Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    usckid is offline Member

Is that Fluance 5.1 package the shipped price b/c the website says $199
    To buy or not to buy? That is the question....

954nole is offline Member

wow thank you so much for all that!! Ive been reading as much s possible to figure out what to do in my new house i just moved in and this is by far the best website/post i have ever seen!

I will be buying a new 3d tv soon, but still researching if i want the samsung or panasonic 58 plasma(leaning hard towards the panny, but want to wait for a while.) I have a 2009 52 inch samsung LCD in the mean time :-)

But on to my sound, which i plan on buying as soon as i can figure all this out and feel comfortable I am buying a good product that will fit into my current setup here.

I moved in here and I already have my house wired for surround sound through the ceiling in the living room from the prior owners, which comes out behind my couch by the roof, from the crown molding. But i have wires coming from the left, middle, and right? So I am assuming this room was set up for 7.1 and not 5.1 since there are wires directly in the middle instead of just on the sides?

My question also now is...does that mean I have to get a 7.1 system?

Another ?...(I should take a pic and post to explain it better,) but i have an alarm/motion detector about 6 inches from the left rare speaker wires that are coming through the crown molding. Does that mean I need to have one of those real small speakers or is there a better way to get around that. Ill work on a picture for you guys since none of this probably makes much sense.

If any one could possibly push me in the right direction with that ^^^^ setup already in place I would be forever grateful!! Maybe a good bracket in that tight space with the motion detector? Thanks so much for any 411

comixguru is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by usckid View Post
    Is that Fluance 5.1 package the shipped price b/c the website says $199
    Yeah, shipping is expensive on those sets... but even with shipping they are an amazing bargain. They trounce anything you can buy from any named brands for $400+ (even at bargain prices).
    Display: Epson HC 6100 Proj/106" Da-Lite High Power screen or Panasonic 50" Plasma
    Receiver & Speakers : Yamaha AVR HTR-5940 / Boston Acoustic LCR DSi495 & Rears DSi455 (In-Ceiling)
    Sources: Toshiba HD-A3 (86 titles), Panasonic BD655AK (240 titles), Sage TV HD HTPC (8TB), Comcast w/crappy HD, SD-DVD ~950

Quote Originally Posted by 954nole View Post
    So I am assuming this room was set up for 7.1 and not 5.1 since there are wires directly in the middle instead of just on the sides?

My question also now is...does that mean I have to get a 7.1 system?

Another ?...(I should take a pic and post to explain it better,) but i have an alarm/motion detector about 6 inches from the left rare speaker wires that are coming through the crown molding. Does that mean I need to have one of those real small speakers or is there a better way to get around that. Ill work on a picture for you guys since none of this probably makes much sense.
    You don't have to put in a 7.1 system, a 5.1 system is fine. Just don't use the side surrounds with the 5.1 system. Be careful, I've seen 5.1 system with one set of side wires... those were for a sub.

As for the motion detector/alarm thing. That depends on the mount and speaker and the motion detector. Usually there's an indicator light on the detector... once you put something in, check and see if has a significant blind spot by walking around the room and seeing if it triggers the sensor (light blinks, or turns on).
    Display: Epson HC 6100 Proj/106" Da-Lite High Power screen or Panasonic 50" Plasma
    Receiver & Speakers : Yamaha AVR HTR-5940 / Boston Acoustic LCR DSi495 & Rears DSi455 (In-Ceiling)
    Sources: Toshiba HD-A3 (86 titles), Panasonic BD655AK (240 titles), Sage TV HD HTPC (8TB), Comcast w/crappy HD, SD-DVD ~950

PurplePlatty is offline Member

Awesome guide, great read! Quick question about current prices and how things stack up now...

The Onkyo TX-SR508 is currently $250 (200 refurb), compared to the Pioneer VSX-920-K at $300...would you go for the Onkyo as the best low range 7.1 receiver based on that price point? Also, their 5.1 counterparts are basically the same price at about $180...which one gets the vote there?

Or is there anything new to this price range that's the better choice?
    Last edited by PurplePlatty; 10-22-2010 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePlatty View Post
    Awesome guide, great read! Quick question about current prices and how things stack up now...

The Onkyo TX-SR508 is currently $250 (200 refurb), compared to the Pioneer VSX-920-K at $300...would you go for the Onkyo as the best low range 7.1 receiver based on that price point? Also, their 5.1 counterparts are basically the same price at about $180...which one gets the vote there?

Or is there anything new to this price range that's the better choice?
    That's a real toss up. Either one, the Onkyo or the Pioneer would be excellent in that price range. There was a time not long ago when it would have been easy to pick the Pioneer over the Onkyo, but in this consumer range that's no longer true.

Myself, I'd probably pick the refurb Onkyo. Cheap is good.

Falmer is offline Member

This article is a godsend for newbies like me, Thanks.

Would you have any suggestion for 200-250$ receivers available in 2012?
    Most of the references listed in this list are out of stock ATM. I'm going to be ordering from Part Express to combine shipping (to abroad) so anything available on their website would be great.

Falmer is offline Member

Any suggestions guys?

Defshep is offline Member

Got my Onkyo from accessories4less.com. Amazon has the Energy RC Micro 5.0 set for $179.

homer is offline Member

Default in celing 5.1 question

I came across this guide and thought it was very helpful but was not sure if it was dated. I bought a home, family room (15'x14') was prewired for 5.1 in ceiling system. Looking for speakers and a sub and like the idea of doing monoprice 4929 for LCR and 4104 for rears. Is this setup still good or is there something better in this price range? Also is the center channel adequate? Any recs on the powered subs as well?

thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------

5.1 In-Ceiling - $360
    Purchase the angled speakers for the fronts, they provide sound that comes from a wall-mounted display. It is possible to mix Left and Right in-ceiling with a in-wall Center if you want to avoid wasting the extra angled in-ceiling speaker. For the rears, you don't need the angeled speakers as surround sound is not as directional, and should be more diffuse. For 7.1 add additional pair of surrounds to take you to a cost of $410.
    •Front Left and Right: 8 Inches Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofer (Monoprice #4929) - $79.92/pair
    •Center: 8 Inches Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofer (Monoprice #4929) - $79.92/pair (just use 1 speaker from the pair)
    •Surround Left and Right: 6-1/2 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - 60W Nominal, 120W Max. (Monoprice #4103) - $45.99/pair
    •Subwoofer: Dayton SUB-100 HT Series 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer for $142 shipped.

I have been using the Fluance SX-HTB+ for 7 years now, purchased it for my girlfriend's house when she allowed me to turn the formal living room into a home theater. It was the best I could find within my limited budget and it has been great. It has been used with a Yamaha RX-V663 7.1 receiver and JBL subwoofer and additional 2 surround speakers to make a 7.1 system. Upstairs in the master bedroom, Energy Take Classic 5.1 and an older Yamaha Receiver have been used for 5 years, a nice budget system for a small room but I know there are a lot of options at low prices for small rooms now.

Lone_Gunmen is offline Member

Picked up a Harman Kardon 5.1 AVR151 reciever and the JBL Balboa 5.1 speaker set recently for a reasonable price (Saved almost 500 bucks) . A lot of big box stores here in Aus are making a big push on home theatre lately. The reciever is nothing special, but the speakers are surprisingly good for the money.

Sarang is offline Member

I need some suggestions here in terms of a receiver. Which one's in that list can output 24/192? I'm looking at purchasing some 24/192 music tracks and I don't want the receiver down-sampling it to 24/92.
    OLED, your CRT replacement!!! Perfect blacks and contrast.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast