View Poll Results: What one should I get?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sony STR-DG820

6 12.24%
  • Onkyo TX-SR606

30 61.22%
  • Save your money fool!

13 26.53%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Which receiver should I buy?

I am getting a nice tax return this year and have almost convinced the wife to allow me to upgrade our 8 year old surround sound receiver. I have narrowed it down to two choices - the Sony 820 and the Onkyo 606. So what do you guys think? Both have HD audio decoding and will be hooked up with a Sony BDP-S350 Blu Ray player, a Toshiba HD A2 player, and Dish HD DVR. I will use my current speakers (mid range Sony 5.1 set that works fine) and will use HDMI for Blu-ray and HD DVD and optical for DISH. Thanks in advance for your input...
    I would stay as far away as possible from Sony receivers. I've heard nothing but bad reviews from Sony audio products.

You will not more 'bang for your buck' than with Onkyo. With that said, the 606 is a really good product. Some people experience a few issues, i.e. buzzing, DTS-HD MA "bomb", but as a 706 owner I can tell you that I (like most owners) have nothing but good to say about Onkyo and their receiver line.
    i had the 820 for 2 weeks and i thought it was great. i would recommend the 820 to anyone. go to AVS forum and see which one has the most useful features to you and hear what others are saying about both AV Receivers. i would recommend the 820 to anyone.

saying all that i went with the Denon 889.

i love Audessy and i think you might like the Audessy in the 606 too if you have a room with weird acoustics.
    "The Hutts are gangstas!"

flickr
    Onkyos tend to push out a lot of heat (I can attest to this with the 605) but they're sufficient otherwise. That's the only reason I say look elsewhere. Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha have excellent offerings.
    I would stay as far away as possible from Sony receivers. I've heard nothing but bad reviews from Sony audio products.
    I wish people would refrain from giving advice like this to new people...it's irresponsible.

Bad advice. Not ALL Sony receivers are bad just like not ALL Onkyo receivers are bad/good. you need to pick a model that has the features you want and research it. I have a VERY good Sony receiver.
    i agree stay away from sony recievers there pretty bad, get that onkyo 606
    TV: Samsung 40' A630
    Receiver: Denon avr889
    Speakers: Energy Take Classic
    Blu ray player: 60gig PS3
    : 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
    I wish people would refrain from giving advice like this to new people...it's irresponsible.

Bad advice. Not ALL Sony receivers are bad just like not ALL Onkyo receivers are bad/good. you need to pick a model that has the features you want and research it. I have a VERY good Sony receiver.
    Isn't yours a DG1xxx or 2xxx though? These have their ES components inside, and a person would be foolish to bag on the ES receivers (even if their MSRP is a tad high); the DG7xx, 8xx and 9xx have the weakest amplifiers Sony could possibly get away with, and the result does not sound pretty, especially so for low efficiency or full range speakers. One who is in it for the sound quality should go for the 606 over the 820, if it's sound quality that is the priority. Too bad the new Yamaha line isn't out yet...looks like it should have a receiver in the same price bracket as these two.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
    Too bad the new Yamaha line isn't out yet...looks like it should have a receiver in the same price bracket as these two.
    what new line? i just got my receiver last year when it first came out. NOOOOOOOO!!!

edit: turns out that not much has changed in my case besides the led's. they did add a bit to the lower models and i guess they switch some of the internals from the 663 into the 765.
    Last edited by themiz69; 02-23-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Display 1: 37" Olevia LCD
    Display 2: Planar PD7060 720P Projector @ 92"
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V663
    Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 11's
    Center: Paradigm CC-390
    Rears: Paradigm Mini Monitors
    Samsung BD-UP5000
    Toshiba HD-A35 x2, Xbox 360 Add On x 3, Toshiba SD-H802A(???)
    (Elite) x3, Nintendo Wii, (320GB BC)
    's = 250+ 's = 160+
    The onkyo 606 has 4 hdmi inputs and a great upconverting chip in it. I'd go for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post

Not trying to give bad advice or be "irresponsible", but if you did some research you would see that Sony's receivers (minus the overpriced ES line) garners not-so-good reviews everytime.

Granted, I'm didn't say Onkyos were perfect, but overall they get better reviews that the Sony STR-DGX10 and X20 lines.

Posting a thread like this you, like the OP, have to expect answers from both sides of the fence. In the end, no matter how much advice is given, the OP will have to do his own research, check out the models him/herself, and make up his own mind like you stated.
    I voted for the Onkyo also. I have an 805 and love it. I have never been a fan of sony products except for their tv's
    I have to vote Onkyo here... Maybe if I was more personally familiar with the Sony I might be able to see going with the sony over the onkyo... But I just haven't used Sony AVRs, and unfortunatly the CE just gets way too much bad press for their AVRs. Compared to the Onkyo which I and so many others here are familiar with it just feels like a bigger risk even for the price.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)
    Actually, I'd put that money to some better speakers. IF it were me... A speaker upgrade will make a bigger difference in audio, than swapping out low budget receivers. For $400, you could get a nice Left/Center/Right speaker package.
    Panasonic TC-P50G25
    Algolith Flea
    DVDO Edge
    Toshiba A35 & Onkyo 805
    Denon 1610 & Pioneer 51fd
    Denon 1909 & Pioneer 1120 AVR's
    Elemental Designs 7.1
    HTPC

"Best" version of BD's with multiple releases
    I've got Onkyo now and I will probably stay with Onkyo. I am a Sony whore to a certain degree, but they always seem to be dead even with competitors on certain products. For example Sony Cameras, Canon cameras. Samsung Tvs, Sony Tvs. Xbox 360 vs PS3. However, like bfocussvt said, they are notorious for horrible audio products.
    {Living Room Setup}
    Samsung 51" PN51D550C1
    Samsung HTIB HT-D6730WZA
    {Theater Room Setup}
    Samsung LED Series 6000 46"
    Samsung BD-P1600
    Infinity Primus 5.1 Floor Speaker System.
    Onkyo TX-SR707
    Favorite Actors -Russell Crowe, Tom Hanks, Leonoardo Dicaprio
    Favorite Directors - Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Martin Scorsese
    Well, I have read about a lot of issues with Onkyo, so if I say all Onkyos are bad, is that correct? Upconverting issues, sound issues, heat issues, HDMI issues.....

Maybe if I was more personally familiar with the Sony I might be able to see going with the sony over the onkyo
    This is why telling people WHY a certain receiver is good or bad. The "Sony is crap" isn't really telling the person much. If it weren't for Onkyo's known issues, I would have bought the 806 I was looking at. I KNEW what the problems were and decided not to go with Onkyo. I did research on the Sony amp i was looking at and it was rated VERY high. I also got it for an incredible price. The point here is, I CONSIDERED the Sony amp, did some research, and it turned out to be a much better buy than the Onkyo or the Pioneer Elite I was looking at. Of course, there are still people who will jump on the Onkyo bandwagon just because everyone else is on it, and there are some people who would blindly buy the Elite because of the "Elite" tag on it (I personally love elite), then there are some who will weigh all of the good and bad and make a decision based on what they need, price, and reliability. If everyone remembers Samsungs reputation quite a few years ago...NO ONE would be recommending their TV's, even though they are making some of the best TV's on the market.