Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last>>

Default Whats better.... DLP or 3LCD? when it comes to projectors

So i still have a couple of months till i save up enough for an HD projector and make my final choice. Ive been looking at 3LCD, but my freind tells me DLP is the way to go when it comes to home theater projector, what do you experts say?
    My Setup: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...eWrathOfBambi/
    Lumenlabs evo 1.2 LCD video projector
    JVC RX-D411S 7.1 surround sound receiver
    Playstation 3 40 gig version
    Xbox 360
    Toshiba HD-A3 Player = Bought another one got a really cheap deal and couldnt resist... lol plus, hd dvd's can be bought for super cheap now!
    Sega Dreamcast Nintendo wii
    Blu Rays i own: 20
    HD DVD's i own 21
    Well when its comes to RPTV I'd say Sony 3LCDs are better than DLPs......but i'm no expert. I think Sony E3000 has better picture than RPTV DLP I have seen....does that carry over to front projectors?
    Last edited by junglalien; 08-04-2008 at 09:08 AM.
    When it comes to front projectors, I believe that LCD is better than DLP. Comparison of specific models at various price points might result in a recommendation of the DLP, but in general, I believe LCD is better. You won't get unanimous approval for either type with this question.

Chris
    3LCD has 3 chips one for each primary color. DLP uses one chip and a color wheel. The color wheel is a moving part that can cause "rainbow effect" or break up of colors. I don't know what models you are looking at but it seems people here find the Epsons to be outstanding projectors and I believe they use 3LCD.
    EDIT: I guess they have 3 chip DLP now but it may be expensive. I'm going to stop talking now since I'm getting into something I don't know that much about and let some projector folks comment.
    Rainbow effect is greatly reduced in modern DLPs with fast color wheel speeds. Only people who are extremely sensitive to it will ever see it. There is a biological component involved in whether you are sensitive to this or not (most people are not).

The problem with using 3 chips for color reproduction (regardless of technology format) is that you need perfect convergence or you'll get color separation artifacts and a loss of detail.

Both technologies are very good. You can get excellent products of either type. DLP still has better contrast, generally speaking.

LCD tends to look too "digital" for my preference, IMO.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Totally agree with that statement.
    Sony VPL-HW55ES w/ a 118" 16x9 screen
    Emotiva XPA-7; Integra DHC-80.3
    NHT 3.3 (L,R) NHT AC-2 (C) NHT AC-2 (Side Surrounds) NHT AC-2 (Rear Surrounds) HSU VTF3-HO and HSU VTF-15H (Subs)
    Oppo BDP-103D; Sony HAP-S1/S Hi-Res Music Player; Panamax 5100-EX; Directv HR-20
    : 466 Last Purchased: Oblivion
    3D: 38 Last Purchased: Guardians of the Galaxy
    http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/56857-scott-b
    I really don't think one is better than the other with the technologies these days but from my experiences dlp does have issues with ease of setup.The dlp projectors i've had are very inflexible as far as zoom on the lens and angle of projection so it has taken me hrs sometimes to get it to fit the screen at the proper angle.
    The lcd projector i had though was very easy to set up with an angle adjustment for the lens and good zoom.
    yeah... right now i have a Non-HD lcd projector that was very easy to set up the first day i got it i pretty much had to just hook everything up and i was ready to go... had to mess with the zoom a bit to get the screen just right but thats a givin. So i guess 3 lcd may be the way to go for me if its just as easy going, i actually like the picture quality LCD gives from what ive seen
    My Setup: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...eWrathOfBambi/
    Lumenlabs evo 1.2 LCD video projector
    JVC RX-D411S 7.1 surround sound receiver
    Playstation 3 40 gig version
    Xbox 360
    Toshiba HD-A3 Player = Bought another one got a really cheap deal and couldnt resist... lol plus, hd dvd's can be bought for super cheap now!
    Sega Dreamcast Nintendo wii
    Blu Rays i own: 20
    HD DVD's i own 21
    IMO DLP (if implemented right) is the best quality for Front Projectors..

Why else would Runco's use that technology? Some consider them the best in the bizz but they come with a very hefty price tag..

I do like 3LCD rear projections though, My friend has an SXRD and it looks very awesome..
    Just exactly as expected, there is no universal correct answer. A specific installation might favor one over the other and obviously anybody with the DLP rainbow or headache issue will prefer LCD. No way to make the room dark and no DLP headaches or rainbow effect and the better contrast ratio definitely favors DLP. In a totally dark room, I prefer LCD, color saturation looks better to me, but I could live with either technology and the fact both can be preferred and both can be a good value means both continue to exist.

Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    DLP still has better contrast, generally speaking.

