Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > High-Definition Content and Gear > Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page Sync problem with Sony S350 Blu-ray player and surround, sound behind the picture!

Unhappy Sync problem with Sony S350 Blu-ray player and surround, sound behind the picture!

Hi everybody,

I've hooked up a Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray player to our LG HT902TB 5.1 surround system with an optical cable. The Blu-ray player is connected to a Samsung LE32A656A TV via HDMI. However, when playing Blu-ray discs, the audio is running about half a second BEHIND the video, so the voices of people are coming out after they've started speaking, and the sound of explosions are going off after they have happened.

There is a setting both in the LG surround system and the Sony Blu-ray player to delay the sound, but this doesn't help, since I either need to reduce the delay in sound, or slow down the video to match it up. When listening with the TV's speakers (from the HDMI), there is no delay, and if I run the TV and surround speakers at the same time there is a half second echo, with the surround speakers being delayed. Weirdly, when our HD satellite box is plugged into the surround system with the same optical cable and input, there is no delay at all, even when watching channels with 5.1 surround sound. This sound delay is only there with the Blu-ray player. I've fiddled with every possible setting I could find in the Blu-ray Audio settings, but so far nothing has made any difference.

Can anybody offer any advice? Blu-rays are unfortunately unwatchable with this sound delay!

Thanks very much in advance
    Via optical??? First, you won't be getting the full impact of lossless sound.

As far as syncing goes, it has to be coming from the receiver itself. Find the sync function, there you adjust it. Do this while film is playing to test it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    Via optical??? First, you won't be getting the full impact of lossless sound.

As far as syncing goes, it has to be coming from the receiver itself. Find the sync function, there you adjust it. Do this while film is playing to test it out.
    I'm pretty sure that my receiver doesn't support lossless sound, and it doesn't have an HDMI input, so I think plugging the Blu-ray player in via optical is the only way to go. I mentioned that the receiver has a sync function, but it only allows me to delay the audio. Since the audio is already delayed (it comes after the picture), delaying it further only makes the problem worse. I need to move the slider in the other direction, as it were - making the sound come sooner or the picture come later. As I mentioned, this problem isn't present with our HD satellite box, so it would seem to be something related to the Sony player. I'm very happy to be proven wrong though!
    Interestingly, after further investigation, it seems that this problem only occurs on discs which have DTS and DTS HD soundtracks. Discs with Dolby 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD do not have any audio lag. This would explain why the satellite receiver does not exhibit this problem, since the HD satellite channels' sound is Dolby 5.1.

So the question is, how can I fix this half-second delay that the DTS soundtracks have? About half of our Blu-ray discs use DTS rather than Dolby, and are completely unwatchable at the moment
    I have the exact same problem -i have a 3d 8ooo series samsung tv connected with hmdi to a sony 3d blu ray player and a sony hdtas5 sound surround 5.1 and when i play dolby digital discs =they are perfect and dts discs are out of synch - i have tried altering all the av synch in the tv ,blu ray and sound surround so i moved the optical cable which was connected from the tv to the sound surround to the blu ray and sound surround and it worked -perfect synch on all discs -then this morning i switched it all on and it was out of synch again so i put the optical cable back on the tv to sound surround and it was perfect again- when i switched off it all went to pot again so i took the optical cable out and it is perfect but of course if i watch tv i have no sound -only the sound from the tv speakers -its driving me nuts and i am no techno geek -the only solution appears to be when watching blu ray leave optical off and when watching tv plug optical in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!