Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Is Vizio really a good brand?

My wife gets a discount at Wal*Mart and we're poor college students but I could convince her to pick up a TV there.. the problem is I'm not in love with any of the brands. We looked at TVs at Target today and she said 42" would be perfect (and the max size) for our apartment (of course, I disagree and want a 47 or 52"). Fact is, we have a pathetic 12" tube tv right now and it's set up across our 10x10 ft living room and we can barely see it so I'm itching for an upgrade.

Click Here For List of Wal*Mart TVs

From that list, I've picked out the Vizio to try to pitch to her to purchase. The other TVs on that list are Sanyo, Polaroid, RCA and AOC, and I'm not in love with any of those brands either. Couple of questions:

-Is 5000:1 dynamic contrast ratio good?
    -Are any of those TVs potentially better than the Vizio?
    -Any recommendations from that list?

Thanks guys!
    Ignore the contrast ratio numbers. For any models you are interested in, see if there are any reviews where they have measured the black level and give a real contrast ratio. There aren't many of these reviews though. Alternatively, just look at the screens and pick which one you think looks best. Really consider going plasma instead. You'd probably find one for cheaper than the LCD's and you'll get better PQ.
    For your situation,("poor college students") and for the price("My wife gets a discount at Wal*Mart") I would say get it. I would think it would be worth it.
    = 449 (55.2%)
    = 365 (44.8%)
    Last : Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: S6200, S5100 x2, Roku3, PCH-A400 x2, NTV550, Boxee Box x3, Roku2 x2, PCH-C200
    Gaming Systems: XBOne x2, PS4
    39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
    Vizio consistently gets pretty good reviews in the 'cheap TV' category. I would easily put them ahead of the other brands that you listed. They really do focus heavily on flat panels only and you don't see them trying to make DVD players, or A/V receivers - just TVs.

I've had two client's who have bought them, and while they aren't a Sony, Sharp, or Samsung - they are still some of the best that you can get for that level of money.

I would also agree - 42" is a bit on the small side at 10' and you would be fine with 47 or 52. That's ENTIRELY budget dependent though.

It is really amazing how quickly people get used to displays that sound to big at first. The first few days it seems big, the next week it seems perfectly normal.
    I know several people who purchased a Vizio televsion and they have been very happy. As far as I can tell, they are about the best "budget brand" you can currently get.
    Last edited by james; 09-11-2008 at 06:09 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Regardless.. I'll go down undefeated in this type of bet here.

December, 2014. Buh-bye.

I have a 32" inch LCD Vizio and love it. For the budget brands, it's definitely one of the best. Unless you can get a 720p Panasonic Plasma for cheap, I'd go with a Vizio.
    To buy or not to buy? That is the question....
    Quote Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
    It is really amazing how quickly people get used to displays that sound to big at first. The first few days it seems big, the next week it seems perfectly normal.

You just described the exact reason I'm starting a projector fund when I quit smoking cigarettes
    Proud Member of the DC Fanboy Club
    Indeed. I went from a 34" set to a 60" one (couch is 7' away). I made the mistake of trying to play Call of Duty 4 on the new set the second day I had it; I was a bit nauseated. Now I don't think anything of it.

Back on topic, Vizio is the brand of choice for Super8 Motel. I stayed in one recently, and the TV actually looked pretty good with games.
    Living room: Sony KDS-60A3000 LCoS rear projection (1080p/24 120Hz) | Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver | Energy "Take Classic" + "Act 1" 6.1 speaker system | Sony BDP-S580 BD player | Onkyo DVSP405 upscaling DVD player (1080p) | DirecTV HR21-700 | Logitech Harmony One

Bedroom: Sanyo DP32648 | Sony HT-CT100 sound bar | Sony BDP-480 BD player | DirecTV HR23-700 | Logitech Harmony 700
    I have a 37" Vizio in my game room and am very happy with it. I say if your wife gets a discount get one for a good price. Then upgrade in a few years when you can afford it you could always put the vizio in your bedroom or something.
    - Sick Sol
    -CSD607
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8477431

I have a friend who just bought this tv today using her mothers discount and I was actually surprised with the quality.I just got done helping her set it up. Its supposed to be a surprise for her hubby and hell be finding out about it tomorrow morning when he gets home from work. They are trying to conserve money because there is a bun in the oven but she wanted to surprise him because hes a pretty big eficiando like myself, lol.Anyways its a good looking tv.Pretty good black levels and the colors really pop. Id say go for it than in a few months try to get a two or 300 dollar surround sound for xmas lol,.
    Panny 50" 800u

Red + Blu=

let it be known that The Island is Michael Bays 1 good movie
    I just picked up the Vizio 32" Plasma from Walmart 3 days ago. It came out to $461 plus tax after my Walmart discount. After calibrating the tv to the recommended settings the picture looks fantastic. My only complaint is I should have gone for the 42" Vizio plasma instead. Oh by the way I own both LCD and plasma and I would definitely recommend plasma.
    Currently Playing: HALO 4, Dead Island
    My only complaint is I should have gone from the 42" Vizio plasma instead.
    There's a simple fix for that...return the 32"; this is Wal-Mart, after all.

A: Generally, we accept returns within 90 days after purchase. There are a few exceptions, including the below examples but not limited to these examples, to the 90-day rule:

* Computer components and computer accessories must be returned within 45 days.
    * Camcorders and digital cameras must be returned within 30 days.
    * Computers and postpaid cell phones must be returned within 15 days.
    * Prerecorded music, movies, and software products must be returned unopened.
    Living room: Sony KDS-60A3000 LCoS rear projection (1080p/24 120Hz) | Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver | Energy "Take Classic" + "Act 1" 6.1 speaker system | Sony BDP-S580 BD player | Onkyo DVSP405 upscaling DVD player (1080p) | DirecTV HR21-700 | Logitech Harmony One

Bedroom: Sanyo DP32648 | Sony HT-CT100 sound bar | Sony BDP-480 BD player | DirecTV HR23-700 | Logitech Harmony 700
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no, Vizio is not a good brand at all in my opinion. I think it makes far more sense to buy a smaller, better TV than to buy a bigger, lousy TV. The video processing in the LCD models are mediocre at best...which seems to me to defeat the purpose of HD. The plasmas are junk...a friend of mine bought the 52" plasma...it's burned-in every which way already. This is *the* budget brand...it's not like there are many cheapo alternatives.
    Anyone going from an old, small SD CRT set will be impressed, even with the lower end sets. Especially if on a budget it is a good deal. Get the cheaper priced set now and later when you have more money get a better, higher tier brand.
    Plus each year the panels get better, the processing gets better, and the prices go down.
    = 449 (55.2%)
    = 365 (44.8%)
    Last : Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: S6200, S5100 x2, Roku3, PCH-A400 x2, NTV550, Boxee Box x3, Roku2 x2, PCH-C200
    Gaming Systems: XBOne x2, PS4
    39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
    The Vizio VO42L has gotten good reviews, CNET gave it a 3 star review, while PCmag gave it a "good" ratings, for what its worth. The folks at avsforum have always given it postive feedback. From what ive read, it seems that the Vizio sets have gotten better in quality with each new model line. Unless your in a rush to get it my advice would be to wait untill thanksgiving, its only 2 months away and you've waited this long the extra wait might be worth it imo.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

A very good chance you will be able to pickup a Vizio 42 Inch for $700, possible that its going to be a constant price cut.

As well, you may be able to pickup a brand name 720p set for around or alittle more than that price, in the plasma variety ide say.