Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    grasp is offline Member

This is an excellent guide, I was just answering a couple PM's from someone on this very topic today. We chose some of the same stuff, interesting to see. I was looking myself to see what I could come up with for a subwoofer, and found your guide helpful too.

Cheers!

comixguru is offline Member

Updated this one slightly with The Speaker Company options. Nice find.
    Display: Epson HC 6100 Proj/106" Da-Lite High Power screen or Panasonic 50" Plasma
    Receiver & Speakers : Yamaha AVR HTR-5940 / Boston Acoustic LCR DSi495 & Rears DSi455 (In-Ceiling)
    Sources: Toshiba HD-A3 (86 titles), Panasonic BD655AK (240 titles), Sage TV HD HTPC (8TB), Comcast w/crappy HD, SD-DVD ~950

rac15074 is offline Member

Does anybody have reviews or comparisons of the Speaker Company packages and Energy Take Classic? Thought I was going to go with Polk, but seriously researching these two speaker packages. Heard bad things about Fluance's center speaker.

Mi6
    Mi6 is offline Member

comixguru, I want to thank you for putting this together. Audio is easily the most confusing part of setting up a HT for me.

I'd like to get a little clarification on some points for anyone out there who would be so kind to answer them. I apologize in advance for being completely in the dark on this subject matter. I have searched this site trying to get clarification on these issues but the more I read the more confused I seem to get.

OK, I am going to be basically starting from scratch on my HT with my tax return. I have already picked out my TV and plan on getting a PS3. My original plan was to use the PS3 as my BD player and also take advantage of its up-scaling capabilities for regular DVDs. After reading some threads here, it seems like that may not be the best option for me as people are saying that the up-scaling is not the best on the PS3.

My question is, can I go with the Sony STR-DG820 for example that is decoding and use my PS3 with it as a BD player until I buy a standalone BD player in the future?
    No limits. No fears. No substitutes.
    Military Intelligence, Section 6

holsty101 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mi6 View Post
    My question is, can I go with the Sony STR-DG820 for example that is decoding and use my PS3 with it as a BD player until I buy a standalone BD player in the future?
    Yes.
    (character limit)

Mi6
    Mi6 is offline Member

Cool. I figured that was the case. But like I said, this is all Greek to me. Thanks for all the info.
    No limits. No fears. No substitutes.
    Military Intelligence, Section 6

TheGreenDude is offline Member

Why pick that receiver though? You can't do worse than the DG720/820... With offerings from Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo and Pioneer in the same price range there's no reason to even consider those "options".

Quote Originally Posted by Mi6 View Post
    That would work out great.

There's nothing wrong with the PS3 as a upscaling SD DVD player. And it's a great game box, media hub, and BR player. I am not a fan of the Sony receivers myself, but my brother has the 820 it sounds and works fine and was a real bargain.

Those two Sony receivers represent the best bang for the buck in HDMI receiver. Looks like everyone else is about to jump in the low-end of the pond with decoding receivers for the price of the 720. I expect to see those low-end new Yamaha, Pioneer, and Onkyo AVRs stompin' all over those two Sony receivers in the next 60-90 days. If you are waiting on a Tax Return check... wait til it shows up before shopping. By April the receiver list could be mighty different.
    Display: Epson HC 6100 Proj/106" Da-Lite High Power screen or Panasonic 50" Plasma
    Receiver & Speakers : Yamaha AVR HTR-5940 / Boston Acoustic LCR DSi495 & Rears DSi455 (In-Ceiling)
    Sources: Toshiba HD-A3 (86 titles), Panasonic BD655AK (240 titles), Sage TV HD HTPC (8TB), Comcast w/crappy HD, SD-DVD ~950

Bump with some updates to the first post. Added 2009 products and many new bundles.

Still looking for 5.1 Speaker options under $400 shipped.

Bump with some minor updates.

954nole is offline Member

that was a great read...i will coming back reading this in a month when I am going to buy my Home Theater System

There's a bunch of new receivers out there and all sorts of other changes in the market. Time for major update.

I will likely remove "non-decoding" receivers, but add bundles that include a Blu-ray player for under $400.

AV_Integrated is offline Forum Member Moderator

It is probably worth adding the Monoprice in-wall speakers for those who are looking for an in-wall solution at a reasonable price. I've installed these for clients as well as my own basement (kid friendly) setup will be using nothing but these. I will report on the quality compared to my Paradigm & Def Tech setup after all is done, but from what I've heard so far, these are a typical great Monoprice value item...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10837

8" In-wall speaker pair: $53-$92
    6.5" In-wall pair: $42-$60
    5.25" In-wall pair: $39

Center channel: $39-$44 (one speaker)

So, a 5 speaker setup runs from $120 to $220 - with about $180 being a good combination.
    Add two more speakers for 7.1 setups for another $50 or so.

I would probably skip their passive in-wall subwoofer in favor of a better sub as this is an area where most people fall very short in quality, but because Monoprice is delivering 8" in-wall speakers it really does help round out the quality of sound from their speakers and an 8" size is often similar to the size of the cheaper subwoofers out there. Perhaps forgoing a cheap sub for a year is an option so people can save up for a better subwoofer.

At least a 12" sub would be a smart buy...
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-635

Better would be a 15", but quality subwoofers simply are not inexpensive in my experience unless you are willing to build it yourself.

Some more updates today. Updated Receivers and Value BR Players.

Next up Subwoofers and Cables. Should have the bundles complete by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Did some more updates, added in-wall/in-ceiling speaker bundles. Still working a Bookshelf section to the speakers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast