Default What does the pre-out do?

Ive seen these recievers that have RCA jacks that say pre out.

Ive been looking at this reciever http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...2RXV663&tp=179

Is that a different way to connect speakers? Or can you have 2 sets of speakers?
    Blu-Ray: 124
    PS3 40gb for Blu-ray only Regular Blu-ray player.
    Media Center PC with 4TB of movies and tv shows - 10TB of storage total.
    4 Xbox 360's used for gaming and Media Center extenders - no more crappy cable boxes!
    2 Apple TV's for audio streaming/Movies.
    So you can route the (un amplified) signal to an external power amp. (uhh, I think)
    Quote Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
    So you can route the (un amplified) signal to an external power amp. (uhh, I think)
    thats right. Preouts are unamplified signals, used for external amplifiers which have pre INs. Just like your sub (which uses its own amplifier) has a pre in (that RCA plug that says LFE) and the receiver has a sub output, which is a preout.
    ohhh ok thanks. Do a lot of people use that?
    Blu-Ray: 124
    PS3 40gb for Blu-ray only Regular Blu-ray player.
    Media Center PC with 4TB of movies and tv shows - 10TB of storage total.
    4 Xbox 360's used for gaming and Media Center extenders - no more crappy cable boxes!
    2 Apple TV's for audio streaming/Movies.
    Ummm, I don't know really. I've always thought of it like a little used upgrade path, so if at some point you wanna take a step up to separate a processor/power amp combo you can do it in stages rather than having a big outlay in one hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by CXK View Post
    ohhh ok thanks. Do a lot of people use that?
    There aren't many who do use it, but it is a common feature of better receivers. I think it's pretty much a guarantee NOT to sell a receiver if someone has external amplifiers, then a receiver without pre-outs will not be in their equipment rack.

Pretty much every mid-level or better receiver will have pre-outs (line level outputs). Likewise, many will have 5.1 or 7.1 line level inputs.
    AV is correct. Pre-outs are not 'commonly used' because to get better amplification that is currently available in most mid-range receivers ($1500+) you are going to have to spend a LOT of money.

And yes, you too can have the Denon pre-pro/amp combo for the low low price of $15,000 (before taxes).