I would trade that for better brightness levels any day of the week. I have yet to have had any contrast issues with my Panny, though I've heard the Sony SXRD's have better color and deep blacks similar to that of DLP's, though still suffer from the same brightness issues. I honestly think it comes down to what you use the PJ for. Considering I do 60% gaming to 40% movie watching, I prefer LCD's to DLP's.
    Last edited by Godstar; 08-06-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    The nerd is a tirelessly predictable creature whom the promise of boobies is like a bacon sandwich to a starving wolf. - Yahtzee
    List of My Games!
    Audio:
    Denon AVR4311CI+SVS 1646 PC Plus Subwoofer+Paradigm Monitor 9V5 x 2+
    Paradim CC-390+Paradigm ADP-370 x 2
    Video:Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector
    Consoles:Wii+WiiU+Gamecube+PS3+360+DSi XLS & Lite+PSP*2+Dreamcast+Saturn+SNES+Genesis
    PSN/WiiU:Godstar/XBL:G0DSTAR --> with a zero.
    Both have pros and cons. It is critical that you know where you are planning to mount your projector, how big your screen will be, etc. LCD projectors are typically more flexible with regards to placement and are generally quieter. I ended up going the LCD route because I have my PJ placed on a rear shelf and had some tricky ductwork in my basement where my media area is and needed a PJ with good flexibility with regards to placement and lens shift. My LCD FP is silent as well and not all DLP PJ's are quiet. So if you are mounting the PJ anywhere within ear shot you may want to do your research.
    You've heard both answers, and the bottom line is that neither technology is head and shoulders above the other.

I do think that DLP can handle black levels better than LCD is capable of, but to get a properly implemented DLP solution it typically is going to run a fair bit more coin than a LCD model will run you, often a good deal more. Some of the cheaper models are similarly priced, but completely lack the lens versatility and overall build quality of the LCD models.

LCD, for front projection at 1080p starts under $2,000 and ends right around $3,000. There aren't a lot of crazy expensive 1080p LCD projectors on the market designed for home theater use.

In contrast, a decent DLP more or less starts where LCD leaves off and goes up.. way up, from there. $5,000... $10,000 is not an uncommon price point for DLP, and you get good fast color wheels and engineering for a product which will last for years. Great color, and excellent black levels.

LCoS, which isn't mentioned and is called DiLA or SXRD by JVC and Sony respectively, is often considered a mid-line gold standard. Especially the JVC RS series of projectors. (RS1, RS1x, RS2) and for the money are what many people turn to for the perfect combination of color, shadow detail, motion handling, and brightness.

But, it is the individual implementation that truly matters, especially as it holds up against your personal budget. If your budget allows you to afford (easily) a good $10,000 DLP, then that's a great way to go. If you only have $2,500 or so, then I'd be looking at LCD. If you have more like $5K, then I'd be getting a JVC LCoS projector.

Not one of those decisions is a poor one, but there are certain subtleties of quality which you get across every price point and from each technology which you gotta do some research on before you make a purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    IMO DLP (if implemented right) is the best quality for Front Projectors..

Why else would Runco's use that technology? Some consider them the best in the bizz but they come with a very hefty price tag..

I do like 3LCD rear projections though, My friend has an SXRD and it looks very awesome..
    1. SXRD is not a 3LCD technology.
    2. Runco is a glam and glitz brand name which rich people buy because they are to foolish to do any homework. Go to ProjectorReviews or ProjectorCentral and ask yourself why almost every single major brand is covered by these sites, but Runco only lets their projectors get 'reviewed' by Robb Report? Answer: Because a serious review of their overpriced garbage would reveal that their $15,000 stuff is no better than the $5,000 JVC, or only a bit better than the $3,000 Epson 1080UB.

Don't buy a label ever! Buy a properly reviewed projector with a history for quality of build, not a propensity for breaking down.

Note: Robb Report even said that the high end Runco they got wasn't good for 'channel surfing'. Basic channel changing is to much for Runco to even do properly. Crap, crap, crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
    1. SXRD is not a 3LCD technology.
    2. Runco is a glam and glitz brand name which rich people buy because they are to foolish to do any homework. Go to ProjectorReviews or ProjectorCentral and ask yourself why almost every single major brand is covered by these sites, but Runco only lets their projectors get 'reviewed' by Robb Report? Answer: Because a serious review of their overpriced garbage would reveal that their $15,000 stuff is no better than the $5,000 JVC, or only a bit better than the $3,000 Epson 1080UB.

Don't buy a label ever! Buy a properly reviewed projector with a history for quality of build, not a propensity for breaking down.

Note: Robb Report even said that the high end Runco they got wasn't good for 'channel surfing'. Basic channel changing is to much for Runco to even do properly. Crap, crap, crap.
    Thanks for the info AV, I'm one of the fools who bought one of the Runco projectors, even though I really enjoy the one I have, I always felt that I somehow got ripped off. I'm looking to upgrade now, any suggestions you may have? Money is no concern, so I can spend quite a bit. I'm a movie geek and hate going to see films in theater, too many annoying people in theaters. If you know the best home projector out there, please advise. Thanks.
    My system:
    Projector - 1080p Runco Video Xtreme VX-2000d
    Screen - 120 inch Carada
    Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player
    Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver
    Martin Logan Clarity Speakers