more information and a complete listing of HD DVD launch titles please visit http://www.hddvdeurope.com/
    Very nice find Geonosis.

Open commitment like this is always reasuring for existing and new adoptees of the platform.

I am hoping sales of popular releases this Feb and Mar get noticed by all participating retailers.
    Well, if they announced it there, then it implies that Universal Pics in the USA also indeed remains committed. Good find!
    Home Theatre room: Pioneer VSX-59Txi Elite Receiver, DV-59Avi Elite DVD Player, Toshiba A1, PS3 60Gb, Mits. 73" 1080p DLP HDTV, Dahlquist DQ-30 Front speakers, Regnar Center speaker, Dalhquist DQ-10 Rear speakers, Definitive BPX rear surrounds
    Family room: Pioneer VSX-55Txi Elite Receiver, DV-47Ai Elite DVD Player, XBox 360/add-on, Magnavox 42" Plasma, 5 KLM Surround Speakers
    HD DVD: 205 - Blu-ray: 72
    I don't know guys, this seems more depressing that uplifting. They talk of "20 titles", but just like the last interview someone an Uni gave, they mention just 5 titles and mostly spend time pushing American Gangster.
    Great to see continuing support in 2008, but the number of titles seem rather low (how many did they release in 2007 in Australia?).
    Sony 60" LCD KDF-E60A20
    Sony STR-DG910 7.1 HDMI Audio Receiver
    Tannoy and Infinity Speakers
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player
    Sony PS3 60GB

This is still really good news! AG and Beowolf are going to really need to sell well to send the message!
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Man5 View Post
    I don't know guys, this seems more depressing that uplifting. They talk of "20 titles", but just like the last interview someone an Uni gave, they mention just 5 titles and mostly spend time pushing American Gangster.
    Well, last year Universal released almost nothing for the first 3 month of 2007, then kicked in to high gear after that, so I am not too concerned that they are focusing on American Ganster for now, they are probably not ready for their next announcements - but I am sure Atonement is not far off, it has already been announced in UK.
    Home Theatre room: Pioneer VSX-59Txi Elite Receiver, DV-59Avi Elite DVD Player, Toshiba A1, PS3 60Gb, Mits. 73" 1080p DLP HDTV, Dahlquist DQ-30 Front speakers, Regnar Center speaker, Dalhquist DQ-10 Rear speakers, Definitive BPX rear surrounds
    Family room: Pioneer VSX-55Txi Elite Receiver, DV-47Ai Elite DVD Player, XBox 360/add-on, Magnavox 42" Plasma, 5 KLM Surround Speakers
    is atonement a Universal movie?
    My HDM (223) (Latest: Lord of the Rings Extended Edit., Star Wars The Complete Saga (US))
    My Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
    is atonement a Universal movie?
    It is Focus, which also does Eastern Promises, basically a Universal affiliate.
    I see....!
    My HDM (223) (Latest: Lord of the Rings Extended Edit., Star Wars The Complete Saga (US))
    My Youtube Channel
    Charlie Wilson’s War blind buy for me
    + =
    Good news to be sure, but damn...I want catalog announcements too!
    LINK for this??
    HDM Fan
    HDTV: Samsung 50" 1080p DLP
    Blu-ray player: Playstation 3 (60Gig)
    Blu-rays owned: 26
    HD DVD Players: Toshiba HD-A2
    HD DVDs owned: 21

>>(View my BD/HD Movie Collection ) <<

Newest Purchases: No Country for Old Men, Curse of the Golden Flower, Beowulf
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDT View Post
    LINK for this??
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/02/un..._releases.html
    seems like a pretty unbiased article there from gizmodo.

luckily I found this one:
    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16449/1103/
    HDM Fan
    HDTV: Samsung 50" 1080p DLP
    Blu-ray player: Playstation 3 (60Gig)
    Blu-rays owned: 26
    HD DVD Players: Toshiba HD-A2
    HD DVDs owned: 21

>>(View my BD/HD Movie Collection ) <<

Newest Purchases: No Country for Old Men, Curse of the Golden Flower, Beowulf