Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Which format do you neutruals prefer?

Hi everyone. Making that "HD DVD or Blu-ray. What do you OWN?!!"-thread was nice because it spoke facts, not one-sided opinions. What I want to do here is ask for opinions. However to avoid totally emotional fanboy opinions, I kindly ask that only those of you who has access to both a HD DVD and Blu-Ray player and movies on both formats, what you favor - and why. I really feel that you people are in the best position to make judgements because you haven't emtionally attached yourself to one specifically format and you have the best premises to form yourselfs what I like to think of as "a valid opinion" on persinal experience. I know some of you have made a choice to support either with a reasonable basis, but this is simply the easiest way to avoid the usual flameparty.

I would post a poll in this thread, but I'm afraid that everyone else is gonna vote for their favorite as well. So please just state your 1st choice and elaborate the reason

PS: I'm sorry if you all feel that this subject has been beaten to death, but I feel like I'm reading through 20 totally biased fanboy posts for every 1 good reasoned post I read around here

Optional reading below, just some background on why I care for this
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I was planning on keeping myself out of this formatwar totally until I decided to give my dad some movies for christmas. Problem is that I can't bring myself to pay for a movie or TV series in such "lowres" as DVD - not least because my father is a hifi enthusiast himself, or at least he has been (he has a 10-year old but at the time very expensive home cinema in the his basement and a 50" 1080p plasma in the living room. Back in the days he had a collection of over 1000 movies on laserdisc as well). He's very hesitant to pick HD DVD or Bluray and has stated that he's probably just waiting for the first good combi players. However I feel like pushing him now because it's I simply find it outragous that he has all that super expensive equipment but doesn't want to give the extra few hundred dollars for at least one of the two types of players, HD or BD. So unfortunately you can say that I now care about the format war since I have to make a choice of what to give him for xmas. I've had an idea all along to give him Heroes Season 1, which would suggest at least going down the HD DVD road. But to unbias my selection and give push him a bit further, I'm also considering to give him a Bluray exclusive as well (will of course give him the receipts) - then he'd really have to act! My Xbox360 is at his place so I'd just let him buy an HD DVD drive for it if he wanted that as a cheap and temporary solution until he eventually could buy a real super highend player when they finally become available, should HD DVD win the war. As far as bluray goes, he'd pretty much have to buy a PS3 I guess. Anyway that's my situation, I'm still thinking a lot about what to do and any suggestions of good BD-exlusive titles would also be nice

I currently lean a little bit towards HD DVD of several reasons, but it could totally change in a stroke with some big studio-support related news or whatever and I'm really just interested in a format domination winner SOON. I have explained this slight nod to HD DVD in a post on nvnews, but apparently I'm not allowed to link it yet until I have 10 postcount (spam prevention). Oh well, I will update this post with the link when I can

But I'm here to with an open mind to listen to everyone and I want to be more convinced on either format regardless which.
    If you find a sub $200 HD DVD player, buy it. If you need a game console, buy the PS3 and use it until the SA issues get straightened out. I have owned 2 sets of both formats. First an A2 and S300. SOld them and bought an A20 and a HD94. nAs far as media, I buy the HD DVDs I want and wait for sales on the BDs. A BOGO on your favorite BD is never that far away.
    well,
    I like HD DVD's menu and interactive features better than blu ray's. picture is always the same for me. Tho I might lean towards blu in the audio department. It just sounds crisper to me. Like with gun shots and explosions.. ect. I love the IME in movie experience also which is HD DVD only. It really is a toss up and I'm fine with either one taking over for dvd. I also find more of the drama's that I like on HD DVD but I find more kid friendly films on blu ray. So I may be no help to anyone. hahaha
    Which format do I prefer as a neutral? Whichever format has the movie I want to watch. In the event of Warner Bros I buy the BluRay version due to my library being majority of BluRay and a better picture than the Toshiba.
    And then I ran my tin-cup heart along the prison of her ribs.

Default could change...

I lean to HD DVD. That is because I love extra content because I expect new extras on a next generation format. Many don't agree but, oh well. I would say that if he can just go neutral. First thing is I didn't want to have to choose some movies over others, as I love movies most of all and not a format. Whenever there is a release I can just get it. That is the best thing about being neutral to me, but if the release has more to offer on one format than the other(dual release) I will always go for the most "bang for the buck".
    Quote Originally Posted by leons26 View Post
    I lean to HD DVD. That is because I love extra content because I expect new extras on a next generation format. Many don't agree but, oh well. I would say that if he can just go neutral. First thing is I didn't want to have to choose some movies over others, as I love movies most of all and not a format. Whenever there is a release I can just get it. That is the best thing about being neutral to me, but if the release has more to offer on one format than the other(dual release) I will always go for the most "bang for the buck".
    I second this guys post. It's the beauty of being purple, man!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoBro828 View Post
    and a better picture than the Toshiba.
    What players do you have that makes that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Purple Avenger8or View Post
    What players do you have that makes that true?
    BD10AK and HDA3
    BD10AK and HDA3
    Complete crap, just as I thought.
    BD10AK and HDA3
    I think its the 1080i vs 1080p thing. which IMHO has nothing to do with HD DVD vs. BLu.. but I guess that is why you prefer it tho, cuz your players are different level players.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
    I think its the 1080i vs 1080p thing. which IMHO has nothing to do with HD DVD vs. BLu.. but I guess that is why you prefer it tho, cuz your players are different level players.
    He can't see the difference between the transmission method and neither player sends native 1080p from the disc.
    He can't see the difference between the transmission method and neither player sends native 1080p from the disc.
    Yeah but saying that his equipment is crap just shows you as being petty. So kudos for degrading yourself.
    I think I'm in love with my radio.... Because it never lets me down.
    Good point. I have always said I think people see what they want to believe....which is usually the format into which the buy into first.
    Quote Originally Posted by pirates View Post
    Yeah but saying that his equipment is crap just shows you as being petty. So kudos for degrading yourself.
    Except that I didn't say that.
    He can't see the difference
    I love it when people tell me what I can and cannot do, see or hear.