Attebery is offline Member

Default NBC’s Zucker Calls Boxee Illegal – Boxee Responds

NBC’s Zucker Calls Boxee Illegal – Boxee Responds:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Responds/4205

Can he name the law Boxee is allegedly breaking?

If not, I can name the law he's breaking: slander.

GizmoDVD is offline Banned

Zucker's an idiot. This is news?

abuttino is offline Member

What a moron, SERIOUSLY..

What basis did he have to say it's illegal? What law were they breaking?

If this goes to federal court you can expect NBC/Hulu to lose miserably.

EDIT: That would be like suing firefox because people are viewing hulu with a non-preferred browser..

Quote Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
    Can he name the law Boxee is allegedly breaking?

If not, I can name the law he's breaking: slander.
    Obviously voicing an opinion that something is illegal is not criminal slander. If the claim can be shown to be a deliberate misrepresentation and causes harm to Boxee, it could possibly bring a civil lawsuit claiming damages but that would be very rare in the business world. Personal opinions are generally protected by the first amendment, it is called freedom of speech. As far as i know, Boxee hasn't been shown to be a legal service or an illegal service in the courts and opinions will differ until that happens. I am not an attorney and the law is often not very logical in my opinion.

Chris

lysandre is offline Member

Boxee’s contention is that they merely enable their users to view the content through the existing web service. “Boxee makes use of a browser to get into Hulu’s content - simillar to Firefox or Internet Explorer,” says Avner Ronen on Boxee’s official blog. “We don’t “take” the recording. We don’t copy it. We don’t put ads at the top of it. The recording additionally, the ads play like they certainly do on other browsers or on Hulu Desktop. And it certainly is legal to do so.”
    Melbourne is definitely a fabulous city and boasts many of Australia's best town planning and high Victorian architecture. I moved to this city weeks ago. Notwithstanding I had mountains of molehills to arrange, like purchasing cheap beds and sofa on the market, redecorating the kitchen, etc. All in all, I can enjoy the tennis major at The Aussie Open, stretch myself on a beach under the warm sun and try to persuade animals not to stamp my on garden!