Reply 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1

    Default Help! Receiver keeps shutting off at high volume


    Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm suddenly having with my Onkyo receiver. I just recently purchased an Onkyo HT-S5100 HTIB. I've had no problems with it for months but all of the sudden for the past few weeks whenever I turn the volume above 36 on my receiver while watching a Blu-ray or even some PS3 games with heavy bass, the receiver suddenly shuts off and the red light flashes a few times. I have to turn the receiver back on but if I don't turn the volume down (to 35 or below) I run the risk of it shutting right back off.

    It's almost like as if maybe the receiver is drawing too much power, or not getting enough power, and goes into a "standby" mode.

    As you can imagine this is terribly annoying and I can't figure out how to resolve it. I have tried lowering the bass, and plugging the receiver and subwoofer into separate outlets. The problem still occurs.

    Anyone have any idea what is going on and how I can fix this issue? I'm afraid maybe the receiver is "damaged" now or defective. I surely hope this is not the case.
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    where it rains all the f-in time!
    Posts
    3,897
    Is the receiver in a place with good ventilation? Is there other equipment on top of it?

    Also, did you change something in the last couple of weeks? Like, cables or added a piece of equipment?
    Display: Epson HC 6100 Proj/106" Da-Lite High Power screen or Panasonic 50" Plasma
    Receiver & Speakers : Yamaha AVR HTR-5940 / Boston Acoustic LCR DSi495 & Rears DSi455 (In-Ceiling)
    Sources: Toshiba HD-A3 (86 titles), Panasonic BD655AK (240 titles), Sage TV HD HTPC (8TB), Comcast w/crappy HD, SD-DVD ~950
  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
    Is the receiver in a place with good ventilation? Is there other equipment on top of it?

    Also, did you change something in the last couple of weeks? Like, cables or added a piece of equipment?
    Extremely well ventilated (it's not a cabinet type setup, it's just wide open), no new equipment added, and no changes to cables. All the cables are brand new too. I'm seriously stumped. It worked perfectly for months...
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  4. #4
    Other thing to consider is other new things in the house that might be on the same circuit that are either drawing heavily or creating harmonics in the circuit. We had this happen with our Pioneer Elite receiver because a space heater of all things was plugged in in a different room, but on the same circuit. We suspect as the thermostat on the heater clicked on and off it degraded the circuit enough momentarily to trip the shut off.

    Try tripping the breaker manually and go find out what outlets are effected in total and see if that opens up any other possibilitied for you?
  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunyaga View Post
    Other thing to consider is other new things in the house that might be on the same circuit that are either drawing heavily or creating harmonics in the circuit. We had this happen with our Pioneer Elite receiver because a space heater of all things was plugged in in a different room, but on the same circuit. We suspect as the thermostat on the heater clicked on and off it degraded the circuit enough momentarily to trip the shut off.

    Try tripping the breaker manually and go find out what outlets are effected in total and see if that opens up any other possibilitied for you?
    hmm good idea I'll have to give that a try.
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  6. #6
    Best of luck. Also, since your receiver is out in the open, can you see if dust has collected that could be blown out with forced air? I'm grasping at straws for you on this one, but if you're like I was you'll try anything at this point...
  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunyaga View Post
    Best of luck. Also, since your receiver is out in the open, can you see if dust has collected that could be blown out with forced air? I'm grasping at straws for you on this one, but if you're like I was you'll try anything at this point...
    I'm a neat freak but I'll definitely give that a try as well. I appreciate the help.
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,355
    Is the top of the receiver very hot when it shuts off?
    I am guessing the sub has a built in amp so lowering the bass should not really have an effect on the receiver turning off.
    To me it sounds like the receiver is overheating and going into thermal protection and shutting off to protect itself, why it just started to happen now, I have no idea.
  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by typ44q View Post
    Is the top of the receiver very hot when it shuts off?
    I am guessing the sub has a built in amp so lowering the bass should not really have an effect on the receiver turning off.
    To me it sounds like the receiver is overheating and going into thermal protection and shutting off to protect itself, why it just started to happen now, I have no idea.
    I will say this. I do use the home theater system a lot, and I have it on for hours at a time usually at night and weekends because I'm either watching TV, watching a blu-ray, or playing PS3. If I'm playing PS3 or watching a Blu-ray movie it's likely getting a hell of a workout.

    What I will try to do then is maybe open up my window (still have lots of cool air) and have a fan blow on the receiver for an hour and then give it a test. Sounds ghetto but i'm curious to see what difference if any it makes.

    Oh and my receiver and other components sit on top of glass. Is this bad? I just recently got the new tv stand and before that I had a solid wood based stand which never gave me an issue.
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  10. #10
    is it running through a power conditioner?
    if not maybe think about getting one.
  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    is it running through a power conditioner?
    if not maybe think about getting one.
    No just a surge protector strip. Is there one you would recommend? What about this one by Monster that I see a lot of people use?


    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1206749189229

    or:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384501817

    Or are neither sufficient enough?
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area Calif. - USA
    Posts
    4,316
    My vote is the overheating theory with the receiver shutting itself down, especially since it will come back on afterwards at a lower volume (thus drawing less power and generating less heat).
    Unfortunately some damage may already be done in the power supply circuitry of the receiver, requiring a rebuild of the power supply section. If it is still under warranty, I'd have the manufacturer look at it post haste.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    My vote is the overheating theory with the receiver shutting itself down, especially since it will come back on afterwards at a lower volume (thus drawing less power and generating less heat).
    Unfortunately some damage may already be done in the power supply circuitry of the receiver, requiring a rebuild of the power supply section. If it is still under warranty, I'd have the manufacturer look at it post haste.
    That's unfortunately what I was afraid of. I bought the receiver direct through Onkyo as a refurbished unit. I believe it only had a 30 day warranty but I will double check with them. This is definitely disappointing if that is the truth.
    Rob
    PSN: exRob (Add me!)
    XBL: EXrob (Add me!)
    Latest purchases: X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Library Count: 47
  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area Calif. - USA
    Posts
    4,316
    Quote Originally Posted by exrob View Post
    That's unfortunately what I was afraid of. I bought the receiver direct through Onkyo as a refurbished unit. I believe it only had a 30 day warranty but I will double check with them. This is definitely disappointing if that is the truth.
    Another thought . . . are you using the speakers that came with the system? If not - are the speakers you are using compatible with the amplifier section of this unit? I'm just poking at the possibility of an impedance mismatch or speaker efficiency rating which may be overloading the amplifier section of this HTIB receiver.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs
  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by exrob View Post
    That's unfortunately what I was afraid of. I bought the receiver direct through Onkyo as a refurbished unit. I believe it only had a 30 day warranty but I will double check with them. This is definitely disappointing if that is the truth.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/warranty.cfm

    Quote Originally Posted by Onkyo USA
    Refurbished Products:
    Receivers & Amplifiers 1 year Parts & labor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